Protein shakes vs healthy proteins

Options

Replies

• Almiel
    Almiel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i highly doubt you'll BUILD muscle without eating meat and without taking protein shakes. You MIGHT lose fat and keep the muscle you have, but you won't build (as in go in a calorie surplus) and get all your protein from 2nd tier sources.

That's a load of bull$#!+ … check out veganbodybuilding.org.

I also read, "Unless you are needing immediate muscle glycogen replenishment for the next day of training (athletes), you don’t need that immediate post workout shake/meal." --http://www.theiflife.com/how-much-protein-per-day-build-muscle
  • glaucaster
    Options
    Alot of great comments here, however please take some of these for what they are worth. the basics are:

1. you need protien to build muscle, period...its not my opinion, its basic genetics. doesnt matter where it comes from, it matters the amount and what you are trying to accomplish. protien shakes are convenient but the protien contained in them is easily substituted for with all natural, low sugar options, if you have the time. you dont necassarily need meat, but there are different types of protien and appropriate times to use them
    2. lean muscle burns calories up to 4x that of moderate cardio. lean muscle uses much more energy for fuel.
    3. rest and hydration are the second key factors in building muscle...when you work out, you break down muscles, the repair process is where the gains are realized.
    4. there are a million web sites that explain all of this. please if you are novice, dont post your opinion, please back it up with factual data so we can all benefit as a comunity.

happy lifting
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    i highly doubt you'll BUILD muscle without eating meat and without taking protein shakes. You MIGHT lose fat and keep the muscle you have, but you won't build (as in go in a calorie surplus) and get all your protein from 2nd tier sources.

ALL vegan bodybuilders use protein supplements (hemp, pea, etc.) . The page you listed confirms that.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    2. lean muscle burns calories up to 4x that of moderate cardio. lean muscle uses much more energy for fuel.

Not true at all. Adding 10lbs of lean mass will burn the caloric equivalent of about 5minutes of moderate cardio.

http://weightology.net/?p=192
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to eat enough protein and stay under your calorie allotment. At least for me it is. Not impossible but difficult.
  • glaucaster
    Options

Not true at all. Adding 10lbs of lean mass will burn the caloric equivalent of about 5minutes of moderate cardio.

Resistance weight training builds more lean muscle tissue, which results in a higher metabolism for 24 hours a day. Here’s how it does it.

Firstly, while you are doing the resistance weight training, your body is doing work and tearing down your lean muscle tissue, which raises your heart rate and your metabolism. (Believe me, when you train with the right amount of weight, and take 30 seconds to 1-minute rests in between each set, you will definitely feel your heart rate).

Secondly, after weight training, which tore down your muscle fibers, your body rebuilds those muscles on your non-training days and at rest. And while your body is repairing those muscles, your body is working harder, which raises your resting metabolic rate.

Thirdly, after your muscle tissue has repaired and rebuilt itself, you now have even more lean muscle tissue. And we know that muscles are metabolically active, meaning they generate more body heat and burn more calories all of the time.

so in summary, when you lift appropriately, you burn calories all day...when you run, you burn calories during tha activity and post the activity, until you heart rate returns to normal..
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Resistance weight training builds more lean muscle tissue, which results in a higher metabolism for 24 hours a day. Here’s how it does it.

Firstly, while you are doing the resistance weight training, your body is doing work and tearing down your lean muscle tissue, which raises your heart rate and your metabolism. (Believe me, when you train with the right amount of weight, and take 30 seconds to 1-minute rests in between each set, you will definitely feel your heart rate).

Secondly, after weight training, which tore down your muscle fibers, your body rebuilds those muscles on your non-training days and at rest. And while your body is repairing those muscles, your body is working harder, which raises your resting metabolic rate.

You get an increase in RMR from any exercise.
    Thirdly, after your muscle tissue has repaired and rebuilt itself, you now have even more lean muscle tissue. And we know that muscles are metabolically active, meaning they generate more body heat and burn more calