Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• willaful
    willaful Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat the plain Trader Joes brand or Fage. I blend it with a piece of fruit for an after exercise smoothie. Peaches and pluots are especialy nice, but apples work too.

I no longer eat this, but if you do artificial sweeteners, mixing greek yogurt with sugar-free pudding mix reduces the carb count considerably from making it with milk and tastes pretty good.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    voscos is my favorite
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Oikos with blueberries. Very delicious.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Lots of ideas here...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/414297-greek-yogurt

My favorite:

Fage Total 0% - no fat, no sugar - then I dress it up myself! Easy breakfast is this yogurt, 1 envelope Stevia-In-The-Raw, and fresh berries - yum! Here's some other things I make with my Fage:

My "chocolate mousse" substitute:

6 oz Greek yogurt - Fage Total 0%
    1 packet Stevia-In-The-Raw
    1-2 DROPS Vanilla Extract
    1 DROP Almond Extract
    1-2 teaspoons plain Cocoa

This makes a smooth, creamy, chocolaty dessert that reminds me of a thick, rich chocolate mousse. Delish!

My "peach cobbler" substitute:

6 oz Greek Yogurt
    1 DROP Almond Extract
    Small sprinkling of Apple Pie Spice
    Spoonful of Simply Fruit Peach Jelly

It's all YUM!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% with tropical fruits is delicious! Or just plain Fage and add berries.
  • howajett
    Options
    Great idea about substituting for sour cream - thx!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I am not a yogurt fan, but I just got Chobani Champions (it's supposed to be for kids, I guess) in honey-nana flavor and it wasn't bad! They come in 100 calorie portions. It's not my favorite thing in the world, but as far as yogurt goes it's alright.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    fage 2% for me with honey. I generally use about half of the honey that is provided in the little cup. It is delicious and filling. I normally have it for breakfast when I'm in a hurry. I actually just ran out yesterday. Tragedy! I'll have to run to the store soon.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have had Chobani low fat - it is OK but too sweet! Yogurt should be tart. It has just come out here in Australia.

Tamar Valley runs rings around Chobani. Same with Jalna. But they are Australian brands, so good luck getting them outside of AU.
  • lexibelk
    lexibelk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Lots of ideas here...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/414297-greek-yogurt

My favorite:

Fage Total 0% - no fat, no sugar - then I dress it up myself! Easy breakfast is this yogurt, 1 envelope Stevia-In-The-Raw, and fresh berries - yum! Here's some other things I make with my Fage:

My "chocolate mousse" substitute:

6 oz Greek yogurt - Fage Total 0%
    1 DROP Almond Extract
    1-2 teaspoons plain Cocoa

This makes a smooth, creamy, chocolaty dessert that reminds me of a thick, rich chocolate mousse. Delish!

That sounds AHHHMAZING!
  • IzzyandBri_mommy
    Options
    WOW! Thank you guys! I tried the Oikos with fruit on the bottom and it is AMAZING! I love it. I will have to try the other brands.
    also thanks for the fix it ideas!
    Y"all rock!
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I like pretty much all of them, but you should be aware that the tastier ones have a lot of fat. Ha. But really, check the label.

I eat Dannon Oikos regularly. It has 0 fat and good protein. You can get it plain, with honey, or fruit on the bottom.

Fat and/or sugar!
    Most of the fruit/honey flavors are full of sugar. Some have no fat, though.

I use Lilberte plain 0% fat and has about 2-3 g of sugar per serving compared to 10-21g to the one with fruits in it. Not sure if it's available outside Canada though.

I put some cinnamon in it and I think it's yummy, but most people do not seem to enjoy plain greek yogurt, though :P
    Also has around 15g of protein which is great.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    Chobani is good. I also like Fage plain with a tablespoon of honey.
  • DLPanther
    DLPanther Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The first one I ever tried was the Oikos Honey and I loved it! I bought some of the Safeway brand Open Nature, and it wasn't very good. It didn't have any of the creaminess or unique flavor of being Greek style. So I suppose if you don't really like Greek style and have a Safeway, try the Open Nature, it tastes and feels like just regular yogurt to me.
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It dosnt matter what brand you get, just watch the sugar levels. The lower the better. Too much sugar and you defeat the purpose of eating yogurt.
    Greek can be very tart. I like to take plain greek yogurt and add diced apples with cinnamon.

Greek yogurt is also a great sub for sourcream in cooking.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask. I just wrote on my profile that I had an odd craving come over me for greek yogurt. Indeed odd. Because let's face it, who craves greek yogurt : (~

But .. I have been learning to eat it. Has great protein and I struggle with ways to get more protein in. Yes, the greek yogurt that I think tastes best has sugar in it - but gotta pick your poison. I eat very little added sugar. My sugar comes from fruit, greek yogurt and a protein bar (Cliff Builders or once in a while - Luna). With that said, I"ve tried LOTS of greek yogurt and these are my faves. I can actually eat them without too much trouble. Two of them I can actually eat "as is". Others, I add some fresh fruit and nuts to help it along.

Fage Cherry (YUM as-is) Fage Cherry Pomegrante. Fage Blueberry. Chobani pineapple. Chobani raspberry & blueberry. I have CHobani black cherry in the fridge - haven't tried it yet. For heaven's sake, unless you groove on the taste of lemon rind (and I'm a lemon girl !) make sure you have your glasses on when you reach for the Chobani pineapple or you will end up with Chobani lemon. OMG. When I put that in my mouth expecting pineapple. But I digress ....

I've tried Dannon, Yoplait, Brown Cow (egads! the WORST), Kroger, Stoneyfield , Trader Joes ....

Anyhoo .. that's my 3 cents. Just keep sampling till you find what you like !
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Chobani Blueberry 0%
  • JazmineSmith27
    Options
    I like Fage. I tend to purchase the plain fat free and add honey to it.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I cannot STAND Chobani's plain, but some people like it...

My favorite is Fage plain 0%. I put some granola and almonds in it, and it's super yummy. Fage plain 2% is much more flavorful -- in fact, too flavorful to get along with granola, although it tastes great with just almonds.

Oikos 0% is nice too, slightly less tart than Fage 0%, which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your preference.

Also, adding fresh fruit and honey to any 0% plain greek yogurt = instant yummy. I prefer it to getting a premade fruit version.