Does anyone cut their own hair?

Options
2»

Replies

• crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i am a hairdresser and the best thing to do is cut into ur bangs at an angel, they'll get whispy instead of the dead straight look, and if ur still nervous about that go to a beauty supply place or even walmart and get a pair of thinning shears and angle those into ur bangs, that way it wont be a straight cut and you can just keep 'texturizing' them til they get whispy
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bangs aren't too hard, if your hair is straight and you're going for blunt. Just comb them straight down, and clasp a small section between your first and middle fingers, and cut below your fingers (closer to the ends of your hair than the roots). Cut them a little longer than you think they should be, because a) you're probably overestimating how much you need to trim because even straight hair is a little "springy" and will look shorter after it's cut, and b) if you make a mistake, you can't make it longer, but you can always cut more off. When you do the next section, make sure to have a little bit of the hair you just cut to use as a guide. If it ends up looking too severe, cut it all to the length you want, and then take it in sections and cut it kind of vertically, holding your fingers vertically and just kind of trimming the top layers slightly. It'll soften up that edge.

^That^ I cut my bangs all the time, and this is what you should do. I actually need to recut them now. =)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I have been cutting my own hair for years. Although I think it's about time I treat myself to a professional style. LOL

But I don't keep bangs and my 'style' is not complicated. I just take off a little length every now and then and then flip my hair over and snip a little to add some texture.

I wouldn't recommend it if you're freaking out about it. You don't want shakey hands cutting your hair. LOL
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Yea I have cut my own hair for 8 years, but when you have a skin head it dont take and expert to do it, but one thing I do miss when I used to go when I was 18yrs old is having the lady hairdressers boobies nearly smack me in the face 5 times a minute!:embarassed:

Lol. They really should learn boob management at beauty school.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    When I had bangs I used to cut them myself, as young as 12 or 13 years old. Just be super careful, you do not want to end up cutting them too uneven b/c to even them out they'll get crazy short. ONE time I cut my own entire head of hair by myself and it actually came out so good that I decided that I could never ever do it again because it would likely NEVER come out good again!
  • david581c
    Options
    Nice to see some other DIY'ers.
    I started cutting my own hair few years ago when i paid for the worst haircut ever.

Started just by shaving my head 1 number all around, then i got smart with it and practice makes perfect and learned how to maneuver whilst lookin in a mirror. I get compliments on my hairuts so i must be doin somehing right/their not as nightmarish as i think.
    :s
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I always trim my own bangs, and the best advice I ever got was from a friend who is a hairdresser. She told me to pull your bangs forward and then twist them and then cut below the twist! I don't know how it works but it turns out way straighter than just cutting them, and they never end up too short either!

I have to try this. It sounds crazy enough to be true! Lol
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I cut my own bangs all the time, but I leave the rest to the professionals :) bangs (especially straight across) are so easy! Just make sure you get actual hair scissors that are very sharp and cut very, very little at a time while your bangs are dry. Cutting with non-hair scissors is very difficult and if you cut your bangs while they're wet it's easier to make them too short. You can also google you tube videos on how to do it...there are literally thousands. good luck!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Well, not on top.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Oops, sowwy! I bet you manscape, though!
  • crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I cut my own bangs all the time, but I leave the rest to the professionals :) bangs (especially straight across) are so easy! Just make sure you get actual hair scissors that are very sharp and cut very, very little at a time while your bangs are dry. Cutting with non-hair scissors is very difficult and if you cut your bangs while they're wet it's easier to make them too short. You can also google you tube videos on how to do it...there are literally thousands. good luck!

that is very true! when hair is wet it is longer then dry, so always always cut your bangs dry! i even dry people bangs first in the salon and then cut them
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting my own hair for years. I haven't had it professionally done for at least 5 years. I do it myself about every 2 months. I had too many hairdressers cut off more than I wanted off. Then, I found a hairdresser I loved and trusted and she moved away. So, I've been doing it myself. I would suggest, like another poster said, a good pair of haircutting scissors. When I do my bangs, I do a tiny bit at a time and try to layer them so they don't look so blunt. Check out youtube, they have tutorials for any thing you can think of.
  • yoshi91610
    yoshi91610 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I do. But I'm a guy and I keep it pretty short and military style so it's easy. Been using the same $15 clipper set I bought at Target about 19 years ago. Got my money's worth and think of the $$$ I saved on haircuts!

Yeah my hubby keeps his military short too. So it's not too hard for him to do it himself.

As for me...I tried cutting them myself the first time they looked crazy!! But after a few practice round and some youtube videos I am pretty good at it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Well, not on top.

IDEA Fitness member

Oops, sowwy! I bet you manscape, though!
    I primp it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Search for videos on Youtube...great resource for cutting hair.

I've cut my own hair for years now...last time I got my hair cut by a professional...was 5 years ago maybe? I cut my own length and my own bangs. :)
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting my own hair for a year or so. I just don't have the time or money to shell out for haircuts all the time. I watched videos on YouTube, took what I saw my hairstylists do for the previous 7-8years and did it myself :)