Losing 10+ lbs a month... HOW?!?!?!?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• trill0042
    trill0042 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I started really counting calories and exercising on Oct 7. I've lost 20 so far, so it averages to 10 a month. I'm 5'6" and 29 years old. When I started I weighed 237. My diarys public, so take a look if you want.
  • Pickedlast4gym
    Options
    I lost almost 10 my first month, then it really slowed down....I was freaking out, until I tried on some clothes and did some measurements......and yahoooo!!!!!!!! I am in a little plateu now....
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You know every one looses at their own pace. And yes while the more weight you have to loose the faster you can loose it in the beginning is true, but don't belittle someone for the amount they loose. This really gets me. People talk like oh she or he lost 15 or twenty pounds because they are really big and it's mostly water weight. BS. You don't know how hard that person has worked to get the weight off and you don't know if it's water or fat. Give the person their credit for a job well done.

Can't we just agree, people loose weight differently because each person goes about it in their own way differently (what works for them) and that each person's body is different? And be happy for them? Instead of making generic statments like it's probably water weight?
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My first month here, I was one of those people who lost 20 lbs. Like someone else said, it melted off with eating properly and getting the right amount of exercise. It has been slower in my second month. I've lost 10 (will be weighing in today to confirm). Everyone's body is different. Since this is a lifestyle change, we can't discouraged. Everyone will eventually plateau, we just need to find our own ways of breaking through.
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The bigger you the faster the weight comes off. Everyone is different but it does slow down. At the beginning you lose water and that helps a lot. My doctor said for the first few months it's ok to drop around 15 a month anymore than that it's getting a little scary. She also said not to get discouraged because the weight will slow down but also to get a measuring tape because you weight may be slowing down but you still lose inches!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It's not hard when you have a lot to lose. I started MFP at 366 the first of May. I had already lost 11 lbs. I was losing 10 lbs easy the first 4 months. I wasn't exercising I was just cutting calories. I was still eating close to 1900 calories a day. Losing 10 lbs a month is only 1166 calories a day. When you are severely overweight it's not hard to cut that much out and still eat a healthy amount of food even without exercising. It's all relative.