The Over 300 Club

Options

Replies

• loula1076
    loula1076 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can do this!!!!!! Today was weigh-in day. I lost 11.7 pounds!!! I'm so excited. That means it's working. My first goal was to lose 20 pounds by the end of May. I'm already over half way. This really encourages me to keep it up.
    How's everyone else doing?
    Thanks for the welcome Blazin and Kristi. So glad to be here.
  • MPJS
    MPJS Posts: 465
    Options
    welcome loala and suthernbelle it nice to see more of us here.
    When I first came to this site it was with a friend and I did not want them to know me real weight for fear. My thing is it is a time to get real with myself and to stop eating junk and eat health and have a new life.
    Since I have joined I have realized that all of you have the same struggle as me and you know where I am coming from and that this is easy for noone and that I am safe here and noonne will be laughing at me.Thank you for that stillkristi and 4surethistime your right. I have to tell it my story this way it is out and I can get pased it because lately all I want to do is eat junk at night only. during the day hey I am great but does not help the loss. I used to say I was born fat no realy I mean I was 11 pounds and 9 ounces fat . Since then I was alway's on some kind of diet I remeber my whole family going on a diet when my dad had heart surgery . long story short since then I have packed on the weight going on one yo yo diet after the next loss 15 pounds gain 25 back it has gone on and on . after I had 2 kids I thought this is the last time and I lost about 25 pounds. well something came upone thing or the other and I ate the junk I still like the junk but tonight I realize I got to get real with me.
    And I did I fixed the weight bar and weighed myself. and I have lost 4 pounds slow and steady win the race right. but still I have think I sould lose it faster but I have not been eating right at night.
    everyone on this broad has been so great and loala and suthernbelle I think you will find great support here I know I did
    Thank all of you ladies for letting me get it out in the open and stillkristi and 4surethistime thank you for all the inspiration . and making it safe for me
  • TexasLaneys
    TexasLaneys Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi All,

My name is Craig and I live in Northwest Houston. I'd like to say thanks to Stillkristi for making me aware of this thread. She saw my ticker on a post and was curious as to how I have lost my weight and asked me to share a little in this thread.

I have been a member of MFP for around three months now I think. I was introduced to the site through a program here in Houston, Texas. The program is sponsored by the Methodist Hospital. I have been told that there are similar programs throughout the country. I had known about his program for about three years. As a matter of fact, I had friends who had followed the program and been very successful in it. But.....I didn't think I needed any help. I knew I had the will power and determination to lose weight all on my own. Sound familiar to anyone? Last summer when I turned 52 years old and my weight was 379 lbs, I finally accepted the fact that, I wasn't going to do it on my own. I accepted that my way was the wrong way and I began to look at other options. I looked briefly at the various surgical options because the thought of drinking shakes just didn't appeal to me. But, after weighing the options, I chose this plan to begin the process of learning to live and eat more healthier.

This particular program has three phases. The first is called New Beginnings. It consists of four; 200 calorie shakes a day for the first 12 weeks. Because your body is subsisting on so few calories, you are on very limited exercise during that phase. The shakes are a high protein, high nutrient blend of vitamins etc. that put your body into a state called ketosis. This is when the body is burning fat and not muscle. Men do as a rule loose the weight a little faster than the ladies in this process. After you overcome the mental hurdle of not eating, this phase is the easiest because there are no choices to make, other than what flavor of shake your going to have. Along with the meals there are weekly class room sessions that include lessons on proper nutrition, time with councilors, monthly labs and monthly visits with the staff doctor.

The second phase is called Adapting It. In this phase, you are reintroduced to food in your diet. Typically you will substitute 1 shake for 1 meal. The meal is designed by a staff dietician. For me this phase lasted about three weeks. During this time I transitioned from 1 meal to two meals to four meals a day. Once food was introduced, the shakes got old real fast.

Phase three is called Living It. This is the phase that I hope to remain in for the rest of my life. In this phase I am taking what I have learned in the class room and applying it to real world living. I begin each morning at 5:30 am. I do 30 minutes on the elliptical, a 10 minute cool down on the inclined bike and weight training three days a week. I also practice and teach Aikido classes two afternoons a week. The keys to success in any weight loss program are for me as follows. I hope these are helpful to you.

1- Have a plan. Know what you are going to do each day to make a healthier you. For me MFP is a big part of this. I log in my meals and workouts each day. I read the forums here for input from other people. Keep in mind, loosing weight and living a healthy lifestyle isn't a race. It's a journey. A journey that I am learning to enjoy and not dread. I really don't miss.......:noway: I mean...I really don't need the junk that I used to eat. I am learning to enjoy the new me.

2- Drink the water......A lot of water.......Even if you don't like it, it's the best thing for you.

