Vegetables help please

do you weigh yours frozen or cooked if u have frozen? I have broccoli and cauliflower and would like some with my dinner tonight but not sure how to weigh them!?

Thanks in advance :-) xx

Replies

• If you don't have a food scale then you would just measure by cups. They sell digital food scales at Target for around $30.00 just make sure you get one that zero's out if you put a plate on it before putting the food on.
  • do you weigh yours frozen or cooked if u have frozen? I have broccoli and cauliflower and would like some with my dinner tonight but not sure how to weigh them!?

Thanks in advance :-) xx

I just don't weight them. There are very few vegetables that you can eat too much of.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    I'm with Arronlock. I never weigh my veggies. I guesstimate the measurement for recipe building or whatever, but I think that the more the merrier as far as intake.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 610 Member
    I usually measure by the cup, but if weighing I would probably go with unfrozen.
  • You can usually find different values for differently prepared foods either on MFP or nutritiondata.self.com, like cooked vs raw broccoli will have different nutritional information per gram, weigh whichever stage is convenient and look up the type that matches. If its frozen in a package, weigh it frozen and use the values on that package. But for example a package of oats or rice might have values for '1 cup prepared, half cup unprepared' ... look at the package. Personally for raw stuff I make myself I do my nutrition information from raw and add in cooking oil or whatever. Just seems easier and more precise.
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    For me, I focus less on weight and more on whether it's 1 cup, 2 cups, 1/2 cup, etc. However, anything leafy and/or green, just load it up. Anything a little more starchy is probably best to measure.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    I don't but I use this:

cup is about the size of my fist
    ounce the size of my thumb
    4 ounces the palm of my hand
    2 ounces index and middle finger

I agree to not worry about veggies~ everything else measure and weigh. I use measuring cups all the time.
  • i measure in cups
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Just have as much as you like - roughly 1 fist = 100g or 1 cup! I wouldn't worry too much as veg fill you up!
  • I would weigh them cooked, but I just measure in cups. And I also agree that you don't have to worry about having too many veggies.
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    I agree that veggies are "free" and don't need to be measured or weighed......unless you're loading them up with butter or rich sauces. But if you're just cooking them and sprinkling seasoning on them, the more the better!