How do you make your sweet potato?

Options
So tonight was the first time I've tried the actual vegetable (not the desert type) I baked it in tin foil at 400 for about 50 mins then put half a tablespoon of agave and sprinkled cinnamon. It was really good but wanted more ideas of what I can put. Maybe honey? Pecans? How do you make yours?

Replies

• yudiks
    yudiks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bake it straight. It's sweet and moist enough after 30 minutes - 300 F of baking time. The best Sweet Potato for me is Hawaiian Sweet Potato (purple) and also Japanese/Korean Sweet Potato (orange).
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I bake it straight. It's sweet and moist enough after 30 minutes - 300 F of baking time. The best Sweet Potato for me is Hawaiian Sweet Potato (purple) and also Japanese/Korean Sweet Potato (orange).

Yeah I think I overbaked mine lol but it was still good!
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Oven roast with EVOO and a little salt and pepper. It is also good in stew.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I love them plain. I literally unwrap the tin-foil and eat it like a burrito! Yum!
  • vitahill
    vitahill Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to cube it and add some olive oil and cayenne pepper then roast in the oven.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Baked in the oven, cut into 6 pieces smother butter all over it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I bake then eat plain. Delicious.

Once in a blue I'll have a leftover one cold with cottage cheese
  • gem_angel
    Options
    poke it, microwave it, split open and top with warm black beans, low fat cheese, nonfat plain yogurt and salsa
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    gave up using tin foil for potatoes when I discovered that rubbing a little olive oil on them

before placing into a 325 degree oven to desired wellness makes the BEST tasting skin!

not to mention foil is toxic but if you must use it, take care to place the shiny side towards

the food...

thanks for the post!
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I either bake mine or peel and slice them to make little appetizers... I peel the potatoe and slice into 1/4" rounds. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet (I just mist mine with some olive oil). Sprinkle with a little salt and cayenne pepper. Roast in 400 deg. oven for 15 min or so, turning over once when they get brown.

Remove from oven, sprinkle with a pinch of low fat shredded cheddar jack cheese. Top with 1/4 tsp of sour cream and chopped chives.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    i like mine mashed with a dash of balsamic...
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I make oven roasted chips with them, Just spray them lightly with an olive oil spray before putting in a hot oven for about 20 minutes and then usually under the grill for a bit after to crisp up.
    Then i usually making a dipping sauce with low fat mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce and then sprinkle them with a little salt and dried rosemary.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I cut in half lengthwise and put them face down in a lightly oiled sheet pan. Bake until done. I like them plain. They are perfect without a bunch of unnecessary ingredients. Cooked this way the cut side gets all brown and caramelized. YUM
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Sweet potato wedges are excellent with chili powder and lime.

I also like them with ginger, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I cut in half lengthwise and put them face down in a lightly oiled sheet pan. Bake until done. I like them plain. They are perfect without a bunch of unnecessary ingredients. Cooked this way the cut side gets all brown and caramelized. YUM

I do exactly this. Best and easiest way.

Also, I bake sweet potato fries. Toss lightly with olive oil and salt and bake. I make a dip of half sour cream/half plain yogurt, touch of honey, and cinnamon...delicious!!
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    I just cut mine up and boiled it for like 20 minutes or so? I am not sure on the time... I just randomly did it. Drained and them mashed it up. I loved it.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Fork some holes in the potato and put it in the microwave for about 6-10 minutes, turning it over halfway through. Then I cut it in half lengthwise, sprinkle on lots of sea salt, and munch.

If I have a little more time, I also like to make sweet potato fries in the oven! I cut one sweet potato into thick wedges, spray with Pam or something, apply spices, and bake at around 400 til they're soft and lightly browned. Then I dunk those suckas in some ketchup! Delicious.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I nuke one since I'm short on time for about 3-4 min each side and add Kelly gold butter and some sea salt. You can also bake them in cubes and make a brown butter on the stove. I do this with butternut squash
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I boil mine or bake mine and mash with cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Sometimes I will add just a little bit of butter. So good, I could eat them every day!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/639

It's not actually sweet potato, but butternut squash made to taste like sweet potato casserole. It's perfect if you're counting calories, because, even with marshmallows, it's 110 calories for 2/3 cup and really tasty.