Protein supplements

Options

Replies

• monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have been using Isomax Whey protien at 48g of protien for 206 calories and 4 carbs. I love it :) (although- I dont have much of a selection here, as we are currently living in mexico and the selection here bites)
  • JoeDenison
    JoeDenison Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started on protein shakes and wanted a lean protein. I went to GNC and they suggested I use AMP Pro Performance Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. A serving is 3 scoops: total cals 280 / total fat 1g (.5g sat fat) / total carbs 7g / total protein 60g. ...

Me too -- this is one of the best tasting protein shakes (chocolate). Very sweet, minimal chalky taste that I experience with others. One scoop is 20g protein, plenty for one serving. Reduce the water according to taste or add to milk as suggested above.

Note however that most recommendations for post-workout nutrition suggest a higher carbohydrate ratio than what this product provides. Fruit is usually my choice for the carbs.
  • snkeller24
    Options

I sip BCAAs during my workout (Scivation Xtend Grape/watermelon) and this helps me tremendously.

Side note - do you have issues getting the Scivation to mix well? I have the grape and it pisses me off. Not a fan of the flavor, perfer ON Amino better
  • iPhone4fotos
    Options
    Hi! I just started on protein shakes and wanted a lean protein. I went to GNC and they suggested I use AMP Pro Performance Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. A serving is 3 scoops: total cals 280 / total fat 1g (.5g sat fat) / total carbs 7g / total protein 60g. The numbers I gave you is the protein mixed with 12 oz of water. I chose to mix it with skim milk so I just add in the extra cals for the milk . Now, GNC told me all I need is 1 oz (mixed with 4oz of skim milk) before my workout and 1 oz (mixed with 4oz of skim milk) w/in 30 mins after my workout for recovery so of course so the numbers work out as follows per 1oz serving: 136 cals / 8g of carbs / 0g fat / 24g of protein.

I drink the chocolate flavor and it is absolutely delicious. Oh and the best part....no aspartame which I heard can cause headaches.

Oh...one last thing...I have noticed a difference in my workout. I'm a runner and I have noticed increased energy since I started using it.

Good luck to you!
    I use this also...just got the banana cream and it idelicious...taste like a banana popsicle...i also mixed the banana amd chocolate together and that was a nice change...i got a really good price on mine by using there website...always coupon codes out there and free shipping!

What a great idea! I'm going to try this!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I dont have a hard time getting it to mix. I mix it in the blender bottle and then usually leave it alone for 3-4 minutes and it all dissolves. I also probably use ALOT more water than i should because too little and it gets gritty. It tastes like grape koolaid to me. *shrug* The watermelon is much better imo, i just have a habit of buying everything in "grape" flavor. :P

I sip BCAAs during my workout (Scivation Xtend Grape/watermelon) and this helps me tremendously.

Side note - do you have issues getting the Scivation to mix well? I have the grape and it pisses me off. Not a fan of the flavor, perfer ON Amino better
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I don't buy my protein powder from GNC or any other commercialized retail stores, they tend to have artificial sweeteners, artificial flavoring/color and other unwanted ingredients. They also use whey from cows that were treated with Monsanto's rBST. I usually buy mine on the internet or a health food store.

Good luck....
    So the Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey at GNC has "fake" whey while the one you by on the internet doesn't?

Where's you source for this information?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I never said it's fake whey.

There are too many questions concerning health risks concerning rBST (genetically modified growth hormone) and I choose not to ingest it. I did my research and that's how I feel. I would rather eat more natural. Same thing with artificial sweeteners. Just giving my opinion just like everyone else.

Just to let you know, the United States is the only developed nation to permit humans to drink milk from cows given artificial growth hormone (rBST).

and artificial flavoring.....just look at the back of optimum nutrition under ingredients. Better yet, here it is:

Protein Blend (whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides), cocoa (processed with alkali), artificial flavors, lecithin, acesulfame potassium, Aminogen®, lactase.

It does say artificial flavors. So, my source of information is right on the package.
  • iPhone4fotos
    Options
    Hi! I just started on protein shakes and wanted a lean protein. I went to GNC and they suggested I use AMP Pro Performance Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. A serving is 3 scoops: total cals 280 / total fat 1g (.5g sat fat) / total carbs 7g / total protein 60g. ...

Me too -- this is one of the best tasting protein shakes (chocolate). Very sweet, minimal chalky taste that I experience with others. One scoop is 20g protein, plenty for one serving. Reduce the water according to taste or add to milk as suggested above.

Note however that most recommendations for post-workout nutrition suggest a higher carbohydrate ratio than what this product provides. Fruit is usually my choice for the carbs.

I will add fruit to my post-workout nutrition. Thanks!
  • snkeller24
    Options
    I'll try it in the blender bottle then putting it in a regular water bottle. My guess I'll go back to ON - just sucks because this was a huge container! I have a habit of buying grape flavored things too. I manange to get it down but it's not my favorite. The ON was a much better taste.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I drink IdealShape for 2 meals a day, but there are other meal replacement shakes out there that provide extra protein. It's only 110 calories so you can use it as meal replacement or a snack supplement.

where do you buy this at?? never heard of it.

