How do you.. secret exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• armacd
    armacd Posts: 95
    Options
    100 chair dips at my desk throughout the day.. every other day!

This whole "rolling chair" thing gets me every time!!

I damn sure tried though.

LOL

:laugh:

I have a rolling chair at work too, but i back it into the corner of my office... no rolling :). I also occasional wear ankle weights and when I'm at home, I'll do lunges as i walk around the house or do squats when loading laundry into the machine instead of just bending over. It's all about finding ways to incorporate it into things you have to do anyways :). Sometimes at work i'll even close my office door and do some pushups lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am not talking full-on exercising, but more like secret little bits of exercise throughout the day.

On Black Friday I wore ankle weights while shopping. It was amazing. That night my calves hurt so bad (but felt so good) and when I took the weights off, my ankles look amazing. I am thinking I should start wearing them to work daily.

Sorry if I'm raining on your parade, but you should be careful about over using ankle weights. Walking around in them all day might lead to lower back issues.

How exactly would ankle weights lead to lower back problems?

It would strengthen your iliopsoas for lifting your leg up and forward, hamstring for leg bend up. And of course calves as mentioned for pushing off.
    While a rather limited workout, it does strengthen a few things folks may want.

I guess the issue would be if your iliopsoas got so much stronger than your gluteus maximus that it rotated your hip girdle down in front, causing more curvature to the back, pinching nerves.

But I'd think as many of us are sitting for so long of periods of time, having over-strengthed iliopsoas is not a likely problem.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I like the ankle weight idea!

At work I get up every 1-1/2 or so and walk this loop through the office twice. Takes about 5 minutes and it's better than sitting all day.
    I also do 10 squats every time I go to the bathroom.
    When doing the dishes I do leg raises as I stand at the sink. My husbands laughs but mentioned how great my butt is looking
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I wear a step counter all day so I am marching in place sometimes, taking extra stairs or going to the bathroom further away to up my step count.
  • nyprdiva
    nyprdiva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Living in a pedestrian friendly area (NYC Metro) I'm lucky that I can opt to walk everywhere. Yesterday I ended up walking 5 miles as i went back and forth across midtown. I even do little challenges like how fast can i get from the west side back to Grand Central to catch my train home. When I'm home running errands...I walk everywhere. And Westchester is super hilly so you get a lot of resistance work while running errands.