Sugar substitutes?

Options
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on sugar substitutes? I used to use Splenda, but then I read that is was not as 'natural' as I thought it was (it's not natural at all lol), so I've recently switched to stevia (I use the Truvia brand now)...I had a friend tell me today that she read somewhere that Splenda was better for you than Stevia! I know there are a lot of other options (agave, etc.), but I really like the 0-calorieness of Truvia and was just looking for more information! Thanks everyone.

~Merri

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use either a purer form of Stevia (the liquid drops have been less processed than the powdered Truvia, from what I understand) or just plain sugar, but use a smaller amount than I used to use.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If you're consuming enough artificial sweeter that it makes a difference which one is "healthier," you've probably got bigger problems to worry about anyway
  • meredithashton
    meredithashton Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I only use it 1-3 times a day when I drink tea (other than that I only drink water)....But I was just curious if anyone had any other information.
  • SandyCurrier
    Options
    real honey or mollasses
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Just do a Google search or check out Web MD, Mayo Clinic, etc. for reputable articles on them. I for one cut out all of the artificial sweeteners from my diet and have benefited greatly. The ONE time I added back in Crystal Light for 3 days I got horrible headaches, ear ringing, ear canal itching, and join pain. I'm still suffering from it weeks later. I do use Stevia on occasion, but try to stay away from using a lot of it. It's a personal decision only you can make!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'll use whatever is available but at home I use Truvia.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't use any sweetener in my coffee or tea. But in general, I use honey.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I suggest totally getting away from sugar in any form - except on "free day" if you do that.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I suggest totally getting away from sugar in any form - except on "free day" if you do that.

why?
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

why?

ditto.
  • meredithashton
    Options
    Thanks for all your input guys...

I don't think I could cut sugar completely out of my diet...And I don't do cheat days because I want to create a lifestyle that I can sustain and not fluctuate or entice myself to stray from that lifestyle. =D I have done a good job so far of cutting out caffeine and all beverages besides water and tea....next I will try to eliminate the added Truvia then! We will see how that goes.
  • Lily_1
    Lily_1 Posts: 38
    Options
    It's best to use sugar in moderation, honey and not a substitute. The chemicals in them are toxic and harmful to your body. Google it for more info.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I only use it 1-3 times a day when I drink tea (other than that I only drink water)....But I was just curious if anyone had any other information.

Just use less real sugar in your tea.
  • meredithashton
    Options
    Mondaythe1st--

That article was very informative. Thank you!
  • holli_walker
    holli_walker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    None are great for you but I use splenda. I have done very limited research but truvia studies have been done and not allowed to be sold in europe. The plant is comes from stevia has been stated to cause guys unable to have kids. So kind of freaked me out. But that is just me. Good luck.
  • jeni_Giedd
    Options
    I'm using Stevia for my tea, but regular sugar for baking.
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda for my tea or coffee a couple times a day.
  • fitnwhole
    Options
    I was a big time splenda user but now I use Whey Low Granulated Sugar. Google it. It's all natural unlike splenda and it's pretty much sugar and whey....I think. All I know is that it is delicious. I'm a southern girl and I used the sugar 1 for 1 in all of my baking and NO ONE knew the difference. No aftertaste AT ALL. So freakin' good. I know it sounds like an advertisment but I am not affliated with the company at all. I heard about this stuff from a diet blog and ordered it. I also think it's good for diabetics. What sold me was that it taste JUST LIKE sugar and 75% less calories (so the websites says). Anyhoo, I love it as I'm sure all of you can tell :)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've read a few articles on how they make Truvia and it SEEMS to be pretty much a scam in regards to it being even remotely "natural". However, if you do some research of your own with reputable sources there is some good info out there.

I personally do not like the taste of any artificial sweeteners, and will gladly cough up 15-30 calories for 1-2 teaspoons of regular sugar in my giant cup of hot tea. I don't need any sugar or sweetener at all in iced tea with lemon, but with hot tea for some reason it's a must-have. I absolutely loathe the flavor of honey, so I just use plain old sugar.

So, mostly for taste reasons, artificial sweeteners just aren't for me. If they ever come up with one that doesn't taste like crap to me, I'd probably use it in moderation.