Meal Replacements

Options
is there anyone whose doing shakes.smoothies if so how is that working for you> does it keep you full? i startes with shakes and now my body is used to them and they no longer satisfy my appetite. so im giving them a break just to get out of routine.

Replies

• BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with whole foods - these shakes, pills, bars and powders are fine for those on the go, but whole foods are always best.
  • anniewinter
    Options
    How many shakes are you doing a day. I used to do 2 a day and ate fruit and water 3 times a day and Light DInner
  • ohnogogo
    ohnogogo Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't do pre-packaged shakes but make smoothies at home for breakfast a few times a week. The one I make keeps me full for a few hours just like any other breakfast would. Here is what I put in my smoothies:
    1 ripe banana
    1c frozen whole strawberries (no added sugars or syrups, just plain fruit)
    1/4c frozen rhubarb (no added sugars or syrups, just plain fruit)
    2 - 3 large kale leaves
    1.5c water
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have whey protein shakes all the time - I get the double choc whey protein powder, Greek natural yoghurt (1-2 tablespoons), ice, skim milk and blueberries and blend
    Very tasty :D
    I have this for breakfast and sometimes have shakes for lunch if I can't afford or can't be bothered getting food
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I don't do shakes but I do like to do smoothies for breakfast sometimes or for after workouts but I never use a drink to replace a meal. But if you were to do that, I wouldn't go with a shake. Do a smoothie where you can control what goes into it.
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My shakes for breakfast always fill me up..
    protein powder, banana, cocoa powder, peanutbutter, almond milk, baby spinach, & ice
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I make a protein smoothie for breakfast on workout days. I find the extra protein very helpful to my workouts. I add banana, peanut butter, and coffee to the shake. It is very filling and it gives me the pick me up I need. I'm good until lunch time with one of those.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I think that it's a misleading label... "meal replacement" There's nothing satisfying about them, they are NOT often low GI and sickly sweet giving you a sugar rush and not keeping you full. They can cause "blocking up" to be polite. They taste synthetic. You have to have quite a lot of milk normally with them. The vitamins and minerals aren't in a great form to be absorbed by the body.

I say forget them. But if you choose to use them, only use them for a a short and definitive amount of time.
  • antimuffinttop
    Options
    i love adding chia seeds to my smoothies, keeps me feeling fuller, plus has omegas and protein!
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    HMR 800
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I try to stick with whole foods - these shakes, pills, bars and powders are fine for those on the go, but whole foods are always best.

I agree!

I will occasionally have a shake or a Cliff Builder bar for breakfast if I need to have my breakfast in the car. But I prefer to eat a "real" meal!
  • jonnaloewe
    jonnaloewe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I might be partial because I'm a promoter but the Body By Vi shakes are amazing. Their protein is beyond any protein you can get in a store. You can also make the shakes any way you want to. The recipes are endless. Plus if you refer 3 people, you can get your shakes for free. Who doesn't like free? I've been able to take off that last 15 pounds that I struggle up and down with and maintain it for the last 8 months. I'm in my 40's and I'm finding it not easy at this age.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I drink shakes in the morning during th week because it makes for an easy breakfast at work. I started with pure protein, but recently tried glucerna hunger and found that I like them better although they are bit more expensive. On the weekends since I'm home, I'll eat greek yogurt and a bagel thin or english muffin.
  • Bheller234
    Options
    I normally only do a shake when i know that i need to eat something but have not appetite. Because i try to have 3 main meals a day and a small snack in between. I get to the point that i just don't feel hungry at all so a shake gets me at least close to the nutrition i would get from eating a meal and keeps me full until the next meal. It's easier to drink than to force yourself to eat.
  • SHINAS
    SHINAS Posts: 24
    Options
    i used to do 2 now since spring i only do 1 and thats breakfast.
  • SHINAS
    Options
    How many shakes are you doing a day. I used to do 2 a day and ate fruit and water 3 times a day and Light DInner

i used to do 2 now since spring i only do 1 and thats breakfast.
  • SHINAS
    Options
    I don't do pre-packaged shakes but make smoothies at home for breakfast a few times a week. The one I make keeps me full for a few hours just like any other breakfast would. Here is what I put in my smoothies:
    1 ripe banana
    1c frozen whole strawberries (no added sugars or syrups, just plain fruit)
    1/4c frozen rhubarb (no added sugars or syrups, just plain fruit)
    2 - 3 large kale leaves
    1.5c water

i made my own as well but with some whey protein with mixed frozen fruit and sometimes addes different things to switch up the flavor
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I prefer to chew my food. My satiety is at risk by drinking my calories.
  • fitcounselor
    fitcounselor Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think that it's a misleading label... "meal replacement" There's nothing satisfying about them, they are NOT often low GI and sickly sweet giving you a sugar rush and not keeping you full. They can cause "blocking up" to be polite. They taste synthetic. You have to have quite a lot of milk normally with them. The vitamins and minerals aren't in a great form to be absorbed by the body.

I say forget them. But if you choose to use them, only use them for a a short and definitive amount of time.

I use a meal replacement but it is much more. Shakeology, which is a meal replacement and have used it just about every day for roughly two years. It is a meal replacement with exactly what you described. They're satisfying and only 24 on the GI index. I think it depends on what you want to get out of them. If you are looking for a quick fix shake, I'd agree with what you said (for the most part) but ShakeO is definitely a game changer. I became a distributor because I love them but there is no better health shake meal replacement on the market. If you want more info, feel free to google it (or check it out on food facts) and get back to me.
  • MrsGreen1985
    MrsGreen1985 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to have shakes twice a day and a light evening meal and water through out the day. I started gaining up to 5lbs PER DAY.