Help please - Only Lost 1lb since starting this 40 days ago!

Options
Hi - I wonder if anyone can help. I've been using MFP for over a month now and still have only lost 1lb in weight. I am 165lbs and would like to be 140. I'm 5'3, 38 and female. (When I started dieting in September I was 173 lbs so have lost 8lbs since then (using Scottish Slimmers - a bit like Weight Watchers) but only 1lb since beginning of Nov when I started MFP). :sad:

In order to lose 1lb a week my net goal is 1250 calories although I have MFP set to maintenance calories of 1750 so I can see the total deficit for the day as per "The Olivia Method". I log everything (sometimes forget about vegetables though as I have done diets previously where these are "free"!). When I first started this the advice I got was that I wasn't eating enough and needed to eat my exercise calories so I have been doing this. I have read a lot of advice on the forum and tried different tactics like drinking more water etc etc. I work out about 4 or 5 times per week at the gym (mix of cardio, strength, classes and swimming) burning approx 400-500 cals a time. I don't have an HRM (and can't afford one at the moment) so take my cals burned from MFP or from the gym machines. My deficits have been enough over the last few weeks to apparently lose between 0.5lb and 1lb per week but ZILCH!! :explode:

It is becoming very frustrating that I am putting all this work in and seeing no difference on the scales. I have lost an inch around waist and 3/4 inch around bust but I am really doing this to lose weight not stay the same weight!!

I know this is a difficult time of year to try to lose weight so my philosphy until January 12 is at least to maintain my weight.

Not losing weight is really frustrating me as I seem to be doing all the right things.........can anyone help?? I don't want to have to go back to a "diet club" - it is too expensive for a start off!

Thanks in advance for your replies..........

Replies

• mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I have lost an inch around waist and 3/4 inch around bust but I am really doing this to lose weight not stay the same weight!!

That's pretty good work in 41 days. Surely it's more important to be slimmer than weigh less? This is a bit tautological, but being slimmer is the one which affects the way you look. I'd say keep going with what you're doing (I had a peak at your diaries).
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that - I'll try to keep going but it is not easy when no results on the scales. Yes, I do want to be slimmer but also would like to be lighter too!

Anyone else??
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I glanced through your food diary. I would recommend that you track your sodium and try to keep it under 2,000 mg/day. I'm going to guess that a lot of the prepared foods you're eating are pretty high in sodium. This can make a difference to your efforts. By the same token, you probably should make an effort to drink lots of WATER. Plain, old water.

I'd encourage you to make your own food from good raw ingredients, eat lots of fruits, veggies and good proteins. I'd also encourage you to use good fats, real olive oil, real butter....you need good fat. Low or non-fat things don't really give you much nutritional value and you actually need fat for your body to do all the things it needs to do. So, yes, I'm telling you to avoid things that say "non-fat" and "light". The fewer ingredients listed on a label the better off you are. If you're going to limit the number of calories you eat in a day, I believe you need to make those calories as nutritionally dense as possible.

The only other thought I have about your lack of loss to this point may be that you're not accurately recording what you eat so you're not viewing the whole picture. Do you have a kitchen scale? This can make a big difference!

good luck, happy eating and happy holidays!
    JoJo
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I glanced through your food diary. I would recommend that you track your sodium and try to keep it under 2,000 mg/day. I'm going to guess that a lot of the prepared foods you're eating are pretty high in sodium. This can make a difference to your efforts. By the same token, you probably should make an effort to drink lots of WATER. Plain, old water.

I'd encourage you to make your own food from good raw ingredients, eat lots of fruits, veggies and good proteins. I'd also encourage you to use good fats, real olive oil, real butter....you need good fat. Low or non-fat things don't really give you much nutritional value and you actually need fat for your body to do all the things it needs to do. So, yes, I'm telling you to avoid things that say "non-fat" and "light". The fewer ingredients listed on a label the better off you are. If you're going to limit the number of calories you eat in a day, I believe you need to make those calories as nutritionally dense as possible.

The only other thought I have about your lack of loss to this point may be that you're not accurately recording what you eat so you're not viewing the whole picture. Do you have a kitchen scale? This can make a big difference!

good luck, happy eating and happy holidays!
    JoJo

Thanks JoJo
    Most of the food I eat is home-cooked and prepared from scratch. We rarely buy pre-packed foods - maybe the odd sauce for chicken/beef etc or a tub of soup if we haven't had time to cook any. Always wholegrain rice/pasta/bread etc. I put all my recipes in the recipe builder so I can accurately figure out the cals in a portion. My husband is the main preparer of dinner so I maybe need to watch him a bit more and make sure he is using a recipe rather than just guessing quantities. I prepare my own lunch - usually a salad and a portion of protein. I will try to have a think about this and plan it out a bit more!
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that - I'll try to keep going but it is not easy when no results on the scales. Yes, I do want to be slimmer but also would like to be lighter too!

