What do you ladies do for horrible Aunt flow visits?

Options
124»

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I know that a lot of people are pushing the birth control idea, but I guess maybe it's the holistic side of me that is screaming "no!!!". I went off birth control because the chances of breast cancer go up pretty substantially, plus, you are putting artificial hormones that your body has a really hard recognizing them and shuts down making it's own. It took my body almost a year to get back on track once I stopping taking BC, and it was not a fun experience at ALL. Study up on the hazards of BC, even my gyno says that BC has the most risk than any other form. For PMS, I would recommend trying a natural progesterone cream for about 3 months. Don't use a lot, but just a little to help ease the symptoms you are talking about. PMS is NOT normal. It is caused by a hormonal balance that is caused by mal-nutrition, a sedentary lifestyle or unfortunately, some people are just genetically predisposed to have it. You can ease symptoms as well by supplementing with calcium (won't have immediate relief, but it started to help me after about 3 months) and I take magnesium when I have cramps. I'm not sure what your diet is like, but try eating more natural, less processed (I have a problem with this myself =\).

I agree! Birth control can increase your risk of breast cancer as well as heart problems, it also can cause weight gain. I have noticed that when I am consistent with taking vitamins that this really helps my mood. Also, reducing salt and drinking plenty of water helps with bloating. I do let myself indulge in dark chocolate!! YUM, not the best diet choice, but when it is that time I just have to have it!
    Exercising and tummy toning has helped with cramps. " If you do look for progesterone cream like suggested above. Yam root cream ( Which is a natural progesterone cream) can be found at most vitamin stores like GNC" Good luck!!

You can't tone your stomach... and If you read the OP, she has lower back pain.. You know what it's like to exercise with lower back pain? It sucks!

P.S Post some studies... I'd love to see where B/C increases risk of breast cancer/heart problems... cause so far, I've never heard of anything like that.

I've heard of these risks with BC, but from what I've read, we're talking single percentage increases if not lower, and this increase is mostly in individuals deemed "high risk", i.e. over 40 years old, smoking, has heart related problems in the family, etc. I'm sure googling around will get you both sides of the story, then you can decide for yourself.

Here's one about the cancer risks: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/oral-contraceptives
    It shows right there that some studies have shown increased chance of breast cancer, while others prove the exact opposite.

For heart health, I found this: http://www.hearthealthywomen.org/am-i-at-risk/birth-control-pills/birth-control-pills.html

Those are only two sources though mind you, but I'm sure more poking around and you'll be able to make an informed opinion.
  • LosingWeight2012
    LosingWeight2012 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oh and mirena gave me endo. And a huge cyst. I had surgery and my back acne went away with the mirena. I also crave less sweets and feel motivated to lose wt. It messed my body up. I passed huge clots my first couple of post mirena periods. Scary stuff. Sorry my back acne went away post mirena. Ok last edit. I cant type on my nook. Im glad the mirena and the back zits are gone!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I know that a lot of people are pushing the birth control idea, but I guess maybe it's the holistic side of me that is screaming "no!!!". I went off birth control because the chances of breast cancer go up pretty substantially, plus, you are putting artificial hormones that your body has a really hard recognizing them and shuts down making it's own. It took my body almost a year to get back on track once I stopping taking BC, and it was not a fun experience at ALL. Study up on the hazards of BC, even my gyno says that BC has the most risk than any other form. For PMS, I would recommend trying a natural progesterone cream for about 3 months. Don't use a lot, but just a little to help ease the symptoms you are talking about. PMS is NOT normal. It is caused by a hormonal balance that is caused by mal-nutrition, a sedentary lifestyle or unfortunately, some people are just genetically predisposed to have it. You can ease symptoms as well by supplementing with calcium (won't have immediate relief, but it started to help me after about 3 months) and I take magnesium when I have cramps. I'm not sure what your diet is like, but try eating more natural, less processed (I have a problem with this myself =\).

THIS.
    I also have horrible periods...actually I'm there now but the Pill had so many cons to it versus any benefit that I just decided to deal with it. I ended up having an iron deficiency and eating better (clean) got rid of a lot of my lethargy.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I agree! Birth control can increase your risk of breast cancer as well as heart problems, it also can cause weight gain. I have noticed that when I am consistent with taking vitamins that this really helps my mood. Also, reducing salt and drinking plenty of water helps with bloating. I do let myself indulge in dark chocolate!! YUM, not the best diet choice, but when it is that time I just have to have it!
    Exercising and tummy toning has helped with cramps. " If you do look for progesterone cream like suggested above. Yam root cream ( Which is a natural progesterone cream) can be found at most vitamin stores like GNC" Good luck!!

You can't tone your stomach... and If you read the OP, she has lower back pain.. You know what it's like to exercise with lower back pain? It sucks!

