Is it possible to gain 9 in a week?

Options
I was on an 8 day cruise and I got on the scale and it said I gained 9 pounds. I didn't go hella crazy (Except at the Chocolate Buffet the second to last day). I also can count the number of drinks I had. But I had been swimming, going to the gym, hiking and walking the whole cruise so I don't understand. Could it just be Sodium because I tried on my clothes and they don't feel tight at all. Strangely the actually feel looser. Please help I'm slowly freaking out.

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    In order to gain 9 lbs of FAT you would have had to have consumed 31,500 extra calories ON TOP of your usual mainteneance requirements. That's almost an extra 4000 calories per day of your 8 day cruise, IN ADDITION to your maintenance calories. Probably not impossible but definitely not very likely unless you went really out of control on the boat. Some of it might be actual weig gain but a good deal of it could also be you retaining water for various reasons (I bet the food was delicious and I bet there's no way to guess how much sodium was in it.....).

I say, give it a few days of getting back to your usual routine, drink lots of water, and don't freak out just yet.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It must be water weight, but I'll bet that if you weigh yourself in a few days, you'll be more stable. I had a friend who could gain 9 lbs over a weekend. The numbers don't really add up to that.
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    In order to gain 9 lbs of FAT you would have had to have consumed 31,500 extra calories ON TOP of your usual mainteneance requirements. That's almost an extra 4000 calories per day of your 8 day cruise, IN ADDITION to your maintenance calories. Probably not impossible but definitely not very likely unless you went really out of control on the boat. Some of it might be actual weig gain but a good deal of it could also be you retaining water for various reasons (I bet the food was delicious and I bet there's no way to guess how much sodium was in it.....).

I say, give it a few days of getting back to your usual routine, drink lots of water, and don't freak out just yet.

WHOA THAT's ALOT! O_O Yeah I didn't eat NEARLY that much. Thank you for this.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I gain 10 every time I go on a weeklong vacation. It's water weight.
  • Gabbymc6791
    Options
    I think you gained muscle in my opinion, especially if your clothes are fitting you better. Good job you even went in on vacation lol
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I think you gained muscle in my opinion, especially if your clothes are fitting you better. Good job you even went in on vacation lol

Im thinking it's probably impossible or at the very least, extremely difficult, to gain 9 lbs of muscle in 8 days. A lot of serious bodybuilding people on this site work incredibly hard to gain that kind of muscle, it does not happen that quickly especially if you're not doing serious weightlifting. And in order to gain that much muscle she would still have had to eat thousands and thousands of calories over her usual maintenance amount, on top of seriously intense training. But even if she did that, I still don't think she could gain that much muscle in 8 days on vacation. Just my opinion.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    You'd have to be pretty dedicated to gain 9 pounds of muscle in a year, much less 8 days.