How did you decide on your goal weight?

Options
Im now in a healthy weight range for my size but still not happy with how I look.

How did you decide on your goal weight? Or when did you shift to start focusing more on bf % rather than weight?

Replies

• christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well I am a long ways away from my goal weight but I chose it based on BMI, a healthy BMI for me would put me around 140 pounds.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I choose 140lb as that put me in the middle of healthly range BMI and I also wanted to fit and look good in a UK size 12. Im 142lb at the mo and fit in uk 12 (I did at 145 ish) so Im pretty happy but getting to my goal would be nice too. x
  • Katerbuggs
    Options
    I just picked a number in the middle of my ideal BMI range. As I get closer to that number, I'll probably adjust to a more specific goal with muscle toning and all that. =)
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    I picked a number 10 pounds under my highest healthy BMI. I figure with my large frame, it will be difficult to get to that point, but not unattainable. The lowest I've ever been (since high school) is 35 pounds heavier than that.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I simply set my goals based on what some peak conditioned MMA competitors weighed in for my height.

I did not merely want to drop weight but reach peak condition - a perfect physique.
    And that meant going from 46 inches in the waist down to 32"
    I am at 36 now - ALMOST THERE!

People who have not seen in in a while come up and marvel.
    That feels good, but I won't cease the program until I reach all my goals.

Great Topic!
  • chimebird
    chimebird Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't a great tool for calculating overall health but it's pretty useful for targeting a goal weight. I started with a goal at the higher end of my healthy BMI range. I've met that goal and now my target is in the middle of the healthy BMI range. Maybe I'll set a new goal or maybe I'll push a little lower but I'll decide when I get there.

If you're in a healthy BMI range and not happy with how you look, if I were you I'd focus on toning muscles. Keep your weight loss goals around 5-10 pounds and make more small adjustments when you reach your goals. It's easy to be overly critical with yourself at this stage so be kind to yourself if you're frustrated and always keep things in perspective :)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I chose the middle of my healthy weight on the BMI scale.
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I started with 160, which pushed me out of overweight on BMI. When I was approaching that, I looked online for "ideal" weight for someone my height, gender, and build. I ended up using this site:

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

to calculate an ideal range and reset my goals using that.
  • wcsangel
    Options
    Mine has changed a couple of times in the process - mainly because I'm not very good at delaying my gratification. I'm getting better, but it really helps to have small goal that I can reach within a couple of months.

First, I just wanted to get my BMI back into the "Normal" range - which only required me to lose about 7 pounds. That may seem like nothing to some people, but I've never tried losing weight before.

When that came off, I was 140 pounds. I set myself to losing another 14 (126). Now I'm aiming for 119 pounds, which puts me firmly on the lower end of Normal. I'm also aiming to stay in my size 10 jeans and size 12 tops, which is the most important thing.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yeah never had a goal weight. Cept when trying to gain muscle. then its normally a weight gain target, haha.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Eh goal is body fat% and muscle definition. Once I get to that weight i will go back to gaining to try and put on some muscle xD never ending up and down :]
  • jmgcummins
    jmgcummins Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I know at 150 I still wanted to lose a few pounds, and at 130 I felt I looked too skinny, so I picked something right in the middle (140). I'm 8 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight of 150. (I was trying to lose those 10 pounds when I got pregnant).
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I picked the weight I was when I got married 7 years ago and the weight I was after I had my third child almost 2 years ago. That weight would get me back into the jeans I haven't been able to wear for about a year and to a point where I am pretty thin. I still have more room in my healthy BMI range (I am at the very top range of it now and my goal would put me around the middle). I'll re-evaluate when I get there and see if I will go lower. I may go another 5 pounds if I don't look too skinny. I am almost 6 feet tall and fairly small framed so I don't want to go too far. Really I'd be happy at my goal weight and toned/muscle.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I picked the BMI value for my height. I'm not hard set on it; I'll see what's what when I'm close. I'll probably get my body fat measured at that time and start going off that.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My first GW was 125 but I stopped at 128. 125 lbs was a totally random number! I feel good now and I want to focus on getting fitter rather than getting skinnier.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I just piked a number that sounded good, BMI is a suckish measure of what a "healthy" weight is, especially for people with muscle (not me yet) but those people, lol
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It was 2 fold for me. Used the calcs & BMI type thing as a guide but moreso I know what weight I was out of Rookies when I joined the Air Force 20yrs ago. I am that weight now & yeh I am by no means the same shape LOL So I really know it's not weight it's body comp that's my challenge now if I really want the "look".
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i am 5'8", currently at 145 lbs. my goal weight is 135 - 139 only because this was the range where i was most comfortable with my body and the way i looked.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I started with 160, which pushed me out of overweight on BMI. When I was approaching that, I looked online for "ideal" weight for someone my height, gender, and build. I ended up using this site:

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

to calculate an ideal range and reset my goals using that.

This is a good site to look at. It is more realistic than most.
  • fitnoflab
    Options
    Good question. I feel like I just picked my weight randomly. I'm 5'3" and just remember that 120 was my weight for years, before the pounds started creeping up. Have not taken into account I was not really working out then. So with muscle I may end up weighing more but be smaller than I was then. I'll wait and adjust if need be. But I think it is an attainable goal... Silly, but I like the idea of reaching that number on the scale. I'm not married to that number but at the moment I'm kinda engaged to that number as a goal:)