Maximum Heart Rate

Options

Replies

• aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options

Um, if that was the case, why is it the average swimmer of the English channel will burn 14lbs of pure fat during the trip? Fat is absolutely utilized during exercise, unless I'm missing what you're saying.

In your example of swimming the English Channel, swimmers DO burn pounds of fat during their 10+ hours swim; however, they burn all of their glycogen stores first. It is not until 5-7 hours into the swim that the body runs out of glycogen and resorts to burning its fat. See this link-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2160968.stm

So, I did not intend to insult anyone; however, purposely exercising at a lower intensity just because you think you will burn more fat just doesn't play out in reality. I think this is why so many people quit exercising, thinking they're doing all this work and not getting any results.

Get out of your comfort zone, people! Your body will thank you!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

Um, if that was the case, why is it the average swimmer of the English channel will burn 14lbs of pure fat during the trip? Fat is absolutely utilized during exercise, unless I'm missing what you're saying.

In your example of swimming the English Channel, swimmers DO burn pounds of fat during their 10+ hours swim; however, they burn all of their glycogen stores first. It is not until 5-7 hours into the swim that the body runs out of glycogen and resorts to burning its fat. See this link-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2160968.stm

So, I did not intend to insult anyone; however, purposely exercising at a lower intensity just because you think you will burn more fat just doesn't play out in reality. I think this is why so many people quit exercising, thinking they're doing all this work and not getting any results.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that a number of people here are here with medical conditions, and what works for you may be quite dangerous for others (someone with a heart condition or who is prone to strokes should never have their heart rate raised that high without the supervision of a doctor IMHO).

Further, when you train that hard you are most likely going to cross the lactic threshold, which will help.... if you want to be a sprinter or build muscle mass. For people who are trying to build endurance and burn fat, I must firmly disagree. Sure you could burn a lot of calories for 10 minutes, but you'll burn a lot more if you're able to keep the exercise going for an hour. Also depending on how long you maintain that intensity will also change the muscle composition.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Amen!

You can go for HOURS in your so-called "fat burning zone" but who actually does work out for hours? Most people probably spend about an hour working out. So ramp up the intensity (interval work) and you'll see results more quickly.

It ain't supposed to hurt but it ain't supposed to feel good either....at least that's they way I look at it.
    The feelin' good comes after the workout.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Um, what? Who Where? Someone called me?

Oh, ok, I just read through the whole thing. Um AWTY, first, if you REAAAAAALLLYYY want to know your maximum heart rate, pop by the doctor, they should be able to put you on their machine and test you. the 220 - age thing is just a very rough estimate assuming you are average in just about every way. So it's a guideline, not a rule.

For example: my wife is 37 and wears an HRM, it tells her, for instance, during spinning that she's averaging 92% MHR (Max Heart Rate) for the hour class, which she obviously isn't or she would collapse dead :tongue: . What it's telling her is that she is working at what WOULD be her max heart rate if she were an average athlete with utterly average body function. She isn't so it's wrong, but if you weren't knowledgeable about this stuff, that could be a scarey number to see.

As to the fat burning zone thing. Ugh, I hate that term. But anyway. It's a ramp up process, as we work at a higher and higher heart rate, the body requires more and more energy faster and faster. Unfortunately, stored fat cannot be delivered to muscles fast enough, nor can it be converted to glycogen fast enough to re-supply our muscles when they are at the anaerobic threshold (for most that means about 82 to 88% of Max Heart Rate ).

So as we ramp up exercise and the heart rate approaches the anaerobic threshold , the percentage of energy for those muscles coming from stored glycogen goes up and up, and when the muscles run out of glycogen (called technical failure), we are unable to work for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. You know what I mean, the point where you just can't lift that bench press bar up one more time, or when you just can't do that one more pull up, that's technical failure.

What does all this have to do with fat % burned? Well, at lower levels, the body doesn't need AS MUCH energy, so it deems itself capable of converting stored fat to energy fast enough, so it uses more fat. At higher levels, the body deems itself not able to replenish energy with fat stores, so it opens up the "flood gates" of glycogen, which means less fat used.

Why I think this is a flawed and outdated notion though, isn't because of the above paragraph, it's what happens after. When the energy is depleted, it needs to be recovered, somehow. Part of that will be from the food we have eaten, but part will come from stored fat as well, so while during the exercise, we burn a higher fat % at lower levels; at higher levels, where we approach anaerobic activity, the body needs hours post exercise to replenish it's stored glycogen levels, which means a raised metabolic rate at that time (heat and hormones are needed to break down fat to glucose).

The added benefit to higher intensity activity is increased health. When we work our body close to or to failure, the body compensates by adding muscle, and lung capacity (among other things), thus allowing us to work in that higher zone for longer periods, and burn more calories for longer periods.
    The downfall of higher intensity is the possibility for injury or other health problems.

Side note, this is why people who have never worked out or are really obese and work out lightly still see massive body changes in the beginning. Because when you are at that level, almost ANY workout is anaerobic, and the body reacts the same way it would if you were in good shape and working out at a very intense level. Sadly it doesn't stay this way, as our muscles develop, we need to do harder and harder work to get them to the "next level".
  • jtintx
    Options
    This was posted by Azdak on another thread but pertains to what we are talking about:

...it doesn't make any difference. Any "fat" that you do consume during exercise is not coming from stored body fat (i.e. the visible "bulges" you see). Fuel substrates used during exercise and overall body composition changes are two different processes.

Banks...do you know what he is referring to? If we aren't burning stored body fat what are we burning?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    This was posted by Azdak on another thread but pertains to what we are talking about:

...it doesn't make any difference. Any "fat" that you do consume during exercise is not coming from stored body fat (i.e. the visible "bulges" you see). Fuel substrates used during exercise and overall body composition changes are two different processes.

Banks...do you know what he is referring to? If we aren't burning stored body fat what are we burning?

No idea. Never, ever read that in any of the (feels like 10 thousand) medical studies I have read on the human metabolism.

When we run out of glycogen (or the body perceives the need for extra energy like when we exercise) the body uses the process called liposys to turn body fat into fatty acids and glycol which is then transported to the cells needing fuel or to the liver for processing. It starts this process well before we run out of glycogen though, it starts the minute the level of energy needed exceeds the amount of normal energy consumed.

Edited for sounding harsher then I meant to when I was writing. sorry for that.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    arewethereyet- I think this whole "fat-burning zone" thing is cr*p!!!! The harder you work yourself, the more calories you will burn!. Period. While the percentage of those calories taken from fat sources versus glycogen stores may be greater in the lower heart rate ranges, since you are burning more calories in a shorter time at the higher heart rates, you actually burn more fat over time!!! This was a huge discovery for me! And it has paid good dividends!:bigsmile: I have learned that I need to push myself and keep my heart rate in my cardiovascular zone for long periods to get real changes. AND I am more cardiovascularly fit now!!!!:drinker:

Hope this helps!!

Actually, it really isn't cr*p. Your body burns different fuel sources depending on the intensity of the exercise. That's why long distance runners often can't sprint for crap - same muscles but of different compositions, burning different fuel sources.

Basically the closer you get to your max heart rate, the less calories come from fat and more come from glycogen. You are burning calories, but at the wrong place. Both will however increase your cardiovascular fitness though.

Here's a good break down:
    http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html

Yes, it IS cr*p. Fuel substrate utilized during exercise has NO effect on stored body fat. It's two completely different processes.

I read the story and it pretty much confirms what I know. Swimming the EC is a completely different activity than something the average person is going to face during exercise. I was a little abrupt in my response because I have been fighting this stuff for 25 years and it is frustrating to see it come up over and over again. And it is frustrating to see people follow poorer quality workout routines based on false information.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    arewethereyet- I think this whole "fat-burning zone" thing is cr*p!!!! The harder you work yourself, the more calories you will burn!. Period. While the percentage of those calories taken from fat sources versus glycogen stores may be greater in the lower heart rate ranges, since you are burning more calories in a shorter time at the higher heart rates, you actually burn more fat over time!!! This was a huge discovery for me! And it has paid good dividends!:bigsmile: I have learned that I need to push myself and keep my heart rate in my cardiovascular zone for long periods to get real changes. AND I am more cardiovascularly fit now!!!!:drinker:

Hope this helps!!

