How much do you flucuate in a day?

Options
As much as I know I shouldn't, I weigh myself every single morning, without fail. ;-) I don't let flucuations bother me, as I'm not totally set on a final number, but how I look and feel.

Anyway, Sunday morning I weighed myself and my scale told me I was down to 152.7.
This morning I got on again, and it said 155.3.

If I took it seriously, I'd go crazy. I worked out HARD on Saturday and Sunday, and am feeling a lot of muscle soreness today, so I'm sure I'm holding some water. Oh and that scoop of ice cream I had last night was well earned! ;-)

How about you other scale hoppers?

Annnnd, I can't spell FLUCTUATE today. Errg.

Replies

• Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am also a daily weigh-er... lol. Is weigh-er even a word??

I fluctuate up to five pounds a day. I stand on the scale every day before bed and then again in the morning... I know they say we shouldn't but I just can't help myself.

Cheers,
    Alsison
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I usually weight about 4-6 lbs more at night than I do in the morning.
    Day to day fluctuations are usually within 1-2 lbs.
    If you're prone to going crazy about what the scale says, I recommend you weigh less often, or maybe never :)
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some personal studies with my weight. I once weighed myself before a nap, slept for 2 hours, and lost 3 lbs. I'll randomly weigh myself throughout the day. Depending on how much sitting or standing or activity I'm doing. I don't record any of it. Just see what's working for me and what's not. I'm just interested on the how the body works on the scale when you eat, after you pee, naked vs clothes. Certain times of day, times of the month, etc. I do it just to see. I record only on certain days. It's just interesting to me. :)
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have weighed my self every day for the past 408 days.......I can count on my weight being 2-3 lbs less in the morning than my night weight. I can also temporarily gain 15 lbs in a weekend if I eat like the old me!!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I generally fluctuate by about three pounds on any given day. Honestly, it could be more if I weighed in the afternoon, after a big meal, or while wearing clothes.

I usually weigh in the nude, in the morning, after my first bathroom visit. That's when the number is the smallest. Even then, I'll be 157 one day and 154 the next, so I don't sweat it.
  • nm_runner
    Options
    I know I shouldn't, but I weigh morning and night, every day, too. Day to day, I can fluctuate 3 pounds, sometimes a little more. I used to be freaked out by the water retention after a hard workout, but that's all it is, so it doesn't bug me any more
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I swear I only lose weight once a week... sounds crazy, but I swear the scale wont budge until weigh in day.
    Last week Monday I was 187... Tuesday 185, Wed and Thurs same... Friday is weigh in day for me and I was 183.
    Now today I am back to 185...
    I will weigh about 3 to 5 lbs difference in a week. It drives me crazy, but it doesn't matter what the scale says until weigh in day :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i stopped weighing myself daily, even weekly. last weigh in was on december first. i was getting too obsessed with that number.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I weigh best in the AM after a good poo.

At night I weight a few lbs more.
  • fit443
    fit443 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I bump around a lot too - so I never believe the lowest number, or the highest number. I've been 5 lbs up by the end of the day so many times! I tell myself I'm a pound or two heavier than the scale says, and take my measurements every two weeks. That's been a better marker of my overall progress. It can get discouraging when it's slow, but...what can you do?
  • megansoriano
    Options
    As much as I know I shouldn't, I weigh myself every single morning, without fail. ;-) I don't let flucuations bother me, as I'm not totally set on a final number, but how I look and feel.

Anyway, Sunday morning I weighed myself and my scale told me I was down to 152.7.

If I took it seriously, I'd go crazy. I worked out HARD on Saturday and Sunday, and am feeling a lot of muscle soreness today, so I'm sure I'm holding some water. Oh and that scoop of ice cream I had last night was well earned! ;-)

lol when i glanced at this post I thought it said "flatulent" (haha). . . . I fluctuate about 3lb a day. :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not a clue... I don't see the point in weighing myself more than once a day - actually I think the best plan is to weigh in about once a month, then that would give me a sense of whether the scale is truly moving or whether its just another random fluctuation.
    Having said that - I usually weigh about once a week but I chart my weight loss by month and that's much more useful to show actual change.
  • megansoriano
    Options
    I weigh best in the AM after a good poo.

At night I weight a few lbs more.

haha!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    3-4 lbs difference between the morning and the evening.

I started out saying I was only going to weight once a week, but I weigh most days. I won't log a change either up or down unless the scale has said the same thing for at least 3 days in a row.

Now that I"m trying to maintain. (I'd really like to lose another couple of lbs to get down to my pre-accident weight, but Don't want to over reach to something I can't maintain and I am 15 years older now and I think it's unhealthy for me to be obsessed with a number. I'm trying hard to let it go, now that I'm well within the healthy range.)

Lately, I've been bouncing around in between 142 and 145 for what seems like forever.
    (Which to me seems like a good sign that it IS time to maintain.) But haven't held the same number for 3 or more days in a row, so I haven't logged anything for a long, long time.
  • tambamis
    tambamis Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Good job on not letting the fluctuation get to you - I'm OCD on the scale, to the point where my hubby said "would you stay off that thing, you're depressing me".

I've managed to not take that wretched number so seriously anymore, because weird thing - the scale hasn't budged for 6 months, but my pants and are starting to fall off my butt!
    YAY! keep workin' out!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    like 2-3 pounds! i shouldn't do it either but i totally step on the scale in the morning and afternoon.
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My weight can change about 2 to 5 pounds in a day, depending on my activity and what I eat...and of course that dread time of the month.
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Pretty much like everyone else... Usually about 2-3lbs heavier at night.
    Been up as much as 5 lbs at night if its a high sodium meal.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I do. I'm supposed to weigh-in tomorrow morning, but I did it tonight instead (at 10pm, after eating dinner, dessert, and lots of tea). I'm down 2 pounds from last week, and at my size I find it highly improbable that I'm down any more than that. I can confirm or retract this tomorrow morning! :)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate about 5-6 times a day. If I eat beans, or any other high-fiber food, I'll fluctuate all day! My wife hates it! I had a couple of Whoppers over the weekend, and my fluctuation was awful!