Question for Runners (especially those who run in the cold)

Options
Last winter, I completed the C25K with the intent of running a couple 5K's in the spring-summer. However, my running buddy had hip problems, and so i didn't complete any. :( I want to get back into running, and it will take some time to get back to where I was. Last year I did my training on the treadmill and it was so hard for me to run outside when Spring rolled around. I live in Iowa so the roads are frequently full of snow. I know there are those die hards out there who run in these conditions, and I guess I'm just curious what your advice would be for a somewhat beginner who plans to run both on the treadmill and outside to get back up to my 3 miles and then some. How is your running different now than during the months when the roads are clear. Any suggestions and advice would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    I haven't ran in the snow, but if it's a matter of a clear path, find a track somewhere. If it's a matter of the cold. I wear a mask over my mouth and nose to prevent from breathing too much cold air. The cold air affects my lungs way too much. I do about 3 to 6 miles. Treadmill runs help with outside running. But you have to do interval runs about twice a week.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Bump I would like to know also I live in Minnesota and would like to start C25K
  • tibba_ti
    Options
    I live in Michigan, so we get plenty of snow from Jan thru April. Running in cold temperatures is really intense but worthwhile, dressing warmly (but not enough to make you sweat like crazy) and owning some Yak Traks are key. The cold air can make it seem hard to breathe, so wear a scarf around your mouth to neutralize the bitterness of it. I personally have not been in any marathons, yet. I'm planning on doing a few this spring/summer. So until then, I do about 3 days a week outside running/jogging, and then I use the treadmill indoors for endurance training. Hope this helps you out, and good luck next year!

P.S.

Check out this article, it's full of tips and info.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=14917
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Keep the advice coming!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I do not run yet I am waiting to lose more weight and for the spring because of cold weather. I live in NY and my husbands boss is a die hard runner. She bought special shoes with spikes on the bottom to help when running on snow and ice so she doesn't hurt herself.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Get some good music or a good program on TV and get on the treadmill. I can't run outside if it's cold. I'm afraid of the cold, as well as, icey conditions.

You can train on a treadmill, then slowly start running outside when it gets warmer. If you are on a treadmill look into doing HIIT. I've been running spurts of 5 MPH to work on my speed. I was a very slow runner..

My goal this winter is work on my speed on a treadmill. Also, eliptical, bike, stair master and strength training are good exercises to improve strength in running.
  • cherylwimmers
    cherylwimmers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do most of winter running on the treadmill. If the weather is over 5 Celcius, then I will layer up and head outside. Otherwise I just use the treadmill and get back outdoors in March. I live in Southern Ontario and we get our share of snow. My husband prefers the outside. I just don't love the cold that much!!!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the cold/snow, but I am a newbie runner and what I do is alternate treadmill and outdoor runs. I'm building up some endurance. And when I do run on the tread, I set the incline at least to 2, usually to 4.

You can do it-you will find a way.

:smile:
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am in Ohio and we see plenty of snow in winter. I notice my time on a 5k slows slightly in the winter/snow. I think that is do in part to breathing cold air and wearing more clothes. I really enjoy winter running and will choose running outdoors to the treadmill any day. Keep your mouth covered to avoid breathing in to much cold air and invest in some decent base layering, a hat and some tunes and you are set to go! Good luck!!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on winter gear, but I live in Michigan and it's already pretty darn cold!!! Yesterday I ran and the roads were pretty clear for the most part, but I was careful to avoid the icy spots. I am looking at getting some Yak Trax (they have springy things that fit over your shoes) and I have some great Under Armor pants and tops. Still need a good neck/face covering as my chin and nose get pretty cold, but I don't mind once I get going. I wear mittens that flip back so if my hands do start to get warm I can flip off the ends and not have to put them in a pocket or anything. I wear a stocking cap, helps keep the heat in, and layer up over the Under Armor shirt. I'm also looking at a Smart Wool jacket thing... my fleece vest from last year is gapingly big on me now!!!!

