too much sugar!!!

Options
clarkeje1
clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
So I'm eating 1200 calories a day and I'm allowed to have 24g of sugar. I go over that EVERY day! Can someone give me some tips on how to cut back on sugar?

Replies

• stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    start cutting out where you can. can you drink diet sodas?? or even just cut them out? how about when you go out ot eat, try not to get sugary foods. try natural juices or even crystal light drinks are delicious!! cook as much as you can so you control the sugar. use natural sugars instead of refined, agave nectar is good, low in sugar and its natural. also they have sugar substitutes you can cook with or bake with as well. just think before you put something in your mouth and be conscious of what is in it!! just try to substitue things out slowly if your not into substitue sugars. try fruits instead of sugary desserts.
  • calipete
    Options
    You also might want to try Stevia - you can pick this up at most Walmart.
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just took a peek at your diary. Too much soda, juice, and prepackaged meals! Soda is a big no no! Even diet is so bad for you. I stopped drinking soda drinks in high school and there is a withdrawl period. Give it two weeks and you wont even want the junk anymore. My boyfriend stopped drinking it when we joined MFP and he had 3 glasses at a party, no alcohol, last week and felt hung over in the morning from it. It only takes a few weeks to get that junk out of your system. If you find yourself reaching for it, grab some water or plain green tea instead.

As for the prepackaged meals, those things are also JUNK. Sodium and sugar through the roof. Those are preservatives, that's why those things last so dang long. Some of those prepackaged meals can have half your daily sodium in a little package.

And read labels on juices. Some are awesome, while some are just sugar factories. I'm drinking that Trop 50 stuff now and it's 10 sugar for a whole glass, so I drink half of one.

Read all your labels before you eat stuff. My biggest hinderance on sugar is I love breakfast cereal. So I try to eat as little sugar in the rest of my meals as possible to account for it.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    healthy sugars are okay, i.e. fruits, yogurt etc but looks like you have a lot of soda in your diary. try cutting them back and then eventually cutting them out, or switch to diet.
  • nborsh22
    nborsh22 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, 1410 calories gives me 31 sugar. I go over that every day before lunch. A glass of orange juice and my yogurt put me over first thing. I tend to ignore that number now. If I'm making healthy choices and get the sugar from healthy foods I'm just not going to worry about it. If I were going over because of bad snacks that would be different and I would try to cut down.
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    A glass of orange juice and my yogurt put me over first thing. I tend to ignore that number now. If I'm making healthy choices and get the sugar from healthy foods I'm just not going to worry about it. If I were going over because of bad snacks that would be different and I would try to cut down.

I totally agree. I just went back over my diary the past few weeks and most of my sugar is coming from the fruit and veggies I eat. The rest is, as I said, my cereal. I need to find a new breakfast option, but I love it so much!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't worry about the sugar that comes from whole fruit. juice has a lot of sugar without the added benefit of the fiber that whole fruit has. i looked through your diary (about a week back) and you seem to be eating a lot of processed foods with sugar, cookies, and sugary cereals.like others have said, limit those (or cut them out completely) and you'll be fine.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. Coke is definitely a no-no. If you feel you can't cut back on coke, then switch to diet for now, and start weaning yourself off of it.. Or you could still have it every once in a while, as a treat or something... But I actually drink water with crystal light in it, pretty watered down, just so my water has some flavor in it. If you feel you NEED your sugar, then stick to healthy sugars like fruit, to where you're at least getting nutritional value. You could even put all your fruit in a blender and drink it. All my sugar comes from fruit, really. If I do make something that requires sugar, I use a substitute, such as Truvia.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah I usually don't drink pop, when I do its very rare and a big treat for me. I used to drink at least 3 or more cans of pop a day and cut it out months ago when I started to watch what I ate. I used to hate water but now I drink it all the time and actually started to like it lol
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    um.... don't eat it. Look through your diary in the sugar column and eliminate the ones that have sugar counted in it.

Fruits can add up quickly. You may want to decide if you are going to eat this type of sugar or not. Some people find fruit sugars acceptable and don't count them toward their overall sugar count, but then some people say sugar is sugar.

It's up to you.
  • kellyjamespro
    kellyjamespro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I ignore sugar because its maily fruit!