Actually, it really isn't cr*p. Your body burns different fuel sources depending on the intensity of the exercise. That's why long distance runners often can't sprint for crap - same muscles but of different compositions, burning different fuel sources.

Basically the closer you get to your max heart rate, the less calories come from fat and more come from glycogen. You are burning calories, but at the wrong place. Both will however increase your cardiovascular fitness though.

Here's a good break down:
    http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html

Yes, it IS cr*p. Fuel substrate utilized during exercise has NO effect on stored body fat. It's two completely different processes.

I read the story and it pretty much confirms what I know. Swimming the EC is a completely different activity than something the average person is going to face during exercise. I was a little abrupt in my response because I have been fighting this stuff for 25 years and it is frustrating to see it come up over and over again. And it is frustrating to see people follow poorer quality workout routines based on false information.

Well...today is my Birthday and I get what I want.

What I wanted was different opinions, and that I got!!

Thank you one and all for your different view points. I really appreciate them all!!

I think what I have gotten from all of this is I need to vary my workout, I need to work harder (durn it:angry: ) , not listen so closely to a number written somewhere.

I need to enjoy lower level long burns as well as high intensity killing myself modes.

I was really surprised at the 190 BPM! I know in the beginning if I had done that it would have been on the local news.........KABOOM.....

So I will take it that I am getting healthier, the old ticker is pumping the way it should and now it is teasing me to do more~
  • Azdak
    Options

No idea what Azdak was talking about, and no idea where that little morsel came from. Never, ever read that in any of the (feels like 10 thousand) medical studies I have read on the human metabolism.

When we run out of glycogen (or the body perceives the need for extra energy like when we exercise) the body uses the process called liposys to turn body fat into fatty acids and glycol which is then transported to the cells needing fuel or to the liver for processing. It starts this process well before we run out of glycogen though, it starts the minute the level of energy needed exceeds the amount of normal energy consumed.

We are referring to different things. There is more than enough energy readily available in the way of circulating glucose, triglycerides, amino acids, stored muscle glycogen and stored triglycerides in the muscles themselves to fuel the average exercise workout. The body never gets to the point where it mobilizes stored adipose tissue. Unfortunately, due to several moves and computer changes, I no longer have the individual studies to cite--I thought we had put this subject to bed about 15 years ago.

So, yes, fats are utilized as a fuel substrate during exercise. And they obviously are the preferred substrate during endurance exercise since they produce almost 3x the ATP per equal amount of glucose. But you are not burning the fat off your *kitten* during the workout itself (unless you are swimming the english channel).

I fight against the "fat burning" concept partly because it is wrong, but mostly because I see it as an unnecessary distraction. The optimal fitness routine is one that is going to combine weight loss and improve fitness, that includes a variety of workouts. That means endurance workouts, cross training workouts, interval workouts, higher intensity workouts, etc--all, of course, relevant to the individual's fitness level, health, etc. That will result in not only weight loss, but improved fitness and health as well--which then allows the person to engage in higher-quality workouts and which leads to: greater weight loss and greater improvement in health and fitness. All too often, I hear from people who are drudging through mediocre, boring workouts because some "expert" told them they had to stay in the "fat burning" zone.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

So, yes, fats are utilized as a fuel substrate during exercise. And they obviously are the preferred substrate during endurance exercise since they produce almost 3x the ATP per equal amount of glucose. But you are not burning the fat off your *kitten* during the workout itself (unless you are swimming the english channel).

I cut out the part I disagree with. Humans do, in fact, break down adipose (body) fat during exercise. The degree of which is determined by our body, and to a degree, how fit we are, but it happens during exercise for all humans.

I'll cite the following study as my main source, but I have others (I'd need to find them again).

http://tinyurl.com/dn9a5j

In general I agree that we need to do more then just moderate activity, but to say that exercise doesn't burn body fat at all is wrong, even in routines that don't completely deplete glycogen stores.