P.S Post some studies... I'd love to see where B/C increases risk of breast cancer/heart problems... cause so far, I've never heard of anything like that.

I've heard of these risks with BC, but from what I've read, we're talking single percentage increases if not lower, and this increase is mostly in individuals deemed "high risk", i.e. over 40 years old, smoking, has heart related problems in the family, etc. I'm sure googling around will get you both sides of the story, then you can decide for yourself.

Here's one about the cancer risks: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/oral-contraceptives
    It shows right there that some studies have shown increased chance of breast cancer, while others prove the exact opposite.

For heart health, I found this: http://www.hearthealthywomen.org/am-i-at-risk/birth-control-pills/birth-control-pills.html

Those are only two sources though mind you, but I'm sure more poking around and you'll be able to make an informed opinion.

Meh, I read the articles and I could prob. poke around more.. but honestly, B/C is what works for me.

I'm monitored by my doc once a year, my blood pressure is picture perfect, and there is no history of breast cancer in my family. Until I hear otherwise, I'm not stopping... It's worked wonders for me, and I sure it can for others too... Not everything can be fixed by diet and exercise.. or by a pill. It's about the person and what they feel is best.
  • jnissi
    jnissi Posts: 45 Member
    Options

ScienceDaily (Mar. 26, 2002) — Women who have ever used the Pill face a slightly increased risk of developing breast cancer, according to one of the largest studies on oral contraceptive use, the 3rd European Breast Cancer Conference heard on Friday, March 22.

The women’s risk rose by just over a quarter (26%) compared with women who had never used the Pill. Women who were still using the Pill had an increased risk of just over a half (58%) compared with never-users. The highest increased risk was amongst women aged 45 or over who were still using the Pill – their risk of developing breast cancer was nearly one and a half times (144%) the risk of never-users.

Studies assessing Ortho Evra's blood clot risk have reached differing conclusions over the years. At least two studies found that patch users have twice the risk of clots as women taking birth control pills. Even a slightly higher risk can be critical because blood clots can trigger heart attacks, strokes and blockages in lungs or blood vessels, which in rare cases have been fatal, even among young women.

The most recent study by the FDA found that women using the patch have a 50 percent higher risk of clots than women taking various oral contraceptives

Why do you think these companies are getting wrongful death suits all the time, and having to recall their latest and greatest pills. Ortho Evra, Yaz, ...

And yes I had serious back pain durring and after each of my pregnancies. ( You know the kind that makes you cry, the kind that immobilizes you) It is only because of exercise and strengthening of my back and stomach muscles that I now have very little and infrequent back pain.

Everybody has the freedom the make their own choices, I was just trying to give my 2 cents worth and what worked for me.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Wow so many "go on hormonal BC pill comments". I have been on hormonal BC and it made my symptoms worse:sad: . I can't do the hormones at all. Hormones are not for everyone because every woman is different. I use to have horrible cycles:explode: painful. moody, and all the in between. I went to my OB GyN about it and she wanted to either put me on pills (even though I have history of migraines) or a anti-depressant. Huh???? There was another option that she gave which really has been the answer to a better me and that was to start working out. She told me fitness activity would do wonders for my mood because of the endorphins. I still get larthargic around that time but I just try to push through it and still do some type of activity even if it is just a walk(I have found that increasing my carb intake duirng PMS has helped gain some energy). I started to take a multi-vitamin and fish oil daily about a year ago and this has been fabulous for my body. You may want to visit a health food store and speak to an herbalist regarding natural supplements you may be able to take-I took several herbals for about a year which helped regulate my hormones. My hormonal imbalance had a lot to do with my cycles and just my over all well being. 800 MG motrin has also been my savior although I have found that with the more weight I lose the less I need it because my cycles are a lot easier to deal with. I really hope you find something that works for you~
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Wow so many "go on hormonal BC pill comments". I have been on hormonal BC and it made my symptoms worse:sad: . I can't do the hormones at all. Hormones are not for everyone because every woman is different. I use to have horrible cycles:explode: painful. moody, and all the in between. I went to my Dr. about it and she wanted to either put me on pills (even though I have history of migraines) or a anti-depressant. Huh???? There was another option that she gave which really has been the answer to a better me and that was to start working out. She told me fitness activity would do wonders for my mood because of the endorphins. I still get larthargic around that time but I just try to push through it and still do some type of activity even if it is just a walk(I have found that increasing my carb intake duirng PMS has helped me with being so tired). I started to take a multi-vitamin and fish oil daily about a year ago and this has been fabulous for my body. You may want to visit a health food store and speak to an herbalist ragarding natural supplements you may be able to take. 800 MG motrin has also been my savior although I have found that with the more weight I lose the less I need it because my cycles are a lot easier to deal with. I really hope you find something that works for you~

