Muscle VS Fat

Options
I got this from the Shape Magazine. Now it says that muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat!!! I don't know what to believe!!!! I need some insight on this article!!!!

~Some of my clients weigh themselves daily, others not at all. In my experience what’s best depends on your relationship with the number. Some research indicates that people who weigh in daily are more successful at losing weight and keeping it off. But, if you tend to become stressed or obsessive about the number staring back at you, banishing the scale may be best. In any case, understanding how weight works is key. Here are three facts to keep in mind:

Fluctuations are Normal
When you step on the scale, you're weighing everything that has weight, not just your muscle, bone, and body fat, but also water, undigested food (even if it will all later be burned off), and waste that your body hasn't eliminated yet. The latter three are why your weight on a scale can shift very quickly, even if your body fat remains exactly the same. Sodium is another factor. It’s attracted to water like a magnet, so if you eat more sodium than usual, you’ll temporarily retain more water. Two cups (16 oz) of water retention equals one pound on the scale, yet you could be losing body fat at the same time. Bottom line: weight fluctuations from hour to hour or day to day are completely normal and to be expected. What’s most helpful is understanding your personal patterns - maybe you weigh more during a certain time of the month, or after eating a meal that’s saltier than usual. Rather than worrying about slight ups and downs, focus on putting blips in perspective and tracking larger changes over longer spans of time.

Pounds Don’t Tell the Whole Story
Two women can be the same height and the one who weighs more may be healthier, in better shape, or even wear a smaller size. While it’s not true that muscle weighs more than fat - a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound - muscle is more compact. If you think about the size of a pound of chicken breast compared to the size of a pound of shortening you can see the difference. The truth is a body that’s leaner (more muscle, less fat), well nourished and hydrated will weigh more than one that’s less toned, undernourished and dehydrated. It’s the quality of those pounds that matters most.

Weight Doesn’t Dictate Health
We live in a very weight-focused culture, but the truth is being at your ideal weight doesn’t guarantee health, and being overweight doesn’t automatically make you unhealthy. I’ve counseled women who have achieved the “right” weight for their height, but struggle with low bone density, a weakened immune system, fatigue, and hormone imbalances. I’ve also worked with fit women with higher than ideal weights who are amazingly strong, eat healthfully and have cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar numbers all within the normal ranges. While weight can provide some important info, it’s one piece of a much bigger health puzzle.~

Replies

• danielle11012
    danielle11012 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    although completely unscientific - I once lost 30 lbs and went clothes shopping with a friend. We tried on the same dress and it fit us both. I weighed 20 lbs more than her. At the time I was a soccer player and worked out - she didn't work out at all. That was my experience - so I believe muscle weighs more (oh - we are the exact same height too!).
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    when people say "muscle weighs more than fat" they mean that for a given volume (amount of space that it takes up) muscle weighs more than fat.

So if you had to bricks of the same exact size--one composed of muscle and one composed of fat--the one composed of muscle would weigh more.

Put another way...if you were to look at 5 pounds of muscle and compare it to 5 pounds of fat...the fat would be bigger.
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not necessarily weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. However a pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat because as the article says, "Muscle is more compact" even though they weigh the same. It is a matter of density. That is why a muscular person can weigh more than less muscular person of the same "size".
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I got this from the Shape Magazine. Now it says that muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat!!! I don't know what to believe!!!! I need some insight on this article!!!!

~Some of my clients weigh themselves daily, others not at all. In my experience what’s best depends on your relationship with the number. Some research indicates that people who weigh in daily are more successful at losing weight and keeping it off. But, if you tend to become stressed or obsessive about the number staring back at you, banishing the scale may be best. In any case, understanding how weight works is key. Here are three facts to keep in mind:

Fluctuations are Normal
    When you step on the scale, you're weighing everything that has weight, not just your muscle, bone, and body fat, but also water, undigested food (even if it will all later be burned off), and waste that your body hasn't eliminated yet. The latter three are why your weight on a scale can shift very quickly, even if your body fat remains exactly the same. Sodium is another factor. It’s attracted to water like a magnet, so if you eat more sodium than usual, you’ll temporarily retain more water. Two cups (16 oz) of water retention equals one pound on the scale, yet you could be losing body fat at the same time. Bottom line: weight fluctuations from hour to hour or day to day are completely normal and to be expected. What’s most helpful is understanding your personal patterns - maybe you weigh more during a certain time of the month, or after eating a meal that’s saltier than usual. Rather than worrying about slight ups and downs, focus on putting blips in perspective and tracking larger changes over longer spans of time.

This is simple--it's important to realize that the body is going to fluctuate for a multitude of reasons. Being slightly dehydrated can make you weigh several pounds less than normal--on the flipside...water retention can make you several pounds heavier. Water retention can occur due to sodium, a hard workout, or TOM.

Pounds Don’t Tell the Whole Story
    Two women can be the same height and the one who weighs more may be healthier, in better shape, or even wear a smaller size. While it’s not true that muscle weighs more than fat - a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound - muscle is more compact. If you think about the size of a pound of chicken breast compared to the size of a pound of shortening you can see the difference. The truth is a body that’s leaner (more muscle, less fat), well nourished and hydrated will weigh more than one that’s less toned, undernourished and dehydrated. It’s the quality of those pounds that matters most.

