In a pickle

Options
Hello

Since starting with MFP my activity level has been set at the lowest as I work in an office job. However I am now pretty much half the size I was and I exercise at least 5 days a week (spinning, general gym, body pump, circuits etc so pretty intense) and still my settings are the same.

I'm starting to plateau (and also started having that awful ammonia smell situation when working out) but wasn't sure if I should change my activity level/eat more/eat less (I very rarely eat all of my calories thought) and if I did change my activity level would I then also still log the exercise i was doing as additional calories? For some reason I'm very confused.

I certaintly dont want to lose momentum and so i just want to get everything sorted.

I also have Graves disease and just started on the 'replace' portion of block and replace treatment last week (so started taking thyroxine with my anti-thyroid to get a balance in case that makes a difference)

Any help out there? xx

Replies

• anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani!

Congratulations on your weight loss (half your old size, awesome!) and the level of activity you're maintaining. 5 days a week is no small feat.

I know that once hyperthyroidism has been effectively treated, you may start to experience hypothyroidism (the pendulum effect). Since you mentioned that you are starting the replacement portion of your therapies, you might begin to experience weight gain, as this is one of the effects of an overactive thyroid.
    It could be that you are experiencing a plateau because your body is adjusting to this new level of hormones, or that something is wrong.
    So, I think you should talk to your healthcare professional about your concerns with weight gain or plateau despite exercising hard and eating right. It could be that your body is reacting to your treatment or it could be a completely normal readjustment.

My advice stems from clinical laboratory science education but I am not a physician!

Take care :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your profile...congrats on the 91 pounds lost!! From the look of things you are down to less than 20 to go. You may want to ask your doctor to send you to a dietician to consult on your intake macros. At this point it is completely normal for your weight loss to slow down, and to even get more difficult to lose. While changing your medications your weight will most likely fluctuate a bit anyway and it might be to your advantage to leave well enough alone or maintain until you get the meds stabilized. Discuss your concerns with your doctor for the healthiest way to go about it.