Half Marathon Training

Options
I'm just finishing up my 10K training, the run is next weekend. Been looking ahead to other events and there's a half marathon in October that I'd like to run.

I got a half training schedule from my friend who works for a major running company.... while I don't mind dedicating myself to training, this one requires a 5 day commitment for 18 weeks. My current 10K training was a 4/day week commitment for 12 weeks.

My question is, can I get away with the training for the Half with only 4 sessions/week? The 18 week commitment isn't the issue but the 5 days is.

I should mention that I the days I don't run I still get some form of HI cardio in; I'm in pretty good shape and plan to lose the last of my belly over the next few months. ;)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• losinglynn
    losinglynn Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm just finishing up my 10K training, the run is next weekend. Been looking ahead to other events and there's a half marathon in October that I'd like to run.

I got a half training schedule from my friend who works for a major running company.... while I don't mind dedicating myself to training, this one requires a 5 day commitment for 18 weeks. My current 10K training was a 4/day week commitment for 12 weeks.

My question is, can I get away with the training for the Half with only 4 sessions/week? The 18 week commitment isn't the issue but the 5 days is.

I should mention that I the days I don't run I still get some form of HI cardio in; I'm in pretty good shape and plan to lose the last of my belly over the next few months. ;)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    That is great!!! Here is a 3 day a wk trng courtesy of my friend Jess and a running site. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Sounds like you got the racing bug. It is fun. Isn't it?

5 days sounds like a lot. Runner's World has an awesome program called FIRST. Plus, they have a tool called Smart Coach that can help you develop a customized program.

Let me know if you have any questions about the workouts.:flowerforyou:
  • larthur
    larthur Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've trained for 2 full marathons and 4 half marathons on a 3 day running week. I run Monday, wednesday and saturday. Tuesday is yoga day and thursday I bike or some other form of cardio and usually I take friday and sunday's off. You'll do fine on most variations as long as you DON'T skip or miss your long run. I've had weeks here and there where the only run I did was my long run (which I don't recomend) and still did fine on my races. You'll do fine!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I agree with larthur, your weekly long run is key!

I run Tues/Thur & Saturday mornings. I've been able to lengthen my Saturday run about every other weekend.

October will give you plenty of time to train!! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the FIRST training plan now!

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-9369-0,00.html

I have done Hal Higdon's 5 days a week of running and did nothing but get injured.

3 days a week is plenty, but try to cross train also!!! I lifted weights, used the elliptical, and swam. I'm also a triathlete so this worked perfect for me!

Good luck, I just ran 2 half marathons 3 weeks apart and PR'ed for both of them w/ the FIRST plan!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I think the FIRST program is great, too. Gives you a chance to cross train / rest to prevent injury, but is a little more intense than many basic programs, so you get better results than a 'running 5-6 days a week' program.
  • larthur
    larthur Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do think the key to a 3 day running week is the cross training. You continue to train your body but with less injuries and you become a more well rounded athlete. Most of the time my running days are also my swimming or weight lifting days, and my yoga day might also be the day I bike or use the elipticle. I love to run but I love to have a lot of things to choose from.