To shed fat and build muscle?

Which shows results faster?

How long is best?

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.

The thing that makes you shed fat is having a calorie deficit created by either eating less than your body requires to maintain, exercising to burn extra calories, or a combination of the two. Pick the one that you think you will enjoy most or alternate them for variety. :-)
  • morgandy
    Options
    I wondered this myself a little while ago. I used to avoid the Elliptical trainer like the plague in favor of the treadmill, because I always assumed nothing beat running for cardio. However, one day when I was really bored with my routine I jumped onto the elliptical and loved it. It was just so much fun! I also noticed I was able to get my heart rate up faster than doing my normal routine on the treadmill. So now when I'm at the gym I do 20 min on the treadmill and 20 min on the elliptical just to spice things up. It seems to really work for me.
  • brooksaceb
    brooksaceb Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    according to my HRM i burn more calories running then i do on the elliptical. Then again the elliptical estimated calories burned is always higher than my HRM even thought it picks up the signal and they read the same. But i like the elliptical because if you use the resistance and the slope you can burn a lot of calories
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    cardio doesnt build muscle, weight lifting does that. Running actualy burns muscle. I prefer running over eliptical, although both are good for calorie burns.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I will often spend 30 minutes on the treadmill (all my knee will allow) followed by 30 on the elliptical. According to my HRM, the elliptical is the better burn, but running is so much more fun!
  • robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    wellllll...... I CAN'T RUN lol so for me it's the elliptical!
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    wellllll...... I CAN'T RUN lol so for me it's the elliptical!

LoL You sound like me! haha
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is kinder to your joints. I'd vote for the elliptical over running any day....
  • mikkijane1
    mikkijane1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle a few years ago, and if I do anything high impact (like running) for too long it starts to swell and hurt! I have found that the elliptical is a GREAT workout (I dial up the resistence to give my legs a good workout) and doesn't hurt my ankle at all. It's all about personal preference :) I can't stand the tredmill- I would rather run outdoors (for as long as my ankle will allow LOL).
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I find that I burn more doing elliptical than running. Usually when I run my heart rate is up like crazy but I can't go for very long. With elliptical my heart rate climbs slowly and I can go for like an hour to an hour and a half. Plus it tones you too. :smile:
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    running is my personal preference..I can run longer and further...on elliptical and treadmill I got bored and would give up.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, real exercise is always better than anything on a machine.
    There is no equal to the real thing.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees so i do the Elliptical for 30-60 mon I always try to do 10 min on the tredmill after my weights tho
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Running will get you in shape faster.(atleast in my opinion) I have done elliptical for a few years and I lost weight but never really toned or got good muscle tone. BUT I have been running for a few years now and have got great results! I am more toned anlean than ever before. Running definately tones and leans you out from waist down! But you have to take it easy at first. If you are just wanting to start I would do Couch to 5k program. It works!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Elliptical.

Hills.

Easy on the knees.

Want to build muscle fast? Take Zumba 3x week. You should see my Zumba teacher. He's amazing.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i do abit of both. i find i burn far more calories running on the treadmill but it is not everyday i am in the mood for a run or can run for a long period of time.
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    i thought i was then only one that gets bored with those machines. I can burn calories and stuff, but I have to come up with mental games to make me stay on longer than 15 min. Outside I can walk, jog forever. I need something to look at and a destination.
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    my husband used to be a runner. because he works out of town alot, he started using the eliptical at the hotel. when he came back home, and started running again, he wasn't able to run as well as he used to. I think, from his experience, the eliptical doesn't really do much to strengthen the muscle. More muscle = more fat burn

But any exercise is better than none. Do what you like.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on your preference. I started off with the elliptical and gradually moved up to running and once I started running I saw faster results. If you really want to burn some fat, jump rope. That has helped me tremendously.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    There is just something about running that brings more out in me than the elliptical ever did. I want to go faster and move harder than the elliptical. Elliptical is great for cross training IMO but running is really where it's at.