Has your stomach ever stuck out past your boobs?

Options
I called a dress shop to give them my measurements for a bridesmaid dress. My hip and bust measurements fit in line with a size 16 dress but my waist measurement was a size 22. The lady who was helping me over the phone said I must have made a mistake. I told her that I measured an inch above my belly button and asked where the correct place to measure is. She said that was the right place, and that I must have made a mistake because "Stomachs never stick out past your boobs unless you are pregnant." (I'm not pregnant). I told her that, looking down, letting my stomach hang naturally, it stuck out past my boobs (and my boobs are not small by any means). Most of the day, when I am standing, I automatically suck in my tummy and when I do that it is just a little bit farther in than my boobs.

Does or has your stomach (natural, not sucked in) ever stuck out past your boobs? Or am I just very odd proportions? Mine has always done that and I have had people ask or assume I was pregnant.

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    everyone carries their weight differently.

Some people carry the majority of their weight in their stomach..some in their hips and some people have it all around.
  • pandaraecash
    pandaraecash Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My stomach sticks out farther than my boobs right now. I am really self-conscious about it, but am working on changing it. Reading your post made me a bit nervous... I am in a wedding in June, but have to send my measurements to the dress shop by January 1 for my bridesmaid dress. I am really not looking forward to seeing what size I will have to order, but hopefully I will end up getting it altered before the wedding (I am hoping to be a few sizes smaller)!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    mine doesn't but i can relate to the "odd shape" thing. my size in tops was an XL and my bottoms was a XXXL (like, say, a 16 top and a 24 bottom).

just thinking out loud here, i know what you mean about "sucking it in". wouldn't you send your measurements of you sucking it in a bit? i mean, when i dress up, i do suck it in, lol and often wear spanx or control top panty hose...I refer to these foundation garments as "steel belted radial underwear".
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    mine does. I have the exact same measurements across my chest ( fullest part of my boobs ) and the biggest part of my belly
    ( lower belly). both 36 inches....
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    When I sit down, yes. I have a classmate whose stomach sticks out pass her boobs. She's a tiny girl, skinny legs, small boobs, I mean just small everywhere but her stomach. It seems like all the fat just goes there for her.

I think as long as you're comfortable in the dress, try not to worry about it (if you are). Really, the only person who is more cautious about your proportions is yourself. :smile:
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    sounds like me, last i measured by hcest was 33-ish, waist 20-something, and hips 36-ish! i can never find a pair of pants that fit my waist and not have my butt-crack flashing the company im with! this goes to show EVERYONE is sized differently. i'd maybe go into a store that can professionally measure you, just to be on the safe side!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    This happens to a lot of women especially if they have had children. The stomach muscles weaken a lot when pregnant. When my thyroid went down, I started gaining lots of weight right in my mid section so I was close to my belly sticking out further than my boobs! I have not lost a lot of weight yet but most of what I have lost has been in my belly so I am happy about that. They say stress also makes us gain in our bellies. I have seen lots of women like this. The person taking your measurements must not get out very often. It is incrediably hard to find clothes that fit short of a moo moo when you are shaped like this. Good Luck
  • cowpoke06
    Options
    When I was thin my stomach did not stick out past my boobs, but currently it does. You're not alone and that dress lady is very insensitive. :(
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I an so relate to this. I have pcos and carry all my weight in my upperbody. Mid-section mostly. It's embarrassing and frustrating. But that's why I'm here. Buh-bye spare tire :)
  • aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I carry all my weight in my tummy. Its the last place I lose weight too.. So don't feel down!
  • JJhoney
    Options
    Mine does the same. I have a 52" abdomen, and the smallest part of me, my waist is 43"...I've also read up that a medical condition called Cushing's Syndrome has this as a symptom.
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Mine definitely use to! It just depends on where you carry your weight. I guess it would be like saying no one's thighs are wider than their hips - definitely not true because of all the pear shaped ladies out there :)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    No, but I have a "pear" shape so my weight accumulates in my hips/thighs/butt area. We all carry our weight differently, but I must say that the way that lady worded it seemed pretty rude to me!
  • MarandaPanda86
    Options
    Wow, what a rude salesperson! When I sit down, my stomach and boobs are the same, but when I stand my stomach is smaller... Keeping in mind it wasn't like that 40lbs ago!
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree that the dress woman was very unprofessional. I don't think it's that uncommon for a person's stomach to stick out farther than their breast.
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    min has for a long time. that women is crazy. dont let it bother you. your not tthe only one
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Mine does and apparently we're not alone here! The lady in this shop needs to learn some people skills if you ask me!
    Have fun...weddings are funtastic!
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I hope you punch this lady. That was insensitive and rude. My mom once told me that she was embarrassed for me because my tummy was bigger than my boobs. I'm a 36 DD. I'm sorry for that woman's unprofessionalism. I would call the manager and tell them what happened.
  • kgbergeron
    Options
    I look like I'm 8 months pregnant. I started eating greek yogurt and having kefir shakes and that seems to have helped. my stomach isn't as big as it used to be, although the weight is about the same.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    When I was thin my stomach did not stick out past my boobs, but currently it does. You're not alone and that dress lady is very insensitive. :(

This...