Yikes! At least you knew better. For any woman who has a history of migraines and your doctor doesn't tell you about issues with BCP and migraines - find another doctor!
  • nwncmtnangel
    Options
    I had a uterine ablation a few months ago. Went from symptoms like yours to nearly nothing. You have to be done having kids. They burn the lining of the uterus. It was painful for a few min, but doc gives pain killers. I had my "monthly" every two weeks for 7 to 10 days. now it is about a day every 6 weeks. No cramps, no migraines now. I was on birth control for years, even after having my tubes tied 5 years ago to control horomones. Best decision I ever made.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Wow so many "go on hormonal BC pill comments". I have been on hormonal BC and it made my symptoms worse:sad: . I can't do the hormones at all. Hormones are not for everyone because every woman is different. I use to have horrible cycles:explode: painful. moody, and all the in between. I went to my Dr. about it and she wanted to either put me on pills (even though I have history of migraines) or a anti-depressant. Huh???? There was another option that she gave which really has been the answer to a better me and that was to start working out. She told me fitness activity would do wonders for my mood because of the endorphins. I still get larthargic around that time but I just try to push through it and still do some type of activity even if it is just a walk(I have found that increasing my carb intake duirng PMS has helped me with being so tired). I started to take a multi-vitamin and fish oil daily about a year ago and this has been fabulous for my body. You may want to visit a health food store and speak to an herbalist ragarding natural supplements you may be able to take. 800 MG motrin has also been my savior although I have found that with the more weight I lose the less I need it because my cycles are a lot easier to deal with. I really hope you find something that works for you~

Yikes! At least you knew better. For any woman who has a history of migraines and your doctor doesn't tell you about issues with BCP and migraines - find another doctor!

So true!!!! I found another doctor who was male in fact. He is Dr. that actually diagnosed the migraines and explained that hormonal bc was probably not a good combination:ohwell: I found so many herbal supplements that helped me even herbal teas. Amazing:happy:
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I know that a lot of people are pushing the birth control idea, but I guess maybe it's the holistic side of me that is screaming "no!!!". I went off birth control because the chances of breast cancer go up pretty substantially,

THIS ^^ My dr won't prescribe hormonal birth control for me due to my family cancer history... Be careful what you put in your body.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis and that sounds like me every month. I went on the Nuvaring (more steady hormones) It improved my cramps and mood swings drastically.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I used to be just like you but I made some changes and I barely feel it anymore and my period has gone from 7 days to 2-3 days. I eat healthier (no junk food and little processed food), stay away from sugar, I don't drink caffeine or diet pop anymore and I think what was the biggest thing I did, I began working out. Exercise is like a miracle cure for my cramps. They used to be so bad I would lay on the couch in tears and now if I feel like I'm getting them I do a little exercise and they are gone. Good Luck!
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The BC comments scare me too. I was put on it when I was about 17. I lasted a week on it and had migraines every other day for over a month because of it. It does help some people but it's for sure not a cure all.

Incidentally, you can take an extra cal/mag...it relaxes muscles so you won't have so much in the way of cramping.

Hope you feel better.
  • gwensmamma06
    Options

Meh, I read the articles and I could prob. poke around more.. but honestly, B/C is what works for me.

I'm monitored by my doc once a year, my blood pressure is picture perfect, and there is no history of breast cancer in my family. Until I hear otherwise, I'm not stopping... It's worked wonders for me, and I sure it can for others too... Not everything can be fixed by diet and exercise.. or by a pill. It's about the person and what they feel is best.

This made me laugh... go ahead and take your BC pill because it is what works for you. Don't argue with someone else that they need to prove something to you when you simply don't care to see the facts. I guess we need people like you to take birth control for a lifetime to provide the information that shows how dangerous the pill really is.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

This made me laugh... go ahead and take your BC pill because it is what works for you. Don't argue with someone else that they need to prove something to you when you simply don't care to see the facts. I guess we need people like you to take birth control for a lifetime to provide the information that shows how dangerous the pill really is.

The pill is not dangerous.. Millions of women have been taking it for ages with no problems. Unless you have a pre-existing condition or don't heed the warnings.. then it can get dangerous.

I wanted to see studies because I've never heard of anyone saying that before... is that so wrong? Nope. I wasn't trying to aruge with her.. but apparently you're trying to argue with me.

I'm sorry but when I'm bed ridden for a week due to my period, and B/C is the only that helps.. I'm damn well going to take it. As long as I'm under Doctors care and she says I'm fine, then it's not a big deal.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    My periods have been really weird since I had my kids, but except for when I was a teenager, I hadn't had cramping until my last 2 or 3 periods, unless I'd had caffeine. I read somewhere that we crave chocolate because our body needs magnesium, but the caffeine in the chocolate can make cramping worse. I noticed whenever I have caffeine the day before or day of starting my period I would get cramps. I would see my gyno if mine was as bad as what you're describing.