HRM question....please help!!!!!!

Options
I ordered HRM online..... n its pretty basic.... i just used it once so far....since i'm using this gaget for the first time..i need a little help...since i know a lot of people here use it......

i have a few questions......

Firstly, the manual specifies that there r 5 various levels of workouts that can b recorded n various examples of execrcises are given under those 5 categories.....

The thing is that i do Turbo jam.... so i dont know if it falls in "Moderate" or "High"

Moderate has activities like Football, Mountain biking, Basketball, Boxing, Elliptical trainer, Weightlifting etc.....

High has activities like Handball, Step Aerobics, Jumping rope, Circuit training, Karate, Soccer.......

So where would turbo jam and Turbo fire fall??? =/

Also, second question is that.... as soon as i'm done with the workout i must touch the sensor so it calculates my heartrate and calculates the calories burnt...... but since trubo jam/fire also include cool-downs n stretching later...... wouldnt that bring my heart rate down...den wont it miscalculate my calories based on the lower heart rate....????

ok stupid questions yea..but im very confused!!!!!!! :frown: :embarassed:

Replies

• RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    anyone? =/
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I know nothing about HRM's as am still waiting to purchase one (hoping other half has got me one for Xmas), but I would be interested to see others answers... :smile:
  • Arccelian
    Arccelian Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What an HRM is doing is monitor your heartrate and calculates how many calories your are burning from how hard your heart is pumping, I can't see how setting 5 different excercise levels matter at all. Also, include your cooldown time and stretching in your measurement, your heartrate will be elevated by stretching so it will burn calories too.

HRM's are great tools, just don't get stuck on the tool and forget the work :)

Have fun with training, it's a lifelong comitment, so enjoy it ^^
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam would (in my case) be a VERY HIGH activity level :)
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i would say high
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Return it and get one with a chest strap. The ones that you have a touch a sensor in order for it to read your heart rate, are not accurate at all.

Polar is your best bet on chest strap ones... FT4 or FT7
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Does not HRM have a chest strap? If not it really is not good for calculation of calories. In fact MFP's numbers would likely be more accurate. What sort of HRM is it anyway? This sort of approach sounds like guessing as taking 1 heart rate reading and basing the calorie burn on that, even with saying what sort of workout it is, is basically guessing. You could do as well using the perceived exertion charts out there. I know this might not be what you want to hear, but without a chest strap which constantly monitors your heart rate, a HRM is useless for calculating calories.
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    Like Riley said, a hrm without a chest strap is not going to be accurate. The other poster suggested a Polar (which seems to be the most popular brand) but there are other choices out there depending on your budget and willingness to invest. Turbo Jam would definitely be a high intensity workout btw. Good luck with you MFP goals
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Does not HRM have a chest strap? If not it really is not good for calculation of calories. In fact MFP's numbers would likely be more accurate. What sort of HRM is it anyway? This sort of approach sounds like guessing as taking 1 heart rate reading and basing the calorie burn on that, even with saying what sort of workout it is, is basically guessing. You could do as well using the perceived exertion charts out there. I know this might not be what you want to hear, but without a chest strap which constantly monitors your heart rate, a HRM is useless for calculating calories.

oh it didn't know all dat :frown: ....its like wrist watch.....
    http://www.ebay.in/itm/280736884236?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
  • adlwilmot
    Options
    Return it and get one with a chest strap. The ones that you have a touch a sensor in order for it to read your heart rate, are not accurate at all.

Polar is your best bet on chest strap ones... FT4 or FT7

Definitely what she said. One where you have to place your fingers on the actual watch to get your HR are useless for exercising. You need one with a cheststrap. I placed my order on Amazon.co.uk 20 minutes ago for mine and have opted for the Sigma PC 15 http://www.amazon.com/SIGMA-PC15-Heart-Monitor-Watch/product-reviews/B000MQFU3Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFiveStar Amazon in the USA give it quite a lower rating than the UK site, but if you look at the UK reviews these are very recent, whereas the ones in the USA are on average 3 to 4 years old. I can only assume that the ones made back in 2006 and 2007 were a little less reliable.

From what you've said it seems that you just want a basic monitor. The Sigma appears to have a few more functions than the Polar FT2 and 4, and more or less the same as the FT7. As far as UK prices go, it's quite alot cheaper than the FT7, and around the same price as the FT2 and 4. I have noted that an awful lot of people who were Polar fans and had picked up the Sigma as a replacement, commented on how being able to replace the batteries yourself was a massive bonus, as apparently you have to send Polars off for the battery to be replaced and this isn't cheap. How much truth there is in this I do not know, but it seems to be the general concensus in the UK reviews.

Summary: regardless of which HRM you get, you definitely need one with a chest strap. The Sigma appears to be a cheap option, although Polar has a better reputation, but insist on sending off your HRM at a premium price to get the batteries changed.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

oh it didn't know all dat :frown: ....its like wrist watch.....
    http://www.ebay.in/itm/280736884236?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Yea.. Return it asap. Chest strap is needed.. it may say that it calculates accurately without a strap, but it doesn't.