Complex carbs

Options
Can someone tell me what complex cards are?
I am not sure if they are good or bad.

Replies

• smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Can someone tell me what complex cards are?
    I am not sure if they are good or bad.
  • meaganrh
    meaganrh Posts: 24
    Options
    Simple carbs are things like sugar, candy, refined flour... Fatty, Junky Foods!

Complex carbs are more natural, whole grains, vegetables, fruits...

So Complex Carbs are better for your body overall, more nutritious and packed with vitamins and minerals!

make sense?
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs are good - they have nutrients and fiber and digest slower than simple carbs. Some examples of complex carbs are:

whole grain breads/tortillas/wraps etc.
    vegetables
    fruits
    brown and wild rice

Simple carbs digest really easily and spike your blood sugar:

white bread
    white rice
    candy bars
    regular soda

If you have blood sugar issues, you would have to watch your intake of any carb - but complex carbs are certainly healthier!
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    CARB BREAKDOWN, I found this online, thought it very helpful!:bigsmile:

RULE 1: Include the following in your diet:
    Fruits: 2-4 servings daily
    Vegetables: 3-5 servings daily
    Whole grain breads, muffins, bagels, rolls, pasta, noodles, crackers, cereal, and brown rice: 6-11 servings daily
    Legumes, beans and peas: 1-2 servings daily
    Low-fat and non-fat dairy products: 3 servings daily

RULE 2: Limit the following to less than 2 servings daily:
    Fruit Juice
    Refined and processed white flour products (bread, muffins, bagels, rolls, pasta, noodles, crackers, cereal)
    White rice
    French fries
    Fried vegetables

RULE 3: Eliminate the following from your diet or eat only on occasion:
    Sugary desserts, cookies, cakes, pies, candies
    Doughnuts and pastries
    Chips, cola and carbonated beverages
    Sugar, honey, syrup, jam, jelly, molasses
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Rather than breaking your carbs simply into "simple" and "complex" categories, you should consider "processed" a separate category. I say this because most fruits are actually comprised primarily of simple carbs, and many vegetables are comprised of both simple and complex carbs. Honey is a simple carb, but if you eat it raw and in very small quantities, it has the ability to soothe sore throats, help relieve morning sickness and stomach upset and many other beneficial attributes. Simple carbs are turned into energy more quickly than complex carbs.

Processed carbs are simple carbs, too... but they do not provide nutritional benefits like fruits do. Processed carbs include white flour, white rice, white pasta, table sugar and sweet treats and candies.

My point is, it's not correct to say simple carbs are bad and complex carbs are bad as if it is a black and white statement. You need some of both, but you should avoid processed carbs whenever possible.