Gym Dress at the Gym?! What do you wear?

Options

Replies

• live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Underwear ALWAYS underwear....So many people seem to forget theirs :frown: Usually something from Walmart Danskin brand :happy:
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm a soccer player at heart so I'm usually in soccer shorts and a t-shirt. I think I have about 7 different colored Adidas shorts.

We're usually hot down here so I don't have too many workout pants. Plus I'm a mom so throwing on a pair of shorts in the morning is easy for me. Though, I sometimes joke that I dress like a 16 year old boy. Get the kids to school, go to the gym, do whatever the kids have going on after school... LOL I pretty much live in these types of clothes during the week. I do have some bra tops that I like but I usually prefer the roominess of a t-shirt/tank top.
  • Staceslim
    Staceslim Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home so far. I definately will not be joining a gym when I can do it at home & not spend so much money. I wear a t-shirt & shorts. Of course a sports bra, socks & sneakers. I totally need a sweat band, not sure if a bandana would work for absorbing sweat. I would really love some bra tops to wear but don't really know where to shop.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The dress code at my gym is really just common sense : closed in shoes, a shirt and everyone must have a towel. I wear shorts or leggings, depending on my mood, and with a t-shirt or tank up top. Always a sports bra (I like to find ones that make me feel good), socks and shoes. I don't wear sneakers but I have these ones that look like mary jane shoes. They were cheap and they are super comfy :) I have worn my bikini to the gym but for Aqua Aerobics and I ALWAYS wear a tank top over it. I like to make sure I'm covered and that I'm not offending anyone with my muffin top.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have 2 pair of Adidas pants that I rotate each week. I wear whatever t-shirt I grab out of the closet (mismatching and all.)
  • lxspollack
    Options
    Zumba cargos(in vibrant bright colors) yoga pants or capris and Alway Always a tank ... I get TOO hot in a regular T-shirt. I'd have to find a new gym if my gym implemented a 'no tank top dress code'

What other people wear to the gym is NOT my concern. I'm there to workout So unless what you wear to the gym directly affects my workout negatively, I don't care what you wear. And if ever you wear your bikini to spin class ... more power to ya! One day I hope to look good enough to wear a bikini in spin class... Not that I would.

Undergarment are definitely a must for me although I'm sure they aren't always for some...
  • rpstaller
    Options
    I’m resurrecting this thread.

I don’t understand why I can’t wear jeans at the gym. Not that I do, I always wear sweat pants and a t-shirt but I really don’t get why jeans are against the rules.

I went to my mechanic over the weekend and he told me it was going to be about an hour before he was ready for me so I decided to go to the gym to kill the time. I got there and, knowing that jeans were against the dress code, I asked the lady at the front desk if it was really a big deal that I was wearing jeans. She says, “Oh, no! You can’t wear jeans!” And she was totally serious. You should have seen the expression on her face, you would have thought she just found out there was no tooth fairy. I explained that I had not planned on going to the gym, just had 45 minutes to kill, and I was just going to use the elliptical machine and she ended up letting me in.

Regardless, it doesn’t make any sense to me. If someone is comfortable working out in jeans and they want to wear jeans at the gym, what difference does it make?

Can anyone help me understand what the problem is with jeans at the gym?
  • andreacord
    Options
    tank top or teeshirt with a sports bra underneath and yoga pants, crosstraining socks and my gym shoes.. not big into cute workout tops yet, will probably get some nice ones from lululemon when I hit goal. =)

Edit: I worked at a ladies gym in my hometown with no dress code, however I have worked out in jeans when the gym hasn't been busy .. and I find it super uncomfortable .. especially when your jeans don't fit!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i go in my boxers and shirtless so all the girls/jelly guys can be mirin' me
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    A XXXL t-shirt, sports bra, running shoes that have only touched the gym floor, socks, and maternity pants... they are stretchy and big... very comfy...
    But now I've lost so much weight, both the shirt and the pants are starting to fall off so I may have to find some new gym clothes...
  • Beeazlebub
    Options
    I usually where a leather bananna hammock, leather knee high boots with silver spikes on the knees, and my spiked "Road Warrior" shoulder pads.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i just wear like football shorts that are just above the knee and a tshirt or a vest. sometimes but rarely a long sleeved top
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    when I go to workout, I could careless what I'm wearing all I want to do it get a good sweat in! I'm normally in Capri spandex pants, sports bra and a oversize shirt. Sometimes I'm matching, most times I'm not. If I'm going to take a workout class, I try to match at least :bigsmile:
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    OP, I wear the same you do to train. That being said, I prefer gyms without to many rules (I like gym that allows chalk, grunting, etc) If they want to train in a bikini they can knock themself out. But in the very least banning tanks seems over the top to me.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    boot cut sweats, a T-shirt with a tank under (don't want to fall out)
    I have worn Pj's in the past but they looked similar to the sweats and T-shirt.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Regardless, it doesn’t make any sense to me. If someone is comfortable working out in jeans and they want to wear jeans at the gym, what difference does it make?

Can anyone help me understand what the problem is with jeans at the gym?

The sign at my gym says no jeans and other pants with buttons or zippers that may tear the upholstery on the equipment, so I assumed that was the issue with jeans. I don't know for sure.
    My gym also prohibits bra tops and tops that show too much clevage. And you must wear close toed shoes.

I could never go to a gym that does not allow tank tops. I can't stand being in a t-shirt, especially if I am sweating/warm. Even in everyday clothes, I rarely wear t-shirt. I typcially wear a tank top with something overtop that I can remove if I get warm.

I wear capris/long yoga pants or running shorts with running tops with built in bras, or regular tank tops (usually Lululemon) and sneakers.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I wear a tshirt and sweats. I look at it, as i am at the gym I dont need to be in fancy work out clothes.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    our YMCA had dress code that belly cannot be uncovered and my son wore a cut off t-shirt one day and his nipples showed when he bent over (gasp!) and he was told not to wear that again. i usually wear some kind of shorts and tank top.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    lulu lemon pants & whatever tank top is clean :P
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    <
    I wear that with a racer tank over top, no one really wants to see me walking around in my bra. I really don't understand ladies that don't wear a shirt at the gym, but then again all the guys even walk around with shirts on, so it's just a more conservative atmosphere than some.

Edited for serious Monday morning brain fart. A "razor tank" would cause some serious pain, i suspect.