3. Be accountable to someone. For me, the weekly meeting I attend through Methodist is now a part of my routine. The people I have seen fail to keep weight off or who fail to continue to lose weight are those people who once again begin to think that they can do it on their own.

4. If you have a bad day or a bad week, don't give up. Read these forums for encouragement and remember that nothing of real value comes without a cost. If it was easy, we would all have been skinny years ago :smile:

God Bless,

Craig
  • aur23a
    aur23a Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Welcome new friends! Stillk and Craig, thank you! I'm so greatful to have such awesome support. I've been on MPF for about a month and it's been a blessing. I totally agree, when you are accountable to someone it makes a difference. I have support from a very good friend at work, she is really helping me! My husband is extra supportive and you my friends in this thread, I am blessed! I finally saw my weightloss ticker move. I'm down 8 lbs, Yay!
    I hope everyone has a nice night and thanks for being here. You are all a blessing!!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone!!!

I wanted to stop in and say HI

I am starting back exercising tomorrow afternoon. I am going to the State Fair Grounds and take my puppies for a walk.

I am excited!!!

I made some yummy low carb chicken enchiladas tonight. I posted the recipe in the food and nutrition section if anyone is interested. :drinker: :drinker:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to say goodnight. I ended up walking 3 miles in 45 minutes tonight. I burned 510 calories. Usually I work out 2-3 times a day and burn 900-1,000 calories. I will get back on track tomorrow. I hope everyone had a great day. :heart: Cindy :heart:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hi gang, Its late and I'm beat, so I am just checking in before heading to bed.

Southernbelle - hey, that elliptical will get easier! One of my friends, adopt4 on the THE Team thread started about two months ago doing elliptical and could only do about 7 minnutes. She now regularly does 30 minutes, 40 mintues, etc. You can do it, just keep at it!

Blazin - WTG on the weight loss in advance! :wink:

Cindy, your question about the 1710 vs 1600 calories. You will find that the number of calories per day recommended by MFP decreases as your weight decreases. Here's why: MFP figures your daily calories based on your basal metabolic rate (BMR) which is the number of calories needed to sustain your weight if you did no exercise in the day. Then, based on your weight loss goal, it builds in a calorie deficit. For example, in the goal section if you selected 2 lbs. a week, it will calculate a 1000 calorie a day deficit. At the end of the week, that will equal 7000 calories, which is equal to 2 lbs. So, as your weight decreases, your BMR will decrease, and so will your calorie recommendations. Hope that helps. Good job on your exercise. One day of just walking is probably a good change up, anyway!

loula - WTG!!!!! 12 lbs down! Yay!!! We can do this!

MPJS - I so hear you on the night time eating. Thats a tough habit to break. We do it for comfort, I guess. The best thing, of course would be not to eat at all at night. Say set a goal and tell yourself "I won't eat after 9:00. or 8:00 or whatever. Second best thing, what if you tried substituting a nice hot cup of herb tea? No calories. Or a glass of low fat choc milk? Or, allow yourself a small snack, weigh it, count it, and when its gone, its gone. Look for very low calorie options. You'll find a way. Keep working on it, and remember, beating yourself up is just wasted energy. Instead, use that energy to figure out the problem and solve it! You can do this! Look how far you've come! You posted your ticker! YAY. You lost 4 lbs YAY YAY WAHOO!!!!! GOOD JOB!

Craig, thank you so much for sharing your story with us! The simple steps in your plan are so great! Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Aur23a - YAY!!! You're on track! Its happening! GOOD JOB!!! WTG!

Leanlioness, welcome back! Glad to hear you are doing so well. Hang in there with us, and thanks for posting that receipe!

Take care everyone. You lurkers, check in, we need to hear how you are doing! I hope by the end of the week, we all see movement in our tickers! GO TEAM!!!
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    Hey Everyone !

Just checking in to say I hope your all having a wonderful day! :flowerforyou:
  • 4suredistime
    Options
    Hi everyone!!! I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCK!

Hello to our new members!!!! You will love it here.

Way to go all on your WL and all the efforts you have put in this past week. Slowly but surely we will attain our goals.

Craig, thank you for posting and I hope you will stick around! I think the main reason I failed before is because I was too proud to ask for help, and admit to myself that I needed help. Now I see that makes all the difference. That and committing to yourself. Funny how we can keep promises to others but tend to disregard ourselves in that respect.

Well, all of us here are on the right path. MPJS!!! WAYYYYYYY TO GOOOOOOO. I am so proud of you and happy for you for opening up:happy: !!! slowly but surely. Try not to keep the junk food around, only the healthy foods, and if you must snack at night, then at least the damage won't be as bad.

I don't miss any of the junk foods I used to have, or the sodas, or the galon ice creams. What is it they say about forming a habit. It takes 21 days to form one and 21 days to break one. The minute I realized that I was fine when I did not give in to my cravings or urges to cheat, I decided to stick to my guns. I actually feel much better when I ignore a craving, then I did satisfying one!!! Like Tam said a few posts back, I eat to give fuel to my body, not to revel in the taste or smell of food. When I am soo busy that I allow myself to be very hungry, I pace myself, drink water first, and chew very slowly, so that I don't eat too fast or overeat. And if you pay attention to your body's response, if you are actually feeling hunger pangs, after the few bites, they will dissipate and you can relax and enjoy your meal without still thinking that you are starving so you have to fill up to erase the void.

On another note, never have I been so glad to be back from a trip, so I can get back to my routine and my life!!!
    I had a great time and was happy to see everyone, but could not wait to come back.
    At night I was too exhausted to log on and post, but I did read some, and logged in my daily intake and exercise/activities...
    For the very first time I walked all the way from security check-point at Hartsfield, all the way to my gate, without stopping (pretending to buy a mag or something) to catch my breath. I had no back pain, and I was actually walking faster and lugging my carryon! and did the same on the way back. It felt great.
    I managed to stick to my plan the entire time. I actually enjoyed Pollo Tropical... my favorite eatery in Florida, and had the chicken breast/no skin (for the first time too... lol). It was not as hard as I thought it would be at all... I just wished I had managed more exercising while there. I tae bo'ed once, but I did go swimming and did some exercises in the pool, and I figure the walking at the airport and the dancing I did Friday and Sat, count for exercise.
    I think I am ready for my 2 week caribbean vacation!!! I can do it and not falter.
    Now, my weigh in at 3pm today will tell the true strory!!! :sick: Will keep you guys posted.

Have a great day everyone, and let's keep our heads and spirits up!!!
  • stillkristi
    Options
    4sure, welcome back! Its good to see you! I can't wait until you post to see your weight loss! I so appreciate your post for two reasons (1) I realized that i used to do those same things, when you said walking through the airport and stopping to buy a mag. I never thought much about it before, but I did a ton of little things to compensate for my weight and poor health! As I let go of those crutches one by one because I don't need them anymore, I need to be more mindful and more grateful of what great blessings these changes are in my life! Thanks! The second thing was just a great tip that I really needed. You said when you allow yourself to get very hungry, you eat very carefully, first drinking water, then chewing very slowly to allow your body to know it is FINALLY being fed, and it can stop sending those hunger pangs at you already! :laugh: Thats one of my biggest downfalls, when I get really hungry, I seem to eat like there's no tomorrow and either over eat, or am still hungry when I have finished, and very frustrated. Your way is better! :wink: Thanks!

Well team, thanks to everyone for sharing motivation, information and support. Take care, see you later!
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Hi Team, just checking in to see how everyones doing. We just got back from the pool. I love being able to swim the first week in May. We moved to where we are now ,Odessa, Texas from near Cleveland, Ohio almost 2 years ago. It is still chilly back home. We are hitting 95 degrees here today. 105 on Thursday. I love it. Make it a great afternoon everyone. :heart: Cindy :heart:
  • 4suredistime
    Options
    :glasses: So as you can see, 4 more lbs down... This time I really did not know what to expect... but I am happy with it!!! Sadly, I find out that I can't have sugarless gum!!! :grumble: I was having a stick maybe 3 times a week, and that is a no no!!! Oh well.

StillK, Thank you, thank you... I am happy to be back. It is sooo funny how I am getting my comfort from MFP, exercising and this thread, and not from food anymore. I can literally say " I FEEL GREAT" and mean it!!!
    I am glad I can provide any little bit of info that will help... I am still learning and figuring out what works best for me, and I am happy to share if it will help someone else. That's one of the reasons we are here, right? :bigsmile:

CindyS, 95 degrees? 105? wow? and you love it? I am an island girl, and I run from 85!!! :laugh: But only because I can't anymore, I lived in England for several years then vacationed for 10 days in South Beach Fl, and since I developped a sun and heat allergy from overexposure:huh: ... Go figure! Enjoy it, but be sure to protect your skin!!!
  • MPJS
    Options
    Hi every one Welcome back 4surethistime congrats on the loss you did great,IT sounds like the trip was great. and thank you. Yes you and stillkristi where right I need to get it out this way I can move on and hopefully weigh less .. I think stillkritsi is right 4sure that is a great idea to eat slow and and taste the food until that bad hunger goes away. what a goo tip that we all can use.
    I hope all of the team is doing well and having great weather like Cindy I know here in N.Y it's raining everyone have a wonderful afternoon.
  • loula1076
    loula1076 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies and gents! How's everyone doing? I'm having a hard time getting my schedule to work right. We're still trying to tweek it. My mom, Joey (son) and I want to walk everyday, but can't be done until after homework and sometime before or after dinner, but before my kids go to bed. :ohwell:
    I'll figure it out. So....about the shakes, I just can't do that. I want to enjoy my food and learn how to do that in a healthy way. I lost 12 pounds last week. Hope I can lose at least 5 this week. My goal is 5 every week. I really, really want to be able to fit into this little leather skirt I bought about 6 years ago by my next wedding anniversary in February. That means losing about 10 sizes. I can do it!!!:smile:
  • MPJS
    Options
    Good morning everyone I hope everyone has a great day.
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

Ya know, my hubby thinks I am pulling this "weight-loss thing" to the extreme. Like I can't enjoy a cook-out with my family because I chose a turkey burger rather that a full fat 700 cal beef burger..... it bugs me, but it won't stop me. So I told him lastnight, I'll stop mentioning how many cal/fat/carbs something has in it, if he keeps his mouth shut about what I do or don't eat. :laugh:

Anyway, I'm so glad to see everyone is doing well.

4sure, welcome back I'm glad you had a good trip and some awesome numbers to match.

MPJS, you are very brave hun. It takes alot of strength and courage to admit to others, as well as ourselves, what things started us on our road to over-eatting. I'm proud of you and that ticker look BEAUTIFUL! :flowerforyou:
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Morning peeps! How is everyone? I was just reflecting that I could really get used to this healthy eating thing! :laugh: Its so nice when stuff is in season. This morning for breakfast, I had 1/2 cup cottage cheese and about 3/4 cup of sliced strawberries. It was so good! I the past, I would have loaded it with sugar. Today, I can't imagine why anyone would want to put sugar on that and change that wonderful, fresh flavor. Go figure!

Well, off to exercise and then to work! Hope everyone has a beautiful, blessed, joyous day.

Overdoing it, aren't I? :blushing: Oh well, hope everyone is happy. If you aren't feeling happy, I suggest watching this video, and getting up and dancing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoaTl7IcFs8&feature=PlayList&p=999126A3CBAE33DA&index=0&playnext=1

Say hey! Take care gang!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll! I had a truly decadent night last night...blue cheese burger, sweet potato fries and ice cream. Out of town friends came to visit and took us out for dinner. Not feeling (too!) guilty...but I will be doing extra laps in the pool tonight :blushing:

My tummy is feeling it today - it's been so long since I have had such rich food. I am internalizing that feeling...really paying attention to it and the connection to last night's dinner - as a behaviour modification technique. Kind of like a mental snap of the rubber band on my wrist - what's that called??? That way maybe next time the salmon and salad really will look more tempting than the fries!!! Sorry...but I had to get that out there :happy:

BlazinEmerald - speaking of burgers - have you tried the PC Blue Menu Angus burgers? Really low fat and very delicious!!! Just so you don't have to do turkey all the time when hubby is tempting you with the beef! 310 cals for the burger AND a reg hamburger bun and it's a satisfying size too. Don't let him get you down though, you're doing great!

Anyway, I'm off for a walk. Just checking in to say hi!
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hey Everybody!!!!

4sure-congrats on this weeks success. That's awesome to have fun on vacation and LOSE weight at the same time! :happy: I will be in Destin in a couple of weeks for 5 days, I hope I can keep it together, I'm really struggling with going outside of my comfort zone. I'm scared I will sabotage my success so far. I'm talking it through, plus with the support and inspiration of everyone here, I'm gaining some self-confidence!

loula-I know it's hard especially when you have children. Their schedules can be busier than ours! But that's great that your family is getting healthier together. I bet that makes your life a lot easier. For me, I still have to cook meals for my family that tempt me so badly. (I eat prepackaged meals/shakes) so anything is tempting right about now. 4sure said that we must do something 21 times to make it a habit, well, I've been on this journey for about a month now and I'm just hoping these good habits will stick!! I'm praying, I really am!
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Hi team! I'm glad to see you are all doing well. I walked my 2 miles this morning in 32 minutes. I am going to do my 3 mile walk away the pounds workout later on this afternoon. Since I started watching a 19th month old little boy I'm having a hard time getting the watp workout in. Between homeschooling my 10 year old and the 19th month old my days are busy. It's so easy to just walk 4 miles a day and forgo that 3 mile watp workout. I know that the watp workout is a great workout! I have to make time for it! If the little one gets up from his nap soon we're heading to the pool. It's 95 degrees here today. We're hitting 105-109 the next two days. :glasses: Gotta love that Texas heat! What's everyone having for dinner? We're having turkey taco salad. Yummo- I hope everyone is having a great day!!!! Cindy :heart: