Alternates to Pasta?

Options
2»

Replies

• MartiJJohnston
    Options
    I tried the miracle noodles/shirataki noodles once and could not stomach the texture. :sick:

I steam broccoli and cauliflower and put my pasta sauce over the top and it's YUMMY! Haven't tried the spaghetti squash idea yet.

I've learned I can use a ton of veggies in my pasta sauce and then just use half service of whole grain pasta. Cuts calories way down! :happy:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bolognese over spaghetti squash is delicious. Shirataki's are great for Asian dishes, but they just taste wrong trying to sub for pasta in Italian dishes.
  • brandeejean
    brandeejean Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Another vote for spaghetti squash!
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Edit: my vote is carrots. :) Closely followed by zucchini, then yellow squash. I can't wait to try all three together for a really pretty dish. :)

I wrote two blog posts about this:

Original:

http://kguac.com/2011/12/borrowed-raw-spaghetti-alternative-low-carb-low-cal/

This follow-up (today) has my favorite version, and the prettiest presentation!:

http://kguac.com/2011/12/carroghetti-spaghetti-alternative-followup/
  • springfield5780
    Options
    I have a spaghetti squash in the fridge and am making sauce tomorrow....have no clue how to prepare the spaghetti squash tho LOL
  • alikona22
    alikona22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash for the win! I eat this at least once a week. Although with my current financial situation, it's more affordable to go with whole wheat pasta (check the fiber content) than spaghetti squash. Other veggies I'll eat with spaghetti sauce/light alfredo sauce/chicken/ground turkey or beef are broccoli, spinach, and zucchini. Yum!
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just bought spaghetti squash a day ago. I'm excited to give it a try soon :)
  • Jillv086622
    Jillv086622 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Looks like I will be going to the store tomorrow to buy Spaghetti Squash!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I just have lots of a vegetable laden sauce, perhaps some low fat ricotta and a smidge of parmesan, and cut the pasta serve right down. I use the vegetables to fill me up instead of the pasta, cause veggies are way less calorie dense.

And I have learned how to make some kick *kitten* new pasta sauces lately - brocolli, eggplant, ratatoille, I will try summer veggies this weekend...
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Also, tonight I am having an italian meal without pasta - I have a cookbook at home that has a few of these recipes. Tonight it's mushrooms stuffed with breadcrumbs, ricotta, parmesan, and flavouring stuff on a bed of passata, baked.

I also make from the same cookbook ricotta and spinach dumplings with tomato sauce. Again, spinach, ricotta, parmesan breadcrumbs, flavouring and binding stuff, with parsley and garlic passata.

It's 4:30 and I have just made myself insanely hungry. Bugger.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Two more suggestions:
    1) Serve it over baby spinach leaves or chopped iceberg lettuce, or in lettuce-leaf cups.
    2) Serve it by itself, but add kidney beans to the mix to make it more filling and less runny.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Yes, I will probably use rice, the spaghetti squash doesn't look too nice.

Maybe it'st just me, but isn't this kind of a silly reason not to try it? Seriously, spaghetti squash is the bomb dot com.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you like spaghetti bolognaise (ie, you enjoy the pasta), then I would add lots of veggies to the sauce which gives you more food without adding many cals, then serve it over a smaller serve of pasta - try the really fine angelhair spaghetti, because its finer it looks like you are getting more than a thicker pasta.

Or if you really just love the sauce then don't bother about trying to substitute the pasta - eat it as it is with a salad on the side, or use it as stuffing for something like capsicum or zuccini.

Generally, I'm not a fan of trying to substitute things that I enjoy - I'd rather eat a bit less of the real thing than add in a fake that is never going to taste the same. But, it doesn't hurt to be creative in the way you serve something - bolognaise doesn't HAVE to go with pasta.