I'll quote part of the study's findings:

"Mild- or moderate-intensity exercise [25–65% of maximal oxygen consumption (O2max)] is associated with a 5–10-fold increase in fat oxidation above resting amounts (3) because of increased energy requirements of muscle and enhanced fatty acid availability. A large portion of the increased supply of fatty acids is provided by lipolysis of adipose tissue triacylglycerols,"
  • Azdak
    Options

Oh, ok, I just read through the whole thing. Um AWTY, first, if you REAAAAAALLLYYY want to know your maximum heart rate, pop by the doctor, they should be able to put you on their machine and test you. the 220 - age thing is just a very rough estimate assuming you are average in just about every way. So it's a guideline, not a rule.

For example: my wife is 37 and wears an HRM, it tells her, for instance, during spinning that she's averaging 92% MHR (Max Heart Rate) for the hour class, which she obviously isn't or she would collapse dead :tongue: . What it's telling her is that she is working at what WOULD be her max heart rate if she were an average athlete with utterly average body function. She isn't so it's wrong, but if you weren't knowledgeable about this stuff, that could be a scarey number to see.

As to the fat burning zone thing. Ugh, I hate that term. But anyway. It's a ramp up process, as we work at a higher and higher heart rate, the body requires more and more energy faster and faster. Unfortunately, stored fat cannot be delivered to muscles fast enough, nor can it be converted to glycogen fast enough to re-supply our muscles when they are at the anaerobic threshold (for most that means about 82 to 88% of Max Heart Rate ).

So as we ramp up exercise and the heart rate approaches the anaerobic threshold , the percentage of energy for those muscles coming from stored glycogen goes up and up, and when the muscles run out of glycogen (called technical failure), we are unable to work for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. You know what I mean, the point where you just can't lift that bench press bar up one more time, or when you just can't do that one more pull up, that's technical failure.

What does all this have to do with fat % burned? Well, at lower levels, the body doesn't need AS MUCH energy, so it deems itself capable of converting stored fat to energy fast enough, so it uses more fat. At higher levels, the body deems itself not able to replenish energy with fat stores, so it opens up the "flood gates" of glycogen, which means less fat used.

Why I think this is a flawed and outdated notion though, isn't because of the above paragraph, it's what happens after. When the energy is depleted, it needs to be recovered, somehow. Part of that will be from the food we have eaten, but part will come from stored fat as well, so while during the exercise, we burn a higher fat % at lower levels; at higher levels, where we approach anaerobic activity, the body needs hours post exercise to replenish it's stored glycogen levels, which means a raised metabolic rate at that time (heat and hormones are needed to break down fat to glucose).

The added benefit to higher intensity activity is increased health. When we work our body close to or to failure, the body compensates by adding muscle, and lung capacity (among other things), thus allowing us to work in that higher zone for longer periods, and burn more calories for longer periods.
    The downfall of higher intensity is the possibility for injury or other health problems.

Side note, this is why people who have never worked out or are really obese and work out lightly still see massive body changes in the beginning. Because when you are at that level, almost ANY workout is anaerobic, and the body reacts the same way it would if you were in good shape and working out at a very intense level. Sadly it doesn't stay this way, as our muscles develop, we need to do harder and harder work to get them to the "next level".

I have some minor quibbles with your terms and descriptions, but, for the purposes of this group, we are essentially saying the same thing.
  • jtintx
    Options
    Really, I'm not trying to pour fuel on the fire but I don't think you are saying the same thing at all.

Azdak, you seem to be saying that you aren't burning stored body fat unless doing extemely long endurance work, ie. swimming the EC. And Banks seems to be saying that yes, we do burn stored fat even during moderate exercise although at a lesser amount.

"So, yes, fats are utilized as a fuel substrate during exercise." Doesn't this contradict what you said?

Sorry if I appear stupid to you and should have known this 15 years ago...but I don't. But I am trying to gain knowledge on how this all works.

