Weight Lifting

Options
I was talking to someone about lifting and getting in shape. I don't think that he knows what he is talking about, but I am still a beginner so I wouldn't really know. He seems to think that you don't need to have a certain number of sets of a certain number of reps. He says that he knows how to lift and that he just does as much as he can then moves on. He also says that he doesn't need to up the weight he's using at all. I thought that your body would get used to the weight and that you need to keep changing what you're doing when you get too used to the weight? What is the right way to do this?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You're right.. you do need to keep changing the weight.. otherwise how do you progress?

For me personally, I do a split body workout.. one day upper body and the next lower. I do about 8 different exercises and 2-3 sets of each with between 8-20 reps in each set.

If you belong to a gym, talk to a personal trainer to get you started. If not, then look at bodybuilding.com or new rules of lifting for women.. both will help you get started the right way.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It takes years of experience to be able to "train by feel." Every beginner should be on a proven program that focuses on linear progression (i.e. getting stronger).
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Wow, I just have to say that person should really keep their advice to themselves. I am not a trainer (currently working on it though), but I know he is incorrect.

Weight training is very individual, what works for one person may not work for another. If you belong to a gym see if you can get a free consult with a trainer. It would be worth it to get some basics on how to properly to do each machine and free weights. If you can invest in a few sessions even better. There is no one size fits all when it comes to weight lifting.
  • blotto76
    Options
    I have been a wrestling coach and/or involved in my own training regimin for over 20 years. There is not only 1 type of way to gain muscle just as there is not only 1 specific way to lose weight. I would also say there is pros and cons to every workout program depending on what your goals are. In the case of your advice however I would say you need to get your information elsewhere as that is the least productive advice I have heard in a long time. Either that or something was lost in the translation from his mouth to your keyboard lol. I agree with the above post. There are so many places to get advice once you have an idea of what your doing but for a newbie there is nothing better then getting it from a professional. It is going to cost you a couple bucks but it is important to learn technique as well as various types of excercises. Once you have gotten yourself well versed in the gym and have a strong understanding of excersize then start reading whatever you can get your hands on. Your going to do great!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I was talking to someone about lifting and getting in shape. I don't think that he knows what he is talking about, but I am still a beginner so I wouldn't really know. He seems to think that you don't need to have a certain number of sets of a certain number of reps. He says that he knows how to lift and that he just does as much as he can then moves on. He also says that he doesn't need to up the weight he's using at all. I thought that your body would get used to the weight and that you need to keep changing what you're doing when you get too used to the weight? What is the right way to do this?

Do this as a beginner and you'll be sore as hell (aka overtrained) for a week.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

"sore as hell" =/= overtrained
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It takes years of experience to be able to "train by feel." Every beginner should be on a proven program that focuses on linear progression (i.e. getting stronger).

^^ This. Even if he does know what he's doing (doubt it), that would be an extremely rare situation if that worked for him. It likely will not work for you.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options

This.
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    Well, there are different ways to train but don't try to dive into something hardcore right away as a beginner or you will hurt yourself. Start with lower weights and work your way up as the body can handle it.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/novice_overtraining.htm
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing a bit of research before you try anything, and not take "that guy I know" at his word. Programs like Starting Strength (I've heard) and StrongLifts (I know) start at a very basic level that's possible for anyone to comprehend and get into.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am currently still researching the best ways to approach strength training, as I've only been doing cardio and have heard that strength training is essential to achieve success. This was more for piece of mind and learning than of me wanting to do what he is doing. I have been reading a lot of material and I tried to explain to him that I didn't think he was doing it correctly, but I am a beginner therefore he didn't want to listen. But thank you all for your input, I now know that I wasn't wrong for thinking that it sounded a bit off. :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yay for bodybuilding.com! Jamie Eason is hot hot hot...I also have New Rules of Lifting for Women, but I haven't finished it yet. Get yourself informed or else you're going to be led around by the ignorant, and then you aren't making any progress.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/novice_overtraining.htm

Lyle's series was far better: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/overtraining-overreaching-and-all-the-rest-part-1.html
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Sure but it'sa long term over training discussion. I'm talking about this girl doing 5-6 different exercises to her max and being overly sore as a beginner. to the point where she won't continue the workouts because of how sore she is.
    No need to go gung ho as a beginner. Gains will come pretty fast anyway.

BTW. Don't take this the wrong way. I read most of the stuff that you suggest.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

For any beginner, I always suggest lifting a certain amount of weight that challenges your strength. Being able to lift or push that weight with some struggle but finishing it successfully. As you progress, you gain strength as your muscles develop. Usually starting off around 10-12 reps, that's just my opinion. As EVERYONE is built differently, then once you personally feel the weight's are getting easier. You can add increments of 5lbs or so, until you struggle again with the weight but still finish with success. This would be a good basic foundation to start with, for any novice or beginner.