Omg, Candy Addiction out of control.

Options
I can't give it up, it's my favorite thing. Especially hunny buns, candy bars and cake. Any suggestions to get these sweet treats out of my mind for good???

Replies

• Ruz456
    Ruz456 Posts: 99
    Options
    I like to think of it this way, by eating that piece of candy you'll get a short term satisfaction from it, but tomorrow or a week from then you'll regret that choice and would felt better and been healthier in the long run if you didnt eat it, idk if that makes any sense but thats what I think about when faced with a temptation lol
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat craisins now. At first it was like "meh" but now...I love those little guys. They kind of taste like a fruit roll up. Oh. Instead of cookies: Graham cracker and fat free pudding mixed in a bowel. hmmm what else. I still get my sweet stuff. Just different now. I totally miss kit kat though. Freaking so good!
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    check out OA. that is the only suggestion that i have. by the way, i like eating all that stuff also.
  • prettier_me
    prettier_me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    omg this is my life. today i had apple pie, pumpkin pie, and a snickers bar :'(
    it is literally the ruination of my health, and i'm afraid i'm going to get diabetes......
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Don't go too crazy with it. If you can go cold turkey, more power to you, but I think even if you just cut down on your current consumption of sweets you'll be far better off than you were before. I'd suggest eating healthy and then giving yourself a REWARD meal once a week where you eat ONE candy bar. Don't splurge during that reward meal, make sure you count the calories there too! Good luck :)
  • Tialove1
    Options
    Don't get it out of your mind for good cause then one day you'll eat a small piece of something sweet and before you know it you will go buck wild with your sweets. Just practice self control and have something sweet every once in a blue moon that way you will still be on track with your weightloss. Also, make sure your sweet portions are small and don't have any regrets about what you ate.
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32
    Options
    I eat craisins now. At first it was like "meh" but now...I love those little guys. They kind of taste like a fruit roll up. Oh. Instead of cookies: Graham cracker and fat free pudding mixed in a bowel. hmmm what else. I still get my sweet stuff. Just different now. I totally miss kit kat though. Freaking so good!
    Mixed in a bowel? Hmmm...not sure about that. :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I just don't buy a lot of sweets. A dark chocolate bar lasts me about a month.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Mixed in a bowel? Hmmm...not sure about that. :)

Yeah. That would put me off sweets, too.
  • Loverj79
    Loverj79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i agree with the cold turkey if you can! i did that cause i was bad. candy cookies, anything sweet. i few weeks after i went cold turkey i treated myself and it didnt taste the same it was almost nasty. and the little bit that i did have gave me a stomach ache. if you really cant do cold turkey little by little replace the snacks with another healthier one
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had read somewhere that it takes 30 days to lose a craving or get rid of a bad habit. Doesn't help you get over that craving, just gives you a time line of how long you may need to fight the craving. That said, if you can control how much you eat, a piece here or there won't hurt it's the uncontrolled eating that gets you.
  • kathyology
    Options
    Hi I am new to the group; but I have the same problem with candy. Actually I am addicted to sugar,and going through withdrawl now. I've never joined a group before or posted anything. This may be the lifesaver I need. Three years ago I had a gastric pass done.The first year I did well;I had lost 90lb after the surgery,but I started gradually puting the weight back on.Now I am back where I started before the surgery.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Don't have them in your house. Stock up on good stuff instead. Prunes, for example, make a great substitute for candy. Don't knock it ... they're very sweet, and 1/4 cup is a satisfying treat with lots of nutrients. Raisins too. (I'm less fond of craisins because they have added sugar). Any other fruit is good.
    Carrots and celery and any other crunchy veggies is a good substitute for chips, by the way, since often you really want the satisfying crunch rather than the chips themselves.

And, just once in a while, it doesn't hurt to indulge in one or two pieces of candy. But after a while of noshing on the good stuff, you find that you want the junk less and less.
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    that 20lb bag of Jolly Ranchers are the death of me......I put them in my basket, stroll around the store, and leave them back on the shelf....Otherwise, they last frigging forever!
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Well for me I have a chocolate addiction. A real addiction! So in order to become healthy I had to go cold turkey on the stuff. I know now that if I eat even a small amount then i'm in big trouble and will be back on the stuff. It is really like a drug for me.

If you can control your intake and eat it in small amounts/in moderation then thats cool and you'd be able to work it into your eating plan but if not then you may like to think about going cold turkey and steering clear from it for good. What happened with me is now I have an addiction for veges, I get my buzz from carrots now, seriously! lol. So maybe you need to give it up and soon you wont be craving it. It will take a good 3 - 4 weeks. Good luck!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    meh. i had peanut m&m's yesterday. but i measured out a half a cup, and mixed it up with almonds and rasisns. makes a great snack.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I rarely buy it.

If you don't have it, you can't eat it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    2 schools of thought;

either don't buy them at all (but can lead to cravings and then binges) or eat them in moderation and fit them in your cals (this assumes you can eat them in moderation of course)
  • JayBear13
    JayBear13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I slowly cut down and now that I dont eat it I dont crave it
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I had read somewhere that it takes 30 days to lose a craving or get rid of a bad habit. Doesn't help you get over that craving, just gives you a time line of how long you may need to fight the craving.

I tend to disagree on this. Dunno maybe its different for others but in my case I was able to get over my junk food and chocolate food craving after going cold turkey so that I dont crave that stuff anymore. I crave the good foods, the healthy lean skinless chicken, the tuna, the salads the wholegrain foods, fruits. I reckon after a while and I cant remember how long it was for me, but after some time of eating clean foods, i stopped craving the processed crap and craved the healthy foods. So you can reprogramme the brain.

Dont give up guys you can do it. Eat the stuff in moderation but if you have an addiction and its killing you then there is a way out. You just need to give it some time. :) Hang in there. I gaurentee you can change what your body craves. I'm living proof.

Also I exercise vigorously, and function best on clean fuel. This is what my body demands of me now (to perform at my best and so I can perform). haha I'll have to be careful what i choose to eat at the christmas party (I wouldn't mind indulging a bit) however the last time i did that at the melbourne cup work lunch I felt sooooo ill after eating the oily nandos arrgh, my cure to make myself feel better was a 2 hour bike ride haha then i was good as new. So I think i'll order a healthy alternative as my body doesn't agree with the fattier foods anymore.
    :)