What do you ladies do for horrible Aunt flow visits?

Options

Replies

• had to google that one - OUCH!
    I thought this was an unwanted relative or something - sorry.

Hope you feel better....

hahahaha :bigsmile:
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with getting on the pill! I hadn't had a probelm with mine for the first couple years after I started. Then I was on Birth Control for like 4 years, still no problems. The last 6 months they have been horrible. Emotional, crippling cramps and back pain, nausea, all of it. And its been lasting longer too! I was talking to my mom the other day and realized it started after I stopped taking Birth Control. I'm going to the pharmacy on payday!

Wierd side note, I think the pill calms me down 24/7, not just that one week. Because I used to always be "one of the boys" calm, fun, nothing could get to me. Now even when I'm not PMSing I'm crazy emotional and ready to cry at the drop of a hat! Can't wait to get back on it and be normal!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My question is... can't you just take a Mydol & ignore it? Go on with your day? I'd think letting something affect you like this that happens every month would be really hard on you, and those around you. Why let it impact you so much? If the Mydol doesn't work, shouldn't you see a doctor?

No you can't just take Mydol and ignore it. I was like OP and Mydol did jack ****. I would literally miss school/class in college because I couldn't get out of bed due to the fact that the cramps started in the front, wrapped around to my lower back and went down into my tailbone. If I did somehow manage to move and take something, once it wore off it was even worse... and if I didn't have it with me then I was SOL.

OP:
    My suggestion, go on the pill.. Honestly, it's the only thing that helped me. Don't listen to anyone that tells you not too.. You don't gain actual weight, and until you try it, you won't know how it affects you.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    What other things do people call their monthlies? I have seen TOM used on here, but also use "having the decorators in".
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have taken the oral contraceptive pill since I was 16....I turned 41 yesterday.

I have never had any problems with it at all. When we wanted children I stopped taking the pill and was pregnant within 2 months both times and have 2 healthy boys.

When I was 39 my doctor changed me from the combined pill to Cerazette an estrogen-free, progestogen-only oral contraceptive pill. This was because I was fat and smoked (I have stopped smoking, working on the weight lol).

Since then I haved saved money as I haven't had a period...not one!! No pain, cramps, moods, cravings...nothing. I would highly recommend this to combat your periods. This is norma,l its a pill you take every morning and very reduced flow to none at all is expected. As my doctor said its the 21st century and none of us should have to suffer so much....joys of a female practitioner lol

hope this helps a bit

martyxx
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Progesterone is wonderful! Estrogen makes it worse for me so the pill doesn't work for me.

Hi

I take Cerazette an estrogen-free, progestogen-only oral contraceptive pill.

You take it daily and it reduces or stops periods altogether

mxx
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I would recommend supplementing with calcium, magnesium, and a B-complex before trying prescription BC. BC is not side-effect free itself. It would suck if it did not cure your problems AND added more on top of it. Just sayin'.

P.S. I was on a progestin-only pill for 1 year recently and my periods did not stop, they were actually LESS predictable than when I'm not on the pill (and yes I was taking it at the same time every day as directed), so don't count on that type of pill eliminating your period.
  • MissMisery1313
    Options
    When the cramps are really bad, some light aerobics, a hot bath and ibuprofen really help (acetominophen doesn't do squat for my cramps.)

Does anyone have advice on how to help fatigue? Sometimes the fatigue is so bad I can barely move.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I agree...Midol doesn't do jack! It should be taken off the shelves, I don't know one woman who that crap works for. And if it does work for you, consider yourself one of the luckiest women. I'm gonna stick with my Advil because it works for me. I've been to the doctor and they say nothing is wrong with me, everything looks fine. Not sure what more I can do but just suck it up and hope that the next month won't be as bad.
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I find that exercising actually HELPS me!

Ditto. I hardly ever feel like doing anything exercise-wise, but if I force myself to, the endorphin rush really does make the unwanted symptoms lessen or even disappear.

Best advice is: talk to your OB/GYN. What works for one person may not work for another, and your symptoms might actually be your body telling you something is wrong (other than just normal TOM symptoms). Medically, if you are experiencing something you think is abnormal, you should see your doctor. Could be normal, but you could also be catching something in it's early stages instead of waiting a few years until it might be a bigger problem.

Personally, I have endometriosis, and have had it since I was 16. One month could be a breeze, and the following month is a living nightmare. But since I was diagnosed by my OB/GYN, I know what to expect and what is normal for me. If anything goes above and beyond that, I'm quick to at least put a call into the doc, if not make an appointment. And I'm not by any means what someone would call a hypochondriac. I would just rather be safe than sorry.

