Dumbell weights question.

Options
Hi,

I've stared adding more weight training to my workout routine and I have some questions about incrementing the dumbbell weight.

I have 2 basic dumbbell bars and 4 of each: 2.5lb, 5lb, 7.5lbs, 10lbs.

I'm trying to do two sets of 12 reps before I add more weight to each exercise.

My question is: What is the correct increment of weight to add, once I can go 12 reps of a weight?

For example: Hammer curls: Let's say I can do 12 reps at 20lbs, using two 10lbs weights on each dumbbell. Is it ok to use one 10lbs weight on one side of the dumbell and one 10lbs and one 2.5 lbs weight on the other to have 22.5lbs total?

Is the 2.5lbs that one side is heavier going to cause injury or any thing else unwanted?
Should the heavier side be on the outside or the inside? Should I switch which side the heavier side is on each set?

Or should I just struggle with 25lbs total and make it even on both sides?

TIA

Replies

• Yewkon
    Yewkon Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi,

I've stared adding more weight training to my workout routine and I have some questions about incrementing the dumbbell weight.

I have 2 basic dumbbell bars and 4 of each: 2.5lb, 5lb, 7.5lbs, 10lbs.

I'm trying to do two sets of 12 reps before I add more weight to each exercise.

My question is: What is the correct increment of weight to add, once I can go 12 reps of a weight?

For example: Hammer curls: Let's say I can do 12 reps at 20lbs, using two 10lbs weights on each dumbbell. Is it ok to use one 10lbs weight on one side of the dumbell and one 10lbs and one 2.5 lbs weight on the other to have 22.5lbs total?

Is the 2.5lbs that one side is heavier going to cause injury or any thing else unwanted?
    Should the heavier side be on the outside or the inside? Should I switch which side the heavier side is on each set?

Or should I just struggle with 25lbs total and make it even on both sides?

TIA
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I would actually try to make it through 3 sets of 12 reps before I jump up to the next weight.

I don't think it is going to hurt you to go with 22.5. I would keep the heavier weight closer to the inside.
  • exercisediva
    exercisediva Posts: 127
    Options
    iceprincessk25 stated it correct. Add 1 more set and then add more reps. Once that gets too easy, step up to 15lb and then 20lbs
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    It shouldn't hurt to have the 2 1/2 lbs on one side. I would recommend the heavier side be on top when doing hammer curls and in most cases it should be on the same side as your thumb and your hand should be slightly offset to the side of the heavier weight. Hope that make sense.
  • Yewkon
    Yewkon Posts: 34
    Options
    OK thanks everyone.