Do you lie to cut off the comments?

Options
Alderaic
Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
Had a discussion on another website about how to handle the haters (you know those who say that you are losing too much or that you should workout less, or indulge... insert something you dont want to do here)

I actually figured out that I do a lot of "lying to them"... I.E even though I lost another 20 something pounds since july, I keep telling haters that I am just maintaining and workout out, so I am more toned than before.

I used to be a bit sick about all the stupidity that goes around when you lose weight, though I started that without even noticing that I was in fact lying to them.

In the end I dont mind, I actually find that funny as they stop asking after that and I guess believe that it is indeed toning.

So I want you guys to share how you deal with the haters, it may actually help others, I found my way funny when I realized what I was doing, hopefully you also had fun keeping haters at bay !!

Replies

• clarkie77
    Options
    Hey Alderic,

It is funny you should mention this. I have had exactly the same thing happen to me.
    I think it just flips people out when you have lost such a substantial amount of weight and it takes people a while to adjust to your new appearance.

Well done on your weight loss by the way mate :)

1788194.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I get people asking me when I am going to stop. i guess it is such a big change from before, they can't even imagine me losing more. I have been heavy for a loooong time, there are very few people who remember me as average. I was prolly 16 the last time I was a correct weight.

People sometimes tell me that I must be incorrect about how much more I need to lose. "you look great. careful you don't want to get too skinny." geeze, seriously? I am a size 16, and weigh 193!

So yes, I dumb down the numbers a bit, say i just want to lose a little more (although it's over 30 pounds) and that I've lost about 45 pounds, (59 actually) and the pressure has eased. weird, eh?
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Good grief - BLOCK
    That solves the issue for such negative people. Life is too short to suffer those with a toxic personality.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten any haters yet...just support. but i am positive there will be some once i get down further :P honestly...i just think in my head "you're jealous" and it makes me feel good they are saying those things haha
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I get people asking me when I am going to stop. i guess it is such a big change from before, they can't even imagine me losing more. I have been heavy for a loooong time, there are very few people who remember me as average. I was prolly 16 the last time I was a correct weight.

People sometimes tell me that I must be incorrect about how much more I need to lose. "you look great. careful you don't want to get too skinny." geeze, seriously? I am a size 16, and weigh 193!

So yes, I dumb down the numbers a bit, say i just want to lose a little more (although it's over 30 pounds) and that I've lost about 45 pounds, (59 actually) and the pressure has eased. weird, eh?

I agree with this. When I tell certain people I want to get to 120 they tell me that's way too much. So I just say I'd be happy at 140 but I'm just lying. Good that I'm losing so slowly - folks don't notice or don't say anything.
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    When people ask me how much I want to lose I just usually say that I want to get to a healthy weight and that I have been making healthy choices that aren't bad for me so I am trying to keep making healthy choices and see where it takes me.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    When people are being stupid and annoying me, I bake them a cake. Doesn't really help for people on forums though...
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I was just vaguer with some people than others.
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    me too! I have people saying at work "oh yeah, that's right-you dont eat"
    whatever! i just dont eat all day long!
  • leftymae5454
    Options
    Same here people tell me that I do not need to lose anymore or why are you eating less calories, that what got me at 230lb wearing a size 18 -20. TOO MANY CALORIES! Get comments like you will be to skinny if you lose anymore I am @188lb and want to get to 130 so to everyone thats telling me I will be to skinny, don't worry I will be healthier. And to those who think I am not eating enough calories, don't view my dairy
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I tell them I'm trying to get down to my original weight.

Nine pounds, five ounces.
    (thanks, Johnny Russell)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I lie, and say I've lost less than I have. It's a little embarrassing to admit I had to lose 50 pounds to look like this.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I never lie, I am proud of the weight I've lost. I've lost 10 pounds since joining MFP in October, but I came down from my highest weight of 215, almost 50 pounds lighter than I was in high school.

And for comments from haters, well...what can I say, I like telling people they're wrong. :bigsmile:
  • javajunki
    Options
    I tell them I'm trying to get down to my original weight.
    Nine pounds, five ounces.
    that is GREAT!!!!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I just tell the haters to Go Fvck Themselves...Usually stop all the comments.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion...

When you lie or justify what you are doing; you are making their comments and opinions about you more important than your own; which never should be.

What I do (and what I recommend you think about doing) is tell them its none of their business. That's all. If they push, remind them that you are an adult and have the right to live your life as you choose, if you want their opinion or advice, you'll ask, Otherwise keep they can keep their comments to themself.

BTW, most people will know that you are lying, or at least they will strongly suspect it even if they aren't positive. That just fuels their fire and plants the seed that you have things to hide. (eg eating disorder).

You're better off not to entertain the conversation at all.
  • BabyBubbles31
    Options
    When people are being stupid and annoying me, I bake them a cake. Doesn't really help for people on forums though...

That is awesome... I bet that would work for my family! :) thanks :)
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I don't understand why people have to hate on others or act rude towards them just because they lost more weight than them, or can eat less calories, etc.
    We should all celebrate everyone's successes and be proud that they are closer to their goal.
    People sometimes get hostile towards me because of the low amount of calories I eat, but I can't help that.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You know what? People sometimes detract from my progress. I shine it on silently. And if the volume gets to high, I delete them with out guilt. I'm not here to lose weight on their schedule. I'm here for me. If my body is responding and I'm seeing success, I'm going with that. If they can't handle it, it's not my problem.

Your journey is yours, just like mine is mine. Move at your own pace. Do what you need to do for yourself. If people can't handle it, just put them out like the bad habits that made you need to take this journey. Remember, people just like that helped put you here in the first place.

This is all about purification. And not just food. We're putting out old, bad habits, old, bad choices, and old, bad influences. Just purify your journey.

Good luck, man! Congratulations on your 60+ lost and NEVER quit!
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    I find myself lying to people as well to get them to lay off me and stop shoving food in my face. they say "Its ok to eat, ya know?" as if i don't!!! and these people see me eating all the time!!! it pisses me off to have then repeatedly not understand that i am not trying to be skinny.....i am trying to be toned. they keep shoving crap in my face and i just want to punch them in the face. they actually look at me disgusted like they really think i am too small.

i just lie and say i am maintaining. it's none of their business anyways.