Anyone else??

I think the lighter will come over time, just don't be dispirited because it isn't happening now - you are most definitely making progress.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    That was really good advice. Sodium makes a huge difference and I don't know if you eat a lot of carbs but I would cut back on those. Everytime I have a plateau, I try to cut back, not cut out on bad carbs. I would also count my veggies. Some are a little starchy and they still count towards your total calories during the day.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    When I first started this the advice I got was that I wasn't eating enough and needed to eat my exercise calories so I have been doing this. I have read a lot of advice on the forum and tried different tactics like drinking more water etc etc. I work out about 4 or 5 times per week at the gym (mix of cardio, strength, classes and swimming) burning approx 400-500 cals a time. I don't have an HRM (and can't afford one at the moment) so take my cals burned from MFP or from the gym machines.

Gym machines especially are notorious for giving a large overestimate of calories burned. The MFP exercise burns are generally a bit high too. I usually estimate the real burn to be about 2/3 of what MFP tells me -- and that's on something easier to calculate, like running at a steady pace. Other activities are much more nebulous, especially things tracked as general aerobics, weightlifting, etc. because there are too many variables.

It sounds like everything else you're doing is great, so maybe try only eating back like 1/2 of your exercise calories and see what happens! Good luck. x
  • jmirabel13
    jmirabel13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your thyroid? I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, it seriously impacts your metabolism and causes weight gain. I had tried everything, even Weight Watchers, working out religiously and the scale didn't budge. Might be worth a try, otherwise you could be spinning your wheels.
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    By just a quick glance of your diary, I would considerably cut back on the wine. Three and a half bottles in four days is a lot and it's not just about the calories. Your body burns the alcohol before anything else, which means it's not burning calories. You don't have to give it up (we all our own little something), but I would try to cut back by at least half. Good luck & don't give up no matter how frustrated you might get!
  • Becks20vt
    Becks20vt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I understand how frustrating it is to feel like you aren't making any progress due to the weight on the scales. For me, the best way to stay motivated was to step off them for a bit and weigh in every couple of weeks instead. By staying strict on the healthy eating and exercising i did finally lose more but it needs a closer look at what it is you are actually eating. I changed to porridge for breakfast, soup for lunch and a portion of protein and salad for dinner and saw real results. I'm in Scotland too if you want to be friends?
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You are probably gaining MUSCLE weight, rather than fat weight if you are still slimming, but maintaining the same weight. Which is actually a really good thing. If you are looking to just lose weight, don't do as much strength training and switch up your routine. Your body gets used to the same old routine day in and day out. Try doing your routine backwards, or up your weights, or push harder, switch your 'off' days. I hope you get the results you are looking for.
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi Melanie,
    I'm having the same problem! Fortunately I'm also having the same success with inches lost, but just like you the weight isn't budging, and I'm about at the same time period as you as well. People keep telling me that I'm probably losing fat and gaining muscle, which probably isn't far from the truth, and I'm hoping that at some point the scale will start budging. What I'm going to try to do is not record my non-cardio exercising, ie. abs work, lifting, maybe even yoga. I'm wondering if that might help as currently I'm also trying to eat all my exercise calories, and I wonder if that is hurting me a little in the weight loss department. Anyway, I looked at your diary and it looks like you're doing all the right things. I would agree with the previous poster that perhaps you should add Sodium to your list of nutrients you track, as I know that I tend to go over on sodium as well and I've been trying to keep it down.

But best of luck, and I hope for both of our sakes that the weight starts dropping soon!!
  • mrsfoose
    Options
    Honestly, you're eating way too many processed foods and white carbs. There is a lacking of fresh fruits and veggies which are so important in making you feel full and your body needs them. I also noticed that your water is lacking. Not drinking enough can actually cause your body to store water and processed foods will cause an inflammatory response in your body and slow your digestion down causing further bloating. Try eating as many raw fruits and veggies as you can handle for a few days and see if you don't see and feel a difference.
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It is becoming very frustrating that I am putting all this work in and seeing no difference on the scales. I have lost an inch around waist and 3/4 inch around bust but I am really doing this to lose weight not stay the same weight!!

Not losing weight is really frustrating me as I seem to be doing all the right things.........can anyone help?? I don't want to have to go back to a "diet club" - it is too expensive for a start off!

Thanks in advance for your replies..........

It is extremely frustrating to the point of just making you give up, however do not give up.

The same thing happened to me, I was a size 14 and now waffling between a 6 and an 8. And I have not lost very much weight at all, to the point I don't like telling people how much I weigh. But I look great, my clothes look good on me. I have completely and utterly stoped weighing myself except once a month. Now I measure and try on clothes to see my success.

Ask yourself this, would you rather be 130lbs and a size 14 OR 150-160lbs and a size 8? Want to be easy to pick up or want to look good, those are your two realistic choices.

And drink a ton of water seriously, make yourself like plain old water.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I know you're frustrated, but you're on the right track. Have you been taking any vitamins and minerals in addition to your diet? When we put ourselves in a calorie deficit, we don't get all the vits/mins we need. A good daily supplement with iron, in addition to calcium w/vitamin D as well as essential fatty acids (omega 3, 6, & 9) will go a long way to giving your body the tools it needs to lose weight.

I've tried eating lean cuisines (prepared meal) as a meal substitute, but I've abandoned them since they are so high in preservatives and sodium. They're tasty and make life really convenient, but not at that cost. To make my nutrition much easier to manage, I plan out a weekly menu. I eat the same thing, more or less, each day depending on my weight training schedule. Then I take one day a week to cook or prepare all of the food I'm going to need for the week.

It might benefit you to see how much a consultation with a personal trainer might cost you at your gym. Even just talking to one of them will give you a MUCH better idea of how to structure your workouts so that you're getting the most from them. Lifting weights is essential and talking to a coach or trainer will help you develop a routine. If you can afford that, I recommend this plan: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html All you need is a gym membership, lol. Check it out and see what I mean when I say that weight training is essential. You can do it, you just need the right tools, and I KNOW how frustrating it can be to see no progress at all as you fumble with trying anything and everything you can. Good luck to you!!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    your carb intake is quite high. one day you had bread, chickpeas AND a jacket potato.

reduce your carb intake and increase your protein and see how that works for you
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Sodium watch is a GREAT idea. Also - try eating half your exercise calories - leaving some for "error rate". Those machines and definately the MFP "averages" are not accurate. I have an HRM and understand you cannot purchase right now. They are worth it - but even with an HRM I leave some calories. If you do not have a food scale - watch your portions. 3 oz is about the size of a deck of playing cards or a normal size bar of soap. Good luck!
  • daly29
    Options
    I Started using this a month ago and have lost 7 pounds so far I combine it with 2 dog walks a day 5 days a week and 5 sessions a week on an Eliptical trainer. I scan all the foods I eat now and log them and it works OK let me know how you go on and if you need any support just add me as a friend I will try to help

Good luck
  • Andylee63
    Andylee63 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Please do not go to a diet club. They are not worth it.

I am on The Biggest Loser Club on line. And although I have lost 3stone in 3 months, I put it all down to eating healthy and exercise...

I have joined MFP because my subscription to The Biggest Loser runs out in the new year.
    Yes, they have some good reading topics and some good recipe's, but that is about it.
    All you have to do is stick to your calorie allowance.
    They don't tell you that you ave to eat back what you have burned because the whole point is losing weight..

Why eat back what you have burned?
    What is the point in exercising if you are just going to put those calories back in to your system...

The way I have lost my weight is by eating less (Portion Control) and counting my calories and trying not to go over them..
    I try to burn at least 3500 calories per week or more..
    It takes 3500calories to burn 1lb of fat... That is a fact..

The recommended amount of time for exercise is 10hrs per week..
    This doesn't mean you have to stay in the gym or exercise for 10 hrs, it also includes walking and housework etc etc..
    Staying focused and motivated is about the hardest thing along with temptation..

One last thing to add.
    If you are not moving, you are not losing..

Keep going, and keep positive..
    You will lose it
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    I have had similar experiences - and it is hard to stay at the diet without results. Kdos for you for your persistence.

What was a major breakthrough for me was to learn that I had to manage both my calorie and carb intake in order to lose weight, and that my carb target had to be reduced to 10% of my calorie intake. This is significantly lower (about half) than the default carb setting. It appears that you are already pretty low in carbs, a few minor changes an you could be there.

And, if I ate all of my exercise calories, as estimated by this site, I would be gaining several pounds a week.