whey in water

Options
So my coach has switched my diet and I am having to mix my whey in water. I take Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. This morning I mixed 2 scoops in 16oz and I almost threw up the last few oz. I am allowed to have a piece of fruit or some berries with it but am not sure how it would taste or blend up with some fruit. Would it taste a bit better if I used half that amount of water? It had little flavor to it and the little it did have would hit the back of my throat when I stopped drinking and activated my gag relux. Anyone have advice for taking it with water? Maybe a brand that tastes better with water?

Replies

• mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    yeah i cut the milk out of mine and am just using water - i use bodyfortress chocolate and I mean its nothing to write home about but it actually tastes pretty decent with water

I try and use as little water as possible tho - just so I can try and take it back as fast as possible, just reminisce the college days and pretend you are taking shots :P
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    try a banana in it. I always use one but I use milk...
  • AlmostRipe
    AlmostRipe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wow, I also drink optimum gold but ive never tried it with milk, i just jumped straight in with the water, i've got the strawberry-banana flavour and i throw in a fresh banana, blend it all up and it just tastes like a banana shake to me :) Pretty nice, try it with different fruits and maybe combine fruits, i heard fresh banana + fresh strawberries are good with it too
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,911 Member
    Options
    Why? Milk is perfect for that application. Berries are also good for altering the taste, for the better.
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress also. I have chocolate and Vanilla. I have always used water. With the vanilla you can add any flavor of Crystal Light to make flavored protein. I like the sunrise orange. Taste like a creamsicle. I also make my chocolate with black coffee. Taste great. You can also add berries to it. I use a blender, ice, water, flavoring and berries.
  • Tarah1218
    Options
    wow, I also drink optimum gold but ive never tried it with milk, i just jumped straight in with the water, i've got the strawberry-banana flavour and i throw in a fresh banana, blend it all up and it just tastes like a banana shake to me :) Pretty nice, try it with different fruits and maybe combine fruits, i heard fresh banana + fresh strawberries are good with it too

Next tub I will order from strawberry-banana and throw in my fruit in the blender. I use Malt right now , it tastes great with milk, with water not so good. I have a huge 5lb tub and only about 1/3 or so through it.
  • trooper605
    trooper605 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Almond milk.....mmmmmm

See if you can use that....tastes better than water and no dairy.......
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    First, I would find out why you are strictly required to take this with water.

I PERSONALLY take it with water but it's because:

a) My body doesn't handle milk in large amounts very well.
    b) I want to eat my calories whenever possible and using water allows me to save those milk-calories for food.

But there's certainly nothing wrong with mixing milk in your whey and it will make it much more tasty -- just need to account for the calories.

I would first try reducing the amount of water. Try mixing two scoops in about 8oz water and shake it up. Should make it slightly sweeter and less watery. Frozen mixed berries are a good addition as well.
  • Tarah1218
    Options
    First, I would find out why you are strictly required to take this with water.

I PERSONALLY take it with water but it's because:

a) My body doesn't handle milk in large amounts very well.
    b) I want to eat my calories whenever possible and using water allows me to save those milk-calories for food.

But there's certainly nothing wrong with mixing milk in your whey and it will make it much more tasty -- just need to account for the calories.

I would first try reducing the amount of water. Try mixing two scoops in about 8oz water and shake it up. Should make it slightly sweeter and less watery. Frozen mixed berries are a good addition as well.

Both of these reasons are why the milk was cut. I bloat like no other with milk and I can save those calories for other protien rich sources later in the day. I did it with half the water today and much better...I am thinking I can probably cut it down again too. Did not want to puke. Lesson learned the hard way.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I try to use as little water as possible so its thicker. Too much water for me makes me gag as the taste isnt great anyway! Maybe try some different flavours that maybe nicer?
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Why water? only 35 calories for un sweeten almond milk

Silk - Pure Almond Milk Unsweetened, 1 cup 35 calories
    Champion Nutrition - Pure Whey Protein Stack - Vanilla, 2 Scoop 250 calories (1 Scoop if your prefer) for 125 calories
    Strawberries-Raw, Un sugared, 5 medium strawberries 31 calories
    Total: 316 calories

I do add some ice so it's like a strawberry milkshake, if you want sweeter add one pack of Stevia..
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress also. I have chocolate and Vanilla. I have always used water. With the vanilla you can add any flavor of Crystal Light to make flavored protein. I like the sunrise orange. Taste like a creamsicle. I also make my chocolate with black coffee. Taste great. You can also add berries to it. I use a blender, ice, water, flavoring and berries.

oh man i think you just changed my world - never thought about adding it to coffee, would cut out all those creamer calories!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Try 4oz of water per scoop, instead of 8oz. Too watered down and it's kind of nasty. There's a sweet spot.

That said, what's the harm in mixing it with something that fits into your macros for the day?
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi

I use PHD diet whey and have always mixed it with water it makes a really thick shate and tastes great and I mean really great espicially the belgium chocolate

Lucy
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Why are you letting someone else dictate what you eat?
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I always mix my whey protein with water and nothing else.. It's probably more an issue of what you are used to.
  • candlelady
    candlelady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Half water and half milk. Mix it with ice and a banana :)
  • JourneyTo130
    JourneyTo130 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I use the Cyto Sport 100% Whey Protein Makers of Muscle Milk - Vanilla Shake. I've always made it w/ water and really like it :-) It's also a great bang for your buck. $30 for 6 lbs.

In the morning I like to blend it with a banana and 1 tbsp of Nescafe (0 cal)...it's my version of an iced latte! Total 230 cal for a filling protein packed breakfast.

Good Luck!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    When it sits a couple of minutes it seems to blend together a little better. Just re-stir it and it may taste better to you.
  • rhinojoe
    Options
    I always add my chocolate flavored whey to black coffee. It's like a poor-man's mocha. Plus I get the added potassium of the coffee, and negligible calories.