People who were out of shape how did you start?

Options

Replies

• Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I had always been an active outdoor person, not extreme physical fitness but not unhealthy to point of two steps and I need to sit down. However Dec. 27, 2010 through March 01, 2011 I had become very sedentary {Get out of bed, eat, watch TV go to bed....Darn 14 steps, I'll sleep here in the chair}, later diagnosed with a medical condition, that was slowly killing me.
    I started by walking a flight of stairs at work and while at home using resistance bands. Worked to being able to use a gaming fitness system, push-ups and sit-ups, body weight squats. I would be getting dinner ready and be doing squats in the kitchen. In May I worked up to while at work walking four floors and at each floor doing wall push-ups. By July I was back to where I was confident getting back into a gym.
    People underestimate the freebies {DVD's, TV exercise programs, Libraries, Use cans of soup as weights, if you have a child play with them, Internet workout web sites....}.
  • helper1112
    helper1112 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started off with Leslie Sanson walking dvds. They are easy on the joints and have 4 basic moves so they are really easy to pick up on and do.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Trying to take on too much too soon usually leads to pain, injury and disappointment. Gotta learn to walk before you run, so just start off with a basic lifting program on your own (or with a trainer) and 30 minutes or cardio to start.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. Slow and steady. Expecting too much out of your body at first is a recipe for injury, frustration and disappointment.
  • jakeschafer
    Options
    I first started by walking slowly increasing speed every week or so. Now im on the wii fit doing what i am able to accomplish along with speedwalking outside.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I started off running on the beach...realizing I could last longer and/or run further...Then when I had to go back to school, I started going to the gym, then I started lifting....Now I am just doing a bunch a cardio/strength training workouts using my own body and using free weights...Now that I am about to go back home for a month (winter break) I am going to start back running on the beach and continue with strength training as well :)... I am hoping by March, I get is more shape so I can train for my first marathon I hope to run by summer 2012 :)
  • nmcdee
    nmcdee Posts: 11
    Options
    Baby steps as seems to be the common link of these threads. First thing was up my water intake and started keeping track of what i was eating...really honestly eating. That in itself was enough to motivate me. Then I became a Beachbody Bum...started with Turbo Jam, then Chalene Extreme, P90X, then came running. I love to run!!! Currently doing Insanity with running here and there.

I found the initial weight loss and reaching the goal was fairly easy in comparison to maintenance. Keeping my motivation up to exercise and eating clean was more of a challenge in the long haul. I am not perfect but have adopted a lifestyle rather than a temporary fix.
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    At first, I did it all wrong. As a young teenager, I'd run/walk two miles, then come home and binge on cupcakes.

When I signed up for a gym, though, I started taking baby steps. 10 minutes at a time on the treadmill, alternating between a walk and slow jog, and then I'd go swim for as long as I felt like.

Now I can run 8.0 mph, so I think I'm doing pretty good. ^^
  • Shaping_My_Destiny
    Options
    I didn't do baby steps because I know me. LOL I did something I never thought of doing and didn't think I would...saw a sign for a tae kwon do kickboxing class and signed up. It was SUPER hard, but I went at my own pace and the whole group supported me...even though I finished last and could only do the modifications. I absolutely loved loved loved the support and atmosphere. It made me keep going.

Just get started doing something and commit to it! You'll get there! :)
  • Shaping_My_Destiny
    Options
    After 15 months, my longest stretch of working out ever, I'm amazed that my progress and how much fun I've had!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I started out on the ellipticals. I turn up the resistance and go for about 45-60 minutes usually, 5-6 days a week. I did that for a few weeks and then I started Insanity (just finished week 2). Find what works best for you, maybe do a type of cardio (like the elliptical, treadmill, bike, etc) for whatever amount of time is comfortable for you and then work on some of the weight machines? Just set a goal for yourself about how often you'd like to go to the gym and then steadily increase your activity level?

I know it's not always the best approach, but I am the type of person that just goes right into whatever I'm doing. I don't really take time to ease into anything, but I don't do anything that would cause me injury so it works out. lol If I ever want to become a runner or lift weights, I think I'd definitely have to reevaluate my approach!
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just started jogging when I decided it was time to get in shape and omg was it tough, I walked often, but I accepted it because I knew I was out of shape, I continued to do it 5-6 times a week and eventually walked less and less and now I can go 2 miles without stopping (my whole run is 3). And that has been in a month. I don't run too fast (bc I push a stroller while I do it and I am not in THAT good of shape yet) but either way I am proud that I can run so long now. Also I tried the 30 day shred and got bored with it after a week. I love the concept, but it was so boring, I like change so I do kickboxing, running, and aerobics, but it all started with a run =). Whats important is letting yourself walk when you run and knowing youre still gonna go the distance, but it may take you longer and its okay so you don't overpush
  • hosnowjo
    hosnowjo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I started in August with going swimming twice a week. Then in October I joined an aqua aerobics class and just 2 weeks ago went to my first body toning class.

After my first couple of aqua aerobics classes, my arms and legs ached for about 2 days, but now it doesn't bother me at all.

After my first body toning class, I could hardly move the following day, and you should've seen the state of me going up and down stairs. It was 3 days later before things begn to ease up. After my second class, I ached the following day, but nothing like the previous week.

All I'm saying is that, start with something simple and work your way up. You will ache initially, but it will ease with time.

That's what I've found anyhow.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about going to a Zumba class, but after looking like an idiot in the aerobics class by not being able to keep up, I am worried about dance classes. I am pretty uncoordinated. Do they switch moves really fast in zumba?
    I am uncoordinated too. I took a zumba class a few years ago and didn't like it. I couldn't keep up with the moves and it just wasn't for me. Lots of people love it though.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    Still not in shape, but went from barely moving (a flight of stairs would wind me) to walking almost 4 miles a day. Start slowly. I started going for a walk at lunch, now I walk a 1.5 miles at lunch. I added walking back to the train station after work (1.12 Miles), now I walk to and from the station plus at lunch. If the weather is really bad I will take transit one way. Add to this the cardio at the gym 4 times a week and I've gotten a lot fitter. Recently started hitting the weights at the gym after using my dumb bells at home for a month prior. Go slow no point getting yourself so sore you don't want to move for a week.
  • glennam1
    glennam1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about going to a Zumba class, but after looking like an idiot in the aerobics class by not being able to keep up, I am worried about dance classes. I am pretty uncoordinated. Do they switch moves really fast in zumba?
    The best part about ZUMBA is everyone is at their own level and it is sooo much fun. Trust me you won't look like an idiot either eventually you learn all the steps and moves :smile:
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Also another tip for soreness and maybe this is why the pain doesn't bother me, because I chug 2 bottles of ice cold water before I work out. Also like someone else said, stretch before you start working out.

If you chug water before working out, doesn't it cause stomach pain from it giggleing around in there?
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i'm not really "in shape" but i started off by walking and doing things slowly. swimming may be a good exercise, it doesn't feel like you're working hard but you are!
  • jaci34
    jaci34 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I started out with C25K....which is walking/jogging. It really helped build my endurance! I regularly run 3 to 4 miles and at times do more.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    baby steps and building it one step at a time.

Embrace what ninerbuff wrote. Go slowly. Rome wasn't built in a day and going from sedentary to running a 5k won't either - or whatever your fitness goals are.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Do what you can.

I try not to get too ambitious during my workouts, because when I am sore, I am not going to work out again until I feel better.

So, I recommend going for walks, and doing some yoga. As you get more stamina, you can try a few minutes of jump rope, but don't be surprised if you're out of breath after only two minutes. Just do a little here and there and slowly build up to doing more.