Overall it's trial and error. I've heard you should dress for the temp to be 20 degrees warmer than it really is... that way you won't overheat. Get out there and try, just watch for ice, and you'll do better than you thought!!!! Layer, layer, layer!!!!
  • ap76cool
    Options
    I also found it very difficult running outside after I completed the C25K on the treadmill. I now only run outside, regardless of the weather. Because roads/sidewalks are slippery in the winter I run on trails where there is better traction. Dress in layers as you can always take your coat/sweater off and tie it around your waist if you are too hot. Also, a running hat and gloves are essential. Good luck!
  • cxxviii
    Options
    It is now officially too cold for me to run outdoors. I have machines at home. I hate breathing in the cold air and I always bundle up too much, then overheat. I love the outdoors, but give it up in the winter. I don't run in rain either, but I love to run in the dark on base (military) where it is safe. I find that at 5 am in the summer the temperature is perfect!
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I did the entire C25K plan on the treadmill last winter and it was SO hard to get used to running outside once I started doing it. I had to stop running the last couple of months because I hurt my foot, but I'm hoping to be able to start the C25K plan again once I'm healed and I am planning to do it completely outside.

Usually right now it is freezing here and we have snow, but we've been really lucky this year. The weather has been warmer than normal and no snow yet, I just wish I had been able to run! I'm not sure how I'm going to handle runnning in the really cold weather, but I guess I will just have to wait and see when the time comes.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I live in Ontario Canada and we get some brutal winter weather come January and February, sometimes March too. I ran on a treadmill one winter and was in the same place you were come spring. It was so hard to get back outside. I felt like I had lost all my endurance and was starting over. I now run outside all winter.
    The occassional short run on a treadmill is ok but I would really try to push for the outside long runs. Even if you can aim for 2 short runs on the treadmill and 1 short, and 1 long outside you should be fine. This way you can choose the best looking weather days for your outside runs.

Yaktrax are great for the slippery conditions. You may want to get some. I am lucky enough to have a bike path nearby that the city keeps really clean all winter long. It's only a 5K out and back stretch though so when I need to run longer, I'm doing it a few times, but it beats fighting the icy sidewalks that no one seems to take care of. Check out paths in your area now, then see if the city keeps them clean for you this winter. You should be able to find at least one. Even if you have to drive to it to run, it will be better than the treadmill for sure. Winter running builds strength and endurance. You will feel great come spring! Good luck!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I used to only run when the weather was nice (April thru Nov) but then my running never improved and I had to start over every Spring. I finally got some good cold weather gear and now I run all year and mostly outside. I use the treadmill only when I absolutely have to, ie, ice on the roads or snowbanks so high that it would be very dangerous to run on the streets... although honestly, I have done that too out of desperation. (I really dislike the treadmill. hehe) Winter is still tough to get all of my runs in. Sometimes it's the holidays, travel days, colds or up all night with kids' colds, impossible weather conditions or just not feeling it when it's really bitter cold outside. I have missed several runs this month so far because of some of these reasons... except weather, because we have been lucky here in PA this year. The weather has been really good for running this year. I just keep to my plan. If I miss a run, I just go back to my plan the next day. I really don't like missing ANY runs but sometimes that's just life. :)
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors year round, and in southern Ontario. If the temperature goes below -20°F with wind chill (-30°C) I won't run. Otherwise I put on enough layers, and cover my face when my face gets too cold. When there is fresh snow, I run with Yaktrax on my shoes for traction. Generally in winter, I run a little slower, being careful of my footing, and not breathing too heavily (to avoid respiratory problems). And on those really cold days, I mix my gatorade with warm water so that it doesn't freeze while I'm running. I forgot to mention that my long runs are 4-5 hours, and I run far from home. I always carry: smart phone, toilet paper, a Road ID tag, and a couple of those little "clickit" hand warmers in case I have to wait for a ride. And I have always run with just normal running shoes ans socks, my feet have only been cold a couple of times, because of getting wet.
    I think this keeps me ready to run in any race during any season.