This has been a long journey

Options
I have learned my lesson doing crash diet after crash diet, you lose 5 - 10 lbs and then gain back 15. You also destroy your metabolism... This isn't just about a quick fix for me, this is a lifestyle... I have health issues that run on both sides of my family and it is absolutely imperative to me that I fix my issues now so later on down the road I don't deal with serious health concerns that are weight related.

I want to be healthy again. I have learned MANY things about dieting in the past 3 years since I started my journey. I've learned what works and what doesn't. I've learned about maintaining my weight loss, now I'm ready to lose the rest of my weight, and go into the maintenance phase. I'm not doing this for anyone other than me.

That being said, I'm always looking to meet new people who have the same kind of mindset, or even people who can benefit from my experience....

A word to the wise, NEVER DO MEDIFAST.

Replies

• valh12
    valh12 Posts: 13
    Options
    you can definitely add me!!!
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ you! Slow and steady wins the race!! Sometimes it gets frustrating only losing 1 lb. a week but over time all those 1 lbs. add up to a healthier you!!
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    @Kimberg if only it was at least 1 lb a week for me... I've been dieting and only maintaining... but at least I'm not gaining... My body h as been so out of whack because of crash diet after crash diet.... But with the assistance of my trainer, I think I am finally on the road to recovery.
  • Prozack1964
    Options
    hello well it sounds like you already have it beat so thats great and your right its a life style not a diet well hope you have a great day
  • ottersln
    Options
    Congrats on the journey to a healthier you! I'd like to know more about why you are against Medifast as my DIL uses it. I'm doing it the old fashioned way (eat healthier and exercise my back side off) but she's says that Medifast works for her and she really doesn't have time to exercise with two babies under two and teaching Kindergarten. Wishing you great success as you head towards maintenance!
  • antipanic
    Options
    Hi Butterfly, you can add me if you like. I also am trying to stick with the slow and steady route. Gosh, it takes a lot of patience. I have to keep reminding myself that this way is better. Good luck to you!
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    @ottersln the reason I have such strong feelings against medifast, is because I did medifast for a long while. I lost a bunch of weight, I was up to a 40 lb weight loss.... What they DON'T tell you, is as soon as you start eating REAL food again, you are going to gain the weight back, it doesn't matter HOW closely you monitor you calories... ALSO, when I stopped medifast and tried dieting on my own, during the gaining the weight back phase, I tried going back to medifast to see if it would work to lose weight again, but I kept gaining weight, despite following the 5 and 1 plan regularly... It completely destroyed my metabolism... i was eating only 1100 calories of real food a day and STILL gaining weight... it was to the point where I seriously considered going and getting my thyroid checked out because I thought for sure it had triggered thyroid problems. After that, I began working out with a personal trainer, and I told her my story and she was super excited to work with me and see what we could accomplish... the first thing she had me do was start eating the FULL amount of calories that I need to maintain... And I gained weight hand over fist, it was crazy, once my weight gain STOPPED, I then allowed to start decreasing my calories by small amounts. Other than the gaining the weight back and the low metabolism, I also noticed i had NO muscle whatsoever despite working out regularly, that was because my body had gone into starvation mode because of being on medifast and eating so low calories, my body stopped eating fat and started eating away my muscle.... PLUS I lost a TON of hair and my "cycle" was all messed up, like MAJORLY messed up, as in every other week for a full week... I was beginning to get anemic, my color was all gone out of my face... there were SOO many side affects to it, that it took months some even YEARS to repair... I have just NOW got the body back that I had before medifast and am working out with my trainer, so I'm in better shape now than ever, and am dieting and eating healthy.... But I strongly urge ANYONE AND EVERYONE to NOT do medifast... Because of my experiences and I KNOW medifast was the cause of all my issues, i've talked to other people who have done medifast, and my trainer and they all said the same thing happened to them, my trainer said she has heard that from everyone she has talked to about medifast...

This long paragraph is probably more than you wanted to know! Haha! But i have STRONG feelings against medifast and am more than willing to share my experience with anyone who wants to know... And because of my experience I know what it takes to lose weight the healthy way, i know how to keep it off and I know how to repair your body after destroying your metabolism with medifast or any other crash diets. if your DIL wants to talk to someone with experience regarding MF just have her contact me. I'm more than willing to share.
  • KarenBures2
    KarenBures2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is where I am at. I have lost 55 pounds total, but it's been 3 years. Which is really slow! I know this is good, but I have about another 15 pounds until I am where I want to be. But I also have absolutely destroyed by body/metabolism by doing crash diets, and when those didn't work with bulimia. I have a trainer too and it has been a frustrating experience because I sometimes wonder how long I have to pay for my past choices, but you're right. It's not a diet. This is my life. And it looks different. I'll get to where I need to get eventually. :smile: