Good Fat

Options
Right now, my intake of fat is around 15 - 17 % of my total caloric intake. While my total cholesterol is ok--184, my triglycerides are high. After a little research on the net, I have discovered there is a connection between too low of a fat intake and higher triglycerides. So, my question is, what "good fat" sources do you use? Mostly my fat intake comes from olive oil, nuts, and lean meat. Any other tasty sources of "good fat"?

Replies

• azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Right now, my intake of fat is around 15 - 17 % of my total caloric intake. While my total cholesterol is ok--184, my triglycerides are high. After a little research on the net, I have discovered there is a connection between too low of a fat intake and higher triglycerides. So, my question is, what "good fat" sources do you use? Mostly my fat intake comes from olive oil, nuts, and lean meat. Any other tasty sources of "good fat"?
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should add that what I found, indicated fat intake should be 20 - 30% of total calories.
  • doodlebug
    doodlebug Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like avacados for good fat as well
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yep - I second the avocado suggestion!! Yummy - and peanuts, including natural peanut butters. The standard Jif, PeterPan etc, have fully hydrogoneted oils and the low fat ones take out the good fat and replace it with sugars. Other than what you already do - that's all I got! :flowerforyou:
  • taylorgirl
    taylorgirl Posts: 81
    Options
    I recommend the book "A Week in the Zone" by Dr. Barry Sears, who offers a list of favorable and unfavorable Fat, Carbs and Protein. He also gives good advice on meals and offers menus you can follow and enjoy. Excellent read...Cost is only $5.99 for the small size paperback.:bigsmile:
  • maree
    maree Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yep I agree with the Avocado suggestions - Good for you and delicious!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    fish, not fried please. Great source of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids.

Dark meat from turkey and chicken.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I agree with dark meat on chicken. I used to just stick to chicken breasts but got bored after awhile and as soon as I got over my fear of fat....I started using chicken thighs in a lot of recipes! YUMM!:tongue:

I am also for the avocado and fish as well!! I love salmon! :love: And I often put sliced avocado on my turkey sandwiches.