So, two people can be the same exact height--one can be 10 pounds lighter than the other and the heavier one appears thinner, more fit, and healthier. Muscle is critical in creating that distinction. If you are only concerned about the number on the scale you're missing the larger picture because the pounds aren't the bottom line--it's what the pounds are made of.
    Weight Doesn’t Dictate Health
    We live in a very weight-focused culture, but the truth is being at your ideal weight doesn’t guarantee health, and being overweight doesn’t automatically make you unhealthy. I’ve counseled women who have achieved the “right” weight for their height, but struggle with low bone density, a weakened immune system, fatigue, and hormone imbalances. I’ve also worked with fit women with higher than ideal weights who are amazingly strong, eat healthfully and have cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar numbers all within the normal ranges. While weight can provide some important info, it’s one piece of a much bigger health puzzle.~

This is basically saying that weight cannot be used as the sole determinant of health--some thin people are less healthy than heavier, more active individuals. Being overweight doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy, and being thinner doesn't mean healthy. It matters what you do to take care of the body you've been given.

I hope this helps!
  • hempelsa
    Options
    when people say "muscle weighs more than fat" they mean that for a given volume (amount of space that it takes up) muscle weighs more than fat.

So if you had to bricks of the same exact size--one composed of muscle and one composed of fat--the one composed of muscle would weigh more.

Put another way...if you were to look at 5 pounds of muscle and compare it to 5 pounds of fat...the fat would be bigger.

You said it perfectly. The statement 'muscle weighs more than fat' drives me insane. Not directed at anyone specific, but please return to middle school science and review density (mass/volume). Muscle is more dense than fat, and thus takes up less space for the same mass (or weight).
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    You need a third dimension for it to make sense.....here is how I look at it - a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat......(see the link below for picture)

I weigh nearly 25 lbs more than my friend (same height), but she can not fit into the pants that I wear... I work out at the gym 4 times a week, and walk / cycle the other days - she does no exercise at all

......http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html.....

000fat-v-muscle.jpg
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    1 pound of muscle weighs the EXACT same as 1 pound of fat.

Muscle is more dense and therefore takes LESS SPACE.

Think about the size of a brick and how much a brick weighs. Now think about feathers. How many feathers would you need in order for the feathers to weight the same amount as the brick. A room full.

The brick is muscle. The feathers is fat.
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    You're thinking in volumes, the article is talking about mass. 1lb of muscle DOES weigh the same as 1lb of fat, just like 1lb of feathers weigh the same as 1lb of lead. The difference is the volume - in the same way that 1lb of feathers may fill a small room while 1lb of lead will fit in your hand - the same is true of muscle/fat. 1lb of muscle takes up a lot less space then 1lb of fat - hence a gym-go'er can weigh a lot more then a non-gym-go'er, but still be smaller!
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options

Or put another way ... a pound of feather versus a pound of rocks. Which is more? Although a pound is a pound, there are going to be a tonne more feathers, lol.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    *headdesk*
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What kind of idiot thinks a pound of anything weighs more than a pound of anything else? It's semantics. Using that logic, everything weighs the same.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    What kind of idiot thinks a pound of anything weighs more than a pound of anything else? It's semantics. Using that logic, everything weighs the same.
    Is my motorcyle at 10 mph faster than my bicycle at 10 mph?
  • Malani2010
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! This explains a lot. I have always heard this from overweight ppl and my family....I guess I wasn't understanding the article. I am starting to understand it now!!! That is what I am going through right now. I didn't lose weight this last weigh in but come to find out I lost another pants size and so I was a little confused.
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! This explains a lot. I have always heard this from overweight ppl and my family....I guess I wasn't understanding the article. I am starting to understand it now!!! That is what I am going through right now. I didn't lose weight this last weigh in but come to find out I lost another pants size and so I was a little confused.
    Excellent. You are doing well. There are many on here that would say losing a pants size is a big deal (and more meaningful than a number on the scale). Congratulations.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    We've been trying to explain this to MFPeeps for years.

:flowerforyou:
  • twirwin
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat is a perfectly acceptable thing to say and is accurate. It's the same as saying, "rocks weigh more than feathers." Nobody is saying that a 1 pound of something weighs more than 1 pound of something. Don't be dense (pun intended).
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Congrats - have you been taking measurements of body areas - like waist, thighs, hips and arms? If not do that - while the scale is a nice gauge to give you a ball park if you are eating right and working out then hopefully you are loosing body fat...if you have a lot of body fat then it is possible to only loose a few lbs but be able to wear a different size in pants or dresses.

Since the beginning of the year I have only lost a total of 12 lbs...BUT my bodyshape has changed a lot - I've only lost an inch or so in my waist and hips BUT I have lost 3 inches off each of my thighs (guess I figured out where the bulk of my fat was being stored) - my arms stayed the same - but now when I flex you can see definition lines (and the underside doesn't flutter as much)
  • Malani2010
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat is a perfectly acceptable thing to say and is accurate. It's the same as saying, "rocks weigh more than feathers." Nobody is saying that a 1 pound of something weighs more than 1 pound of something. Don't be dense (pun intended).

You know I am or was seriously confused here!!! Your comment sounded kind of rude. I am trying not to freak out at the scale not moving and was needing some insight. IF you think I am stupid for asking then just keep it to your self and don't be rude!!
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    You are correct up until your "Nobody is saying...." statement. The debate over the weight difference between 10 pounds of muscle and 10 pounds of fat (as well as 10 pound barbells and 10 pound reams of paper) has erupted on MFP multiple times. So clarity is needed.
  • twirwin
    Options

You know I am or was seriously confused here!!! Your comment sounded kind of rude. I am trying not to freak out at the scale not moving and was needing some insight. IF you think I am stupid for asking then just keep it to your self and don't be rude!!

I wasn't talking to anyone in particular.