Hope that helps :)
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I went to a Nurse Practioner who suggested taking 2-3 aleve per day starting 3 days prior to the start of my period to reduce flow. Other than that I eat chocolate and salt and I rant and cry.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I agree, my cramps have been better since I started really exercising, too.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I'd agree with everyone else. Birth control is definitely the way to go. When taking them, my cramps were so much better than when I was going without. I kind of miss birth control too. The days were actually shorter.. or that's what it felt like at least.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    miss understood the post, good luck!
  • jnissi
    jnissi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know that a lot of people are pushing the birth control idea, but I guess maybe it's the holistic side of me that is screaming "no!!!". I went off birth control because the chances of breast cancer go up pretty substantially, plus, you are putting artificial hormones that your body has a really hard recognizing them and shuts down making it's own. It took my body almost a year to get back on track once I stopping taking BC, and it was not a fun experience at ALL. Study up on the hazards of BC, even my gyno says that BC has the most risk than any other form. For PMS, I would recommend trying a natural progesterone cream for about 3 months. Don't use a lot, but just a little to help ease the symptoms you are talking about. PMS is NOT normal. It is caused by a hormonal balance that is caused by mal-nutrition, a sedentary lifestyle or unfortunately, some people are just genetically predisposed to have it. You can ease symptoms as well by supplementing with calcium (won't have immediate relief, but it started to help me after about 3 months) and I take magnesium when I have cramps. I'm not sure what your diet is like, but try eating more natural, less processed (I have a problem with this myself =\).

I agree! Birth control can increase your risk of breast cancer as well as heart problems, it also can cause weight gain. I have noticed that when I am consistent with taking vitamins that this really helps my mood. Also, reducing salt and drinking plenty of water helps with bloating. I do let myself indulge in dark chocolate!! YUM, not the best diet choice, but when it is that time I just have to have it!
    Exercising and tummy toning has helped with cramps. " If you do look for progesterone cream like suggested above. Yam root cream ( Which is a natural progesterone cream) can be found at most vitamin stores like GNC" Good luck!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I know that a lot of people are pushing the birth control idea, but I guess maybe it's the holistic side of me that is screaming "no!!!". I went off birth control because the chances of breast cancer go up pretty substantially, plus, you are putting artificial hormones that your body has a really hard recognizing them and shuts down making it's own. It took my body almost a year to get back on track once I stopping taking BC, and it was not a fun experience at ALL. Study up on the hazards of BC, even my gyno says that BC has the most risk than any other form. For PMS, I would recommend trying a natural progesterone cream for about 3 months. Don't use a lot, but just a little to help ease the symptoms you are talking about. PMS is NOT normal. It is caused by a hormonal balance that is caused by mal-nutrition, a sedentary lifestyle or unfortunately, some people are just genetically predisposed to have it. You can ease symptoms as well by supplementing with calcium (won't have immediate relief, but it started to help me after about 3 months) and I take magnesium when I have cramps. I'm not sure what your diet is like, but try eating more natural, less processed (I have a problem with this myself =\).

I agree! Birth control can increase your risk of breast cancer as well as heart problems, it also can cause weight gain. I have noticed that when I am consistent with taking vitamins that this really helps my mood. Also, reducing salt and drinking plenty of water helps with bloating. I do let myself indulge in dark chocolate!! YUM, not the best diet choice, but when it is that time I just have to have it!
    Exercising and tummy toning has helped with cramps. " If you do look for progesterone cream like suggested above. Yam root cream ( Which is a natural progesterone cream) can be found at most vitamin stores like GNC" Good luck!!

You can't tone your stomach... and If you read the OP, she has lower back pain.. You know what it's like to exercise with lower back pain? It sucks!

P.S Post some studies... I'd love to see where B/C increases risk of breast cancer/heart problems... cause so far, I've never heard of anything like that.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I believe that taking artificial hormones solely for masking symptoms that are not normal is a backwards way of looking at health issues that is pretty typical of western medicine. Rather than taking something to mask the symptoms, I suggest starting with taking a look at your diet and activity (as in upping it). Then after making adjustments there, looking at more natural things to help with symptoms than birth control pills. Some of these suggestions have already been made, but I'll make them again to counter the birth control argument. One poster suggested veganism - if your cycle is bad enough and you're serious enough about alleviating your pain and veganism is at all possible for you, I second that. My cycles got a lot better, with cramps and flow and length, after becoming vegan. If you think you can't do that, I would suggest cutting back on as much dairy and processed foods as you can and see if it makes a difference, but the more you cut out the more likely you are to see better results. I also second the suggestions of adding a calcium, magnesium, and B vitamin complex supplement, or adding foods to make sure you get recommended allowances. Raspberry leaf tea, not raspberry tea, is really helpful to drink during your cycle - it lessens my cramps. I still have one kind of bad day, but it's just one and it's not as bad as it used to be. It is worse if I consume more processed foods than I normally do. Sugar really aggravates my symptoms, so as much as I might want some before my cycle, I really try to avoid it along with salty things at least a week before (unfortunately these are the things most of us crave, but they really make things worse for me and it gives me an incentive to avoid them). I suggest trying to change these things first rather than popping a pill.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    double post
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Magic Mydol pills every 4 hours during the first 3 days and heavier exercise for abs during visits (morning noon and night). More popcorn (don't ask have no idea) and sugar free hot chocolate in the afternoons with only 3/4 of the water. I used to have cramping down the front of my thighs but now those have disappeared.
  • LosingWeight2012
    LosingWeight2012 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    !i heard that on a bc commercial once. Cancer increase and pulmonary embolisms.