Please help me get my mind right

Options
I’m extremely close to my initial goal, I’m actually quite happy at this weight I but would still like to lose a little fat and build muscle. I have recently started a running program and training 1 on 1 w/ the trainer of the boot camp class I’ve been going to. In the last two weeks I’ve lost about 4 pounds, the only difference I’ve made is adding in a few 2-3 mile runs to my normal workout routine to train for a 10k.

This is the quickest I’ve lost poundage since I first started so I was kind of curious about it and suspected that it might be muscle mass - hoping it was fat but likely it was muscle :(. Last night I met w/ my trainer, he started me off on leg presses – 180 pounds on the incline sled (I'm small). I was Immediately gassed. He suspected that I hadn’t eaten enough so he started asking questions.

Since, I’ve been focused on weight loss I’ve been eating 1200 net calories, he told me that it was WAY too low and I should be at 1800. I need some feedback to help get my mind right.

I don't want to gain weight and I'd hate to return all the tiny clothes I just got.

Replies

• withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you want to have muscle, you will need to eat. Plain and simple.

Increase your calories by adding in things with extra protein and good fats. Fish, nut butters, whole grains, milk. You can add those calories with a slice of whole wheat toast, smeared thick with peanut butter and a glass of milk as an extra snack and boom, you just added 3-400 great calories to your day.
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Increase your calories by adding in things with extra protein and good fats. Fish, nut butters, whole grains, milk. You can add those calories with a slice of whole wheat toast, smeared thick with peanut butter and a glass of milk as an extra snack and boom, you just added 3-400 great calories to your day.

Very true! This is what I need, I've been fat & carb averse in my weight-loss mode and its hard to break out. I've tweaked my settings so I don't freakout when logging these things. Thanks for the advice.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough if you want to gain muscle.
  • crystalinda
    Options

I don't want to gain weight I want to gain muscle, that being said would appx. 1500 calories be suitable? Opinions welcome...
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Ditto!

You will need to eat more to gain any muscle mass. Focus on protein for strong and durable muscles!

Have fun with the weight/strength training! I am just starting out with weights. Liking it way more than I thought I would!
    :smile:
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I think you should not target weight loss but fat loss(ie..bodyfat loss). If the true goal is to lean out, lift, eat properly and concentrate on your bodyfat numbers. Let the weight be where it will be. That approach will get you into your smaller clothes. That is if you don't gain too much muscle. :heart:
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to eat :) Keep up the great work though!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals, on top of this you should also be eating back the calories you burn from exercise. So if you ate the 1800 and burned say 1400, that would be like eating 1400 and not working out.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

If your deficit is too large with the amount you have to lose you will most likely loss a large % of lean mass, not just the fat you are looking at dropping. On top of that make sure you are getting adequate protein (20-30%) of total calories should suffice, MFP defaults to 15% so you should be over that every day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I don't want to gain weight I want to gain muscle, that being said would appx. 1500 calories be suitable? Opinions welcome...

1500 would probably no be enough eating 1500 and say you burn 400 would be like eating 1100 cals and not working out. If you mean 1500 Net (1500 plus eat back what you burn) then yes 1500 sounds like a good number.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    The way to lose fat and build muscle is to make sure you are on a weight maintenance program a bit high in lean proteins.
    Make sure you are doing as much resistance as cardio.

And watch the results! Good Luck - you can do this!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I will use me as an example. I currently eat 1800 calories a day, because I lift weights in addition to doing cardio. Our bodies need this in order to sustain a level of health. Plus, make sure to eat your protein - about a gram per pound, i.e. I eat about 120ish grams a day.

You, on the other hand, since you do not want to gain, could increase to say 1600, but I wouldn't go much lower.... Just my opinion
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'd increase slowly. Maybe 200 calories a week. You probably want to be right around your maintenance right now.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Very true! This is what I need, I've been fat & carb averse in my weight-loss mode and its hard to break out. I've tweaked my settings so I don't freakout when logging these things. Thanks for the advice.
    I've been very fat averse for years, (heart issues in the family) But have discovered what I call "happy fats" (Mostly plant or fish based) really good for brain function and reducing risk of diabetes (also runs rampant in my family) Yes calorie heavy, but also takes a very small amount to feel satisfied.
  • crystalinda
    Options
    Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals, on top of this you should also be eating back the calories you burn from exercise. So if you ate the 1800 and burned say 1400, that would be like eating 1400 and not working out.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

If your deficit is too large with the amount you have to lose you will most likely loss a large % of lean mass, not just the fat you are looking at dropping. On top of that make sure you are getting adequate protein (20-30%) of total calories should suffice, MFP defaults to 15% so you should be over that every day.

Awesome info. I did just bump down to the setting of losing .5/lb per week and upped my activity level to lightly active, and moved my planned workout setting to reflect my new running program. This put me at appx. 1500 calories (which I will keep to net). Thanks for shedding light on the MFP protein default, I'm ALWAYS over and thought the default was too low but never knew why.

I appreciate your post, its def helpful
  • crystalinda
    Options
    I will use me as an example. I currently eat 1800 calories a day, because I lift weights in addition to doing cardio. Our bodies need this in order to sustain a level of health. Plus, make sure to eat your protein - about a gram per pound, i.e. I eat about 120ish grams a day.

You, on the other hand, since you do not want to gain, could increase to say 1600, but I wouldn't go much lower.... Just my opinion

opinion appreciated, amazing profile pic!