Fat Free, Sugar Free, etc.

Hi:

Just wondering how many people still eat FF/SF or just go for the real thing. I have been reading that the FF/SF are filled with chemicals to replce the fat and sugar that is taken out, and that the full fat/sugar option may actually be healthier, in moderation of course. For example, if i go to Starbucks I get a "skinny" vanilla latte which is FF/SF because I would feel guilty having all the calories, and sugar that come in a regular latte. (Or should I just skip these? I get them about once a week.) I am not overly concerend with fat as much as sugar and calories and usually go middle of the road with light or reduced fat. Just wanted to get people's opinions on this and which one really is healthier. Thanks!

Replies

• To me it depends on the food item we are talking about. The FF/SF Starbucks once a week would be completely fine! Sometimes I like sugar free jello, fat free mayo, fat free milk, and products like that. Lets me still have flavor that i like with little calories :]

Fat free cheese, low fat peanut butter, and splenda in my baked goods? No thanks! gross xD
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    i'm really not into the whole fake sugar thing. I simply don't understand what is wrong with pure cane sugar.

As for fat, it is most certainly good for you. Especially in the form of cheese.
  • lindseyb317
    lindseyb317 Posts: 56 Member
    most starbucks in particular use splenda in their ff/sf syrups. a "skinny" latte at SB just means they use the splenda syrup, non fat milk, and whipped cream.
    splenda gives me migraines, so i just get a normal drink with non fat milk and no whip. this eliminates alot of calories. the full fat/sugar syrup is my treat to myself :)
    i personally dont eat anything with artificial sweeteners and stay away from as much processed food as possible, but its truly your decision.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,900 Member
    If I know I will have plenty of calories to use (through exercising) I go full fat, still low sugar or sugar free though.
    If I didn't do much exercise then I will go low fat only because of the calories. I use the calories used as a bank. If I have plenty of calories in my calorie bank then I can eat plenty of calories, if not then I just don't have them to spend them and will have to go with a cheaper option (low and reduced fat).
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    most starbucks in particular use splenda in their ff/sf syrups. a "skinny" latte at SB just means they use the splenda syrup, non fat milk, and whipped cream.
    splenda gives me migraines, so i just get a normal drink with non fat milk and no whip. this eliminates alot of calories. the full fat/sugar syrup is my treat to myself :)
    i personally dont eat anything with artificial sweeteners and stay away from as much processed food as possible, but its truly your decision.
    Not sure if that was a typo, but there is no whipped cream on a skinny :smile: Also remember another option when using the syrups, you can ask for 'half sweet' so they use half the pumps of syrup than they normally would. For instance, in a Pumpkin Spice latte, I'll have it with only 2 pumps of the pumpkin sauce(instead of 4 in a grande) and with no whip, non-fat milk...only 200 cals vs. 260 for the one with all 4 pumps. It still tastes plenty pumpkin-y. :bigsmile:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    I prefer to eat "clean" which total eliminates the debate. No processed food means no added sugar/fat/etc. If you go to starbucks get a skim or soy latte (they use organic soy milk YAY!) and sweeten it with raw sugar or honey. If it's the vanilla flavor you like try their vanilla rooibos tea - it's delicious! Use olive oil + balsamic vinegar + seasonings on salads = no dressing (sketchy ingredients/sugar/fat/etc). Use avocado on a sandwich instead of mayo, good fat plus nutrients. Low fat sweet treats? Replace butter/oil in baking with unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana. Natural sugar, more fiber, less fat. Little things like that go a long way.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    I'm another person who rarely eats these "diet" foods - fake sugar makes me sick and so I'd rather use real sugar or honey...

I do eat lower fat yogurt and cottage cheese, but usually those are made with skim milk instead of whole milk - and since I can't drink whole milk anyway, it's an easy sub for me.

I also don't eat mayo or a lot of butter - I'd rather use olive oil or avocados or other ways to season food.

Plus, I find it a little weird that some things are SO low (or 0) calories - I mean that's a feat of food science and I like my food to be from nature, not a lab.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Real > fake
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Interesting fact: Items can be labeled "fat free" so long as there is less than .5 grams of fat per serving.

Generic Fat Free Cookies
    20 per box
    serving size: 1 cookie
    potential fat in box: right around 10 grams

Have to read the ingredients!

6921816.png
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    I prefer to reach for Sugar free because that's how I grew up. My dad was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 2 years old.
    There are several things I can't stand with regular sugar because I never had it and it tastes weird to have it now. The most notables being pancake syrup, kool-aid, jelly/jam and jello/pudding.
  • Rilke
    I prefer to reach for Sugar free because that's how I grew up. My dad was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 2 years old.
    There are several things I can't stand with regular sugar because I never had it and it tastes weird to have it now. The most notables being pancake syrup, kool-aid, jelly/jam and jello/pudding.

But those are all fake foods anyway. Have you ever had real maple syrup? Homemade fruit preserves?
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    I perfer full fat and real sugar. I gave up Dr.Peppers years ago because they started sweetening it with HFCS. I don't go over board with the sugar but when I do have it , its the real deal.

Low fat/fat free makes me cranky :grumble:
  • I prefer to reach for Sugar free because that's how I grew up. My dad was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 2 years old.

But those are all fake foods anyway. Have you ever had real maple syrup? Homemade fruit preserves?

Real maple syrup = 210 calories SF syrup = 20
    fake stuff can be better for some when counting calories. I use SF syrup occasionally
  • I use a little of both (fake and real sweeteners). I don't do many of the low fat stuff except dairy products. I do full fat peanut butter, almond butter, etc. I will use a little artificial sweetener in a shake if it's a little too tart, and I sometimes mix in a little artificial sweetener in my plain Greek yogurt; I'm more likely to mix in agave nectar though. I've also mostly weaned myself off of splenda and started to use Stevia.
  • I go Fat free once in a while. Depends on what it is. I stick with low fat (preference). I just make sure it fits into my macros.

Sugar free: I use here and there. Stevia and Agave Nectar are natural sweeteners if one is not interested in Splenda for whatever reason. Although it has been shown to be perfectly safe. Personally, I avoid sugar as much as I can. Post workout and first thing in the morning are the only times I take in simple carbs.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    If you make all your own food you really don't have to worry about these things.
  • Rilke

fake stuff can be better for some when counting calories. I use SF syrup occasionally

I respectfully disagree. For long term health, it is better to fit less of the real thing into your calorie allotment, rather than using fake stuff to be able to eat more.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Most of the time fat free means it's full of sugar to make up for it. And it doesn't have to truly be FF/SF to be labelled that.

I honestly prefer just the real stuff. I don't like choosing that stuff because it's usually full of extra crap to make up for it and that's not necessarily better then.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Ugh, double post.
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member

I respectfully disagree. For long term health, it is better to fit less of the real thing into your calorie allotment, rather than using fake stuff to be able to eat more.

Thanks, but I'll stick with not being diabetic for a while longer :)