Thinking about protein shakes? Do you?

Options
13»

Replies

• Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

So on the topic of protein shakes- I have never really thought I had a need for this but I am interested in your personal reason for making them. What kind of results you have had, and which you like. I am considering it as I have had the longest ever plateau but am interested in your thoughts. As far as my daily log goes I am not deficient in protein but I know many that use it are not either- thanks for the feedback!
    A plateau is 6 weeks or more of no weight loss after being consistent with food and exercise. If not it's just a stall. 2 things to change first. Your exercise routine then eat maintenance calories for a couple of days or so.

Thanks for the great info! I do feel fairly sure this counts as plateau- a few years ago I had a lung disease that required months of steroid treatment. I was at about 142lbs at my highest and got to about 125 a year or so again. I have been about there ever since- right now I am about 121 but you know how a few pounds up and down can be. I have changed up some exercise and such over time. In October I started replacing breakfast with fresh vegetable juice so I certainly feel healthier but no change in weight. I have been reducing portion sizes and that seems to help some (meaning I haven't been back up to 124ish for awhile). I have also just added running to usual circuit training routine so hopefully that will help also. My ultimate goal is to be as healthy as I can- I am vegetarian so protein is something I am always keeping my eye on. So- that is my story:) Thanks for the feedback!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for those of you that have tried protein shakes:

Do you think consuming more protein helps reduce the soreness after working out?

One of my biggest problems with exercise is the exhaustion and soreness that I feel afterward. I do stretch, drink water and I think I consume enough protein, but after reading that many trainers recommend 100 grams a day, it makes me wonder if it would help or not.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for those of you that have tried protein shakes:

Do you think consuming more protein helps reduce the soreness after working out?

One of my biggest problems with exercise is the exhaustion and soreness that I feel afterward. I do stretch, drink water and I think I consume enough protein, but after reading that many trainers recommend 100 grams a day, it makes me wonder if it would help or not.

Absolutely. If I'm sore, it's cause I didn't eat enough protein. I take 52g shakes twice a day and hit the sack. When I awake I am no longer sore. Drinks lots, consume 100g + protein and get good sleep. That's all it takes.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I will try to eat more protein and see how it affects my working out. If it goes well, I might invest in some shake powder.
  • littleleers
    Options
    I love the Biochem Whey Protein powder, chocolate fudge (vanilla isn't bad, either). I am 5'0 tall and weight 106 lbs. I do weight training (alternate upper and lower) 3x per week. I am heavy on cardio, doing aerobic dance or my own version of zumba style dancing 4 days per week.

I found that I was fatiguing quickly during my weight training and at times during my cardio. I now make sure that I have a good breakfast about 90 minutes before a workout such as a bagel with almond butter or an egg, yogurt, and fruit. I also buy GU-chomps (you can find these on Amazon.com or at a health food store). They are tasty gummy bear type treats loaded with amino acids and a boost of caffeine. I eat 4 of these before a workout and then right before the cardio I take sips of my protein drink. I also make about 12 ounces of a drink using a couple of squeezes of lemon, sugar/agave syrup and a couple dashes of salt and mix with water. All of this has helped me tremendously with energy. I generally do a 2 to 2 1/2 workout 3 - 4x per week.

Also, for anyone who continues having problems with fatiguing, get your ferritin (iron stores) checked. Ask your M.D. to draw the lab and you should see your results between ( 50 - 100 or so). For women, this is very important. You do in fact, break up blood cells when doing impact exercise. The low iron or iron deficiency/anemia can sneak up on you. I get tested once a year and need to take iron supplements.
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump very interested in doing this as well
  • marujita
    Options
    My husband and I drink a protein shake almost every morning as our breakfast. We've done this for a couple of years. Aside from Whey protein, I load it with super foods. I add water, frozen blueberries and strawberries, golgi berries, acai powder, flax seed, maca power, and spinach (you cannot taste spinach when it's blended with berries). I add some water, blend it in in one of those Magic Bullets and....you have a SUPER breakfast! I've been drinking it for so long that now when I drink it I don't feel the extreme energy boost that I used to BUT when I don't have it for breakfast, my body misses it. I don't feel as good.

It really fills you up and helps you feel full all morning. I attribute that to the whey. You can also get 3 or 4 fruit and veggie servings just at breakfast alone.

My husband had high cholesterol. The only thing he changed was drinking this for breakfast (didn't exercise, didn't calories, didn't restrict diet, ate lots of meat and he doesn't like veggies much). By ONLY changing this, he brought his cholesterol levels to normal. He swears it was because of this drink.