I buy it online at www.idealshape.com after reading meal replacement shake reviews at http://www.mealreplacementshakereviews.com/category/product-reviews/ I was originally looking at reviews for Isagenix but it was way out of my price range and placed lower on the reviews. I've only tried the chocolate flavor and I really like it.
  • zyzz_brah
    zyzz_brah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely go with gaspari's myofusion if you're looking for a great tasting protein supp that tastes great in water. I also recommend ordering off of bodybuilding.com great service, fast shipping and the prices are a lot less than what you'll find in gnc or vitamin shoppe. However at the moment I do believe with the holiday sales you can find myofusion at gnc a few dollars cheaper than what it is on bb.com
  • zyzz_brah
    zyzz_brah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'll try it in the blender bottle then putting it in a regular water bottle. My guess I'll go back to ON - just sucks because this was a huge container! I have a habit of buying grape flavored things too. I manange to get it down but it's not my favorite. The ON was a much better taste.

stick with xtend, ON amino energy does taste great I had a sample and loved it, but xtend is the much better bcaa supplement of the two.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I take Nutiva Hemp protein (chocolate flavor), Nutiva Hemp protein & Fiber & Primal fuel Vanilla flavored only to fill in my protein intake because I don't eat meat & I'm anemic. I alternate them each week.
  • RRT_RCP
    RRT_RCP Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I use the pro complex whey in Vanilla. It's 260 calories with 60g of protein per serving ( 2 scoops).
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    The absolute best protein you can buy is the Garden of Life Beyond Organic Raw Protein Powder. It's just sprouted beans, legumes, and such.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

There are too many questions concerning health risks concerning rBST (genetically modified growth hormone) and I choose not to ingest it. I did my research and that's how I feel. I would rather eat more natural. Same thing with artificial sweeteners. Just giving my opinion just like everyone else.

Just to let you know, the United States is the only developed nation to permit humans to drink milk from cows given artificial growth hormone (rBST).

and artificial flavoring.....just look at the back of optimum nutrition under ingredients. Better yet, here it is:

Protein Blend (whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides), cocoa (processed with alkali), artificial flavors, lecithin, acesulfame potassium, Aminogen®, lactase.

It does say artificial flavors. So, my source of information is right on the package.
    I know ON has artificial flavors, but my question was where is your source that shows that health food stores or other protein products that you buy aren't processed and don't have whey that's been derived from any cows exposed to growth hormones? Burden of proof is on you since you stated it, so at least link a product that is devoid of whey with growth hormone in it. If you can't then it's anecdotal. Kinda like the last thread you left after I asked you about Ajinamoto in Japan being a huge distributor of Aspartame and you claimed it was banned in Japan....................

IDEA Fitness member
  • kouzzzz
    Options

I know ON has artificial flavors, but my question was where is your source that shows that health food stores or other protein products that you buy aren't processed and don't have whey that's been derived from any cows exposed to growth hormones? Burden of proof is on you since you stated it, so at least link a product that is devoid of whey with growth hormone in it. If you can't then it's anecdotal. Kinda like the last thread you left after I asked you about Ajinamoto in Japan being a huge distributor of Aspartame and you claimed it was banned in Japan....................

IDEA Fitness member

I never said it wasn't processed. All whey protein powders go through some processing. But how do they differ? The best whey protein powder should be UNHEATED, cold temperature processed.

I buy different protein powders all the time. Some whey (which states cold processed, rBST Free and no artificial sweeteners), Hempseed protein or Pea protein. Go on google and search for rBST free protein powders. If they don't have a rBST Free label than the whey is treated with it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm thirding the Gasperi Myofusion Vote..The stuff really is delish. I just bought milk chocolate and it tastes like liquid pudding.. I buy it at my gym, but for a two pound tub it's only like 24 dollars or something.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I never said it wasn't processed. All whey protein powders go through some processing. But how do they differ? The best whey protein powder should be UNHEATED, cold temperature processed.
    Okay so I understand that you don't want your protein denatured. With the exception of many RTD's, the majority of powdered proteins don't go through this process. Again my point was to post a link showing a manufacturing plant that doesn't get it's raw materials from milk that's been supplied by cows who were on growth hormone.
    I buy different protein powders all the time. Some whey (which states cold processed, rBST Free and no artificial sweeteners), Hempseed protein or Pea protein. Go on google and search for rBST free protein powders. If they don't have a rBST Free label than the whey is treated with it.
    Wait....Hempseed protein and pea protein isn't whey. And it's not up to me to post your claim. "Burden of proof" is on YOU since you made the claim that there are rBST free whey proteins that are verifiable. I've never seen a CERTIFIED label (EX: if something is CERTIFIED ORGANIC then it's been examined by the organization that approves it) for rBST whey protein. Manufacturers make "claims" about their products all the time. It's called advertising. To actually have CERTIFICATION of those claims is different.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]
  • kouzzzz
    Options
    Okay so I understand that you don't want your protein denatured. With the exception of many RTD's, the majority of powdered proteins don't go through this process. Again my point was to post a link showing a manufacturing plant that doesn't get it's raw materials from milk that's been supplied by cows who were on growth hormone.
    Wait....Hempseed protein and pea protein isn't whey. And it's not up to me to post your claim. "Burden of proof" is on YOU since you made the claim that there are rBST free whey proteins that are verifiable. I've never seen a CERTIFIED label (EX: if something is CERTIFIED ORGANIC then it's been examined by the organization that approves it) for rBST whey protein. Manufacturers make "claims" about their products all the time. It's called advertising. To actually have CERTIFICATION of those claims is different.

IDEA Fitness member
    [/quote]

You couldn't search it??? Here you go.

http://www.911healthshop.com/mercola-miracle-whey-protein-powder-vanilla.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=wheyvanilla
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Just for clarity, the ON Gold Standard Natural products do not contain artificial flavors .....

Protein Blend (whey protein isolates, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides), cocoa (processed with alkali), lecithin, Natural Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Rebaudioside A, Aminogen, Lactase.