All I know is I lost a lot of body fat....so where did it go? And how?
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Thank you!!! That makes so much more sense. My HRM tells me I'm at 90%+- when I'm on my elliptical, but I feel closer to 80% - and if I go at a lower pace, I feel like I might as well be sitting :grumble: . I'm glad to hear that working out at a higher rate is still going to burn fat (in the long run) because I can't stand to go that slow anymore. It was driving me crazy!!:bigsmile:
  • Azdak
    Options
    Really, I'm not trying to pour fuel on the fire but I don't think you are saying the same thing at all.

Azdak, you seem to be saying that you aren't burning stored body fat unless doing extemely long endurance work, ie. swimming the EC. And Banks seems to be saying that yes, we do burn stored fat even during moderate exercise although at a lesser amount.

"So, yes, fats are utilized as a fuel substrate during exercise." Doesn't this contradict what you said?

Sorry if I appear stupid to you and should have known this 15 years ago...but I don't. But I am trying to gain knowledge on how this all works.

I think the difference is more semantics--and differing emphasis on what it actually means to "burn stored body fat". In the average 30-60 min cardio session, carried out by the average exerciser, the amount of actual "fat" consumed is going to be minimal--and 50% of that "minimal" amount is going to come from triglycerides already stored in the muscle cells. Now, you may consider that "stored body fat", but for the purpose of discussion, I am not.

So I should have been more precise with my terms. As Banks and I both agree, most of the actual "fat loss" takes place in the 23 hours you aren't exercising, and is greatly influenced by diet.

The process of metabolism is complex and affected my many different factors, which gets back to my original point which is that "fat burning" should not be the primary focus of your exercise training program. Increasing fitness and endurance, preventing injury, avoiding staleness, introducing variety, and following focused workouts will do a lot more for your health, fitness, AND weight loss.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    One thing I've found interesting, and I think I've told you this before Jeannie, is that your max heart rate doesn't change with age... Here's a link I found just doing a quick search on google... There's probably more medically informative links, but this one was quick and easy... lol

http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm

By the way, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Jeannie, Happy Birthday to you!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I think the difference is more semantics--and differing emphasis on what it actually means to "burn stored body fat". In the average 30-60 min cardio session, carried out by the average exerciser, the amount of actual "fat" consumed is going to be minimal--and 50% of that "minimal" amount is going to come from triglycerides already stored in the muscle cells. Now, you may consider that "stored body fat", but for the purpose of discussion, I am not.

So I should have been more precise with my terms. As Banks and I both agree, most of the actual "fat loss" takes place in the 23 hours you aren't exercising, and is greatly influenced by diet.

The process of metabolism is complex and affected my many different factors, which gets back to my original point which is that "fat burning" should not be the primary focus of your exercise training program. Increasing fitness and endurance, preventing injury, avoiding staleness, introducing variety, and following focused workouts will do a lot more for your health, fitness, AND weight loss.

Now this, I can get behind! I completely agree. I'll even add that, as most experts say, the majority of your weight loss is going to come from a healthy, reduced calorie diet, NOT from exercise. Exercise will help make you healthier, and will also help your muscle to fat ratio, but exercise is kind of like the extra added bump, not the primary reason. With the obvious exception of people like marathoners or others who train for 4 to 8 hours a day at a relatively high levels (I.E. total depletion of glycogen).
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    One thing I've found interesting, and I think I've told you this before Jeannie, is that your max heart rate doesn't change with age... Here's a link I found just doing a quick search on google... There's probably more medically informative links, but this one was quick and easy... lol

http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm

By the way, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Jeannie, Happy Birthday to you!

I forgot about that!! Thanks for the reminder...........and the Happy Bday!! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    this turned out to be a great, informative thread. I am saving for future bumping!!

:flowerforyou:
  • pegm
    pegm Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Ugg... this is where I'm at now, having to increase my efforts to get results. But, hey, if it were easy... everyone would be svelte!
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options

Ugg... this is where I'm at now, having to increase my efforts to get results. But, hey, if it were easy... everyone would be svelte!

I have to do this also. I used to only do fast walking on an incline on the treadmill for 30 minutes, and now I have to do it for 40 minutes to burn the same amount of calories. I am trying to change my routine, and it seems to help, but I still have to work harder or longer to get the same results.