WHAT HAS HELPED YOU

Options
Pam3
Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
hi! what has been the single most important thing on your weight loss journey....or what has helped you the most....for me, the logging of foods is critical....thanks

Replies

• PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Staying consistent
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories! It was the missing link for me, because any other time I tried to lose weight, I cut calories too much, felt deprived, frustrated at my slow progress, burned out, and quit.

Eating the calories I earned from exercise made me aware that I didn't need to create a huge deficit, just a small one, and the weight melted off. No frustration, no deprivation, nothing off limits. And while at first, I exercised so I could eat more, now I eat more so I can exercise more. I know I need to fuel properly if I'm going to get the results I want, both in my physical appearance and my physical abilities.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    There isn't one thing. 1) logging food 2) gaining a better understanding of my body's base needs 3) strength training. I saw a lot of results with food and cardio, but when I started to weight train I really saw my body change.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Learning to count calories..I honestly had no idea before what amount I was consuming.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is what did it, but it is not what kept me motivated to continue, because I've done that before...

It was the learning process from reading through the forums, the motivation I received when seeing a complete stranger hit a milestone, and the knowledge that what I was doing would work eventually, without a doubt - and I didn't need a time constraint on when the weight needed to come off. Also, my expectations were much more under control this time. I think that has to do with the whole "If you eat like this for five weeks, you'll weigh this much" thing. That sure lets you know that ten pounds aren't going to come off in one short month ;)

Knowing that exercising would bring me extra calories made some days more do-able and made it possible for me to make it through some really nice dinners without having to eat saltine crackers! Knowing that I could do more physically each day than I could the week before was a nice help too :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    being dedicated
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    increasing my protein made a huge difference in many areas
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The best thing that helped me was figuring out some of my medical issues. It is hard to lose weight when you are hypothyroid and two of your other medications have side effects of increased appetite. Now that my hormones are balanced, and I am not on those medications anymore, losing weight is MUCH easier. It was not impossible before, but it's so much less exhausting now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eating more, I eat 2800 calories to lose weight. So I am definitely part of the eat more lose more group.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Portion control. I was lucky that I already had a pretty healthy diet, I rarely eat fast food, don't drink sodas, etc. so I didn't have to change a ton in my diet. But too much is still too much. The first 30# fell right off when I pulled out cups and a scale. And I still use them daily.
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Learning that I don't have to starve myself to lose weight, learning to make healthy choices x
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    almost like Blind Belief... getting into a zone of TORTURE, knowing that it wont be forever (deprivation of fave foods is what I'm referring to).
    And I'm still trying to learn new (healther) fave foods.

Logging food and exercising everyday has been imperative for me in keeping me motivated and giving me a visual.
  • My competitve nature & logging cals.
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Tracking calories has helped me. I didn't realize how much I was eating before. I kept hearing calories in calories out. I think in the past Weight Watchers had helped me but once I stopped following all the points I gained my 30lbs back and then some. Plus, I thought to myself how am I going to remember this formula forever. This system is much easier to follow.

And of course.... the support I've received from my friends on here has helped me immensely. But I think inside me I always think to myself I have me... I have to do it for me.
  • sunnybrunette126
    Options
    oops
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The food tracking is fantastic. It keeps me accountable and helps to find problem areas For me that area is sodium!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    the daycare at my gym. without the daycare there would be no gym and i DESPISE working out with DVDs and its getting cold here and i DESPISE walking/running in cold weather...so yes, that daycare is worth the 10 extra bucks a month ...
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    With me it was Food Intake.
    I always loved exercise - even fat.

And I was always very active hiking, biking, playing tennis and dancing.
    Just very fat.

I changed little except getting real about my diet, and BINGO!

I lost 64 lbs.
  • sunnybrunette126
    Options
    Double post... ha! My internet at work sucks... sorry! :)
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Using this site and weighing my food so I could record it made me realise that my idea of a portion size was waaaaaaay out of control LOL