170 pounds down...10 more to go with pics

Options
kikkipoo
kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
I was going to wait until I hit my goal to post on here, but by George, I'm a success right now! My story is pretty typical in so many ways. A lifetime of struggling with obesity, until it eventually became a struggle with morbid obesity. It's been a long time, but I can still remember the feeling of being winded just bending over to tie my shoes, or the fear of holding my baby on my hip for fear of stretching her little legs out too far. I remember a lot of tears and depression and general feeling of worthlessness, but most of all, I remember being invisible. You know that feeling you get when you see something so disturbing that you look away at fear of being the one busted for looking? I was that disturbance. If I ever bothered to look up, I would see nothing but heads turning away. And mentally, I could hear their thoughts saying "WOW". I was that big.

In December of 2003 after years of trying to get insurance approval, I had gastric bypass surgery. Tell me I took the easy way out. I didn't care...that's what I was hoping for at the time. But it wasn't easy. I got very sick. 17 days post op I was rushed off to the ER in an ambulance after having my suture line on my newly resized stomach rupture and cause a toxic leak internally. I was gutted open, repaired and remained hospitalized for 2 weeks, in which I ended up developing a serious infection and eventually got sent home with a feeding tube and IV antibiotics. I received home health care and ate through a hole in my stomach for a couple of months, while wearing drainage tubes over my body where the infection was being released out of. It was an absolute nightmare, but I did get better. And I vowed it would one day all be worth it, and that nothing was going to stop me.
It has been worth it, and nothing has stopped me!

Don't get me wrong. I don't give credit to the surgery for all my success. I went from 320 to probably 190 effortlessly. I puked when I overate. I got hyperglycemic when I ate sugar. I never exercised. I didn't have to. It worked all on its own. Then, I got pregnant with my second child. I began grazing all day just to get in my nutrients. I found foods I could tolerate, and got a large chunk of calories from soda. I was literally doing everything my surgeon taught me not to do. After the baby was born, I had a rough patch in life for several years. And depression took over again and my self worth diminished and I also learned my surgery was done doing it's job. What I had left was all up to me.

2 years ago I began the process of divorce and getting my life back on track. A short stint of happiness and being health conscious got me down to 160....Yay, I felt like a success! But falling in love, dating again, getting remarried, and getting comfortable, I got back up to 170 quick. :Insert brakes screeching here!:

No way did I go through all this just to get heavy again. No way was I going to become something different from what my husband fell in love with. No way was I going to start self loathing and being too tired and lazy to enjoy my family. And no way did I want that for my husband, who could probably attribute his own 5-10 pound regain to the same things.

A lot of people lose weight to fit into a wedding dress or for wedding pictures. I said my vows to my husband first, and then made the committment to let the next phase of my life be the healthiest and happiest. He waited 30 years to find me, I owe him that!

I started out 320 pounds and a size 32 in women's plus size clothing. I joined MFP on October 3rd weighing 170 pounds and a size 14-16. To date I am now 150 pounds and a size 8. I am no longer obese, I am no longer even considered overweight. I for the first time in my life fall into a NORMAL BMI. My goal is to lose about 10 more pounds and start doing some weight training. I hate feeling weak. I want to be strong and powerful. I want my body to match my spirit. And, I will get there! I can promise you that.

So, without further ado...here are the pics

DECEMBER 2003....Checking in at the hospital for gastric bypass
[img]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/Thin1day/before and after/pre-op.jpg[/img]

DECEMBER 2003...ABOUT TO BE WHEELED AWAY FOR SURGERY. I WAS SO HAPPY TO BEGIN THE REST OF MY LIFE
[img]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/Thin1day/before and after/pre-ophospitalbed.jpg[/img]

NOVEMBER 2010...PRETTY HAPPY WITH MYSELF AT THIS POINT
[img]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/Thin1day/Wedding Day 8_20_2011/JoeandI.jpg[/img]

SUMMER 2011...IN LOVE AGAIN...HAPPY AND HEALTHY
[img]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/Thin1day/Wedding Day 8_20_2011/happyandhealthy.jpg[/img]

WEDDING DAY :)
[img]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/Thin1day/Wedding Day 8_20_2011/wedding.jpg[/img]

AND THEN IT STARTED CREEPING BACK ON AND I REALIZED i WAS OUT OF CONTROL
[img]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/Thin1day/Wedding Day 8_20_2011/Camping.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/Thin1day/Wedding Day 8_20_2011/meandJoe.jpg[/img]

A MONTH IN ON MFP 10 POUNDS DOWN...HALLOWEEN 2011
[img]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/Thin1day/Wedding Day 8_20_2011/HalloweenGypsy.jpg[/img]

Hopefully I'll have a newer one to post soon. These last few pounds make big changes fast. I love that.

Replies

• lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    That is AMAZING...! Love the pictures. You look like a new person.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    I was going to wait until I hit my goal to post on here, but by George, I'm a success right now! My story is pretty typical in so many ways. A lifetime of struggling with obesity, until it eventually became a struggle with morbid obesity. It's been a long time, but I can still remember the feeling of being winded just bending over to tie my shoes, or the fear of holding my baby on my hip for fear of stretching her little legs out too far. I remember a lot of tears and depression and general feeling of worthlessness, but most of all, I remember being invisible. You know that feeling you get when you see something so disturbing that you look away at fear of being the one busted for looking? I was that disturbance. If I ever bothered to look up, I would see nothing but heads turning away. And mentally, I could hear their thoughts saying "WOW". I was that big.

In December of 2003 after years of trying to get insurance approval, I had gastric bypass surgery. Tell me I took the easy way out. I didn't care...that's what I was hoping for at the time. But it wasn't easy. I got very sick. 17 days post op I was rushed off to the ER in an ambulance after having my suture line on my newly resized stomach rupture and cause a toxic leak internally. I was gutted open, repaired and remained hospitalized for 2 weeks, in which I ended up developing a serious infection and eventually got sent home with a feeding tube and IV antibiotics. I received home health care and ate through a hole in my stomach for a couple of months, while wearing drainage tubes over my body where the infection was being released out of. It was an absolute nightmare, but I did get better. And I vowed it would one day all be worth it, and that nothing was going to stop me.
    It has been worth it, and nothing has stopped me!

Don't get me wrong. I don't give credit to the surgery for all my success. I went from 320 to probably 190 effortlessly. I puked when I overate. I got hyperglycemic when I ate sugar. I never exercised. I didn't have to. It worked all on its own. Then, I got pregnant with my second child. I began grazing all day just to get in my nutrients. I found foods I could tolerate, and got a large chunk of calories from soda. I was literally doing everything my surgeon taught me not to do. After the baby was born, I had a rough patch in life for several years. And depression took over again and my self worth diminished and I also learned my surgery was done doing it's job. What I had left was all up to me.

2 years ago I began the process of divorce and getting my life back on track. A short stint of happiness and being health conscious got me down to 160....Yay, I felt like a success! But falling in love, dating again, getting remarried, and getting comfortable, I got back up to 170 quick. :Insert brakes screeching here!:

No way did I go through all this just to get heavy again. No way was I going to become something different from what my husband fell in love with. No way was I going to start self loathing and being too tired and lazy to enjoy my family. And no way did I want that for my husband, who could probably attribute his own 5-10 pound regain to the same things.

A lot of people lose weight to fit into a wedding dress or for wedding pictures. I said my vows to my husband first, and then made the committment to let the next phase of my life be the healthiest and happiest. He waited 30 years to find me, I owe him that!

I started out 320 pounds and a size 32 in women's plus size clothing. I joined MFP on October 3rd weighing 170 pounds and a size 14-16. To date I am now 150 pounds and a size 8. I am no longer obese, I am no longer even considered overweight. I for the first time in my life fall into a NORMAL BMI. My goal is to lose about 10 more pounds and start doing some weight training. I hate feeling weak. I want to be strong and powerful. I want my body to match my spirit. And, I will get there! I can promise you that.

So, without further ado...here are the pics

DECEMBER 2003....Checking in at the hospital for gastric bypass
    pre-op.jpg

DECEMBER 2003...ABOUT TO BE WHEELED AWAY FOR SURGERY. I WAS SO HAPPY TO BEGIN THE REST OF MY LIFE
    pre-ophospitalbed.jpg

NOVEMBER 2010...PRETTY HAPPY WITH MYSELF AT THIS POINT
    JoeandI.jpg

SUMMER 2011...IN LOVE AGAIN...HAPPY AND HEALTHY
    happyandhealthy.jpg

AND THEN IT STARTED CREEPING BACK ON AND I REALIZED i WAS OUT OF CONTROL
    Camping.jpg

meandJoe.jpg

A MONTH IN ON MFP 10 POUNDS DOWN...HALLOWEEN 2011
    HalloweenGypsy.jpg

Hopefully I'll have a newer one to post soon. These last few pounds make big changes fast. I love that.
    Fixed it for you.

EDIT: Well at least I thought I did.:huh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Can't see the pics but what an amazing story!
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    Sorry guys, temporary problem with pics but looks like all is well now. Apparently I can't use spaces or they get replaced with %20 and you can't capitalize IMG. Talk about picky. LOL
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you!! Congrats!! You look amazing!
  • missycmckee
    Options
    you are very beautful i am 356 and working my hardest to lose it with out have a labbound surgary i hope i can do it and look as great as u
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You and your family are just beautiful. The determination you have comes right off the page... I believe in you girl! I know you will have more pics and more success coming... and I know the tools on MFP are all we need to do this! Nice to have that confidence huh!

:)
    Deedee
  • miss_kisha
    miss_kisha Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    what a beautiful story
  • leah02
    leah02 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So happy for you!!
  • MissMisery1313
    Options
    Amazing! Rock on, girl! :drinker:
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Inspiring! It's like a different person. You have great determination. I'm so glad you posted. I'm on my last 5 or so lbs and sooo struggling. You made me think that I am just getting comfortable here and I want to be comfortable there.

Beautiful! You were before too but you look so healthy now and the gleam in your eye is brighter.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Amazing, you look great!
  • megansoriano
    Options
    You are breathtaking! 170lb is such an accomplishment. . .congratulations!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - you look GREAT! :flowerforyou:
  • zoe4friends
    zoe4friends Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!! very inspirational!!!
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Congrats!!! You earned it!!!
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I needed this today! Very inspirational!!!!:heart:
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You look completely different. Congrats
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You look gorgeous! And I hope you dont mind me saying ... but where'd all the skin go?? Congratulations! Xx
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    You look gorgeous! And I hope you dont mind me saying ... but where'd all the skin go?? Congratulations! Xx

The skin is my demon. I did have a tummy tuck in 2006. The belly hang was unbearable. I still battle the loose arm hang and thighs. You can't lose that much and expect to bounce back. As you can see in my pics my arms are not pretty. And my thighs are bad enough I can only wear board shorts and long dresses. I would get the surgery but I really can't afford it and I'd rather see what adding some muscle definition will do before adding more scars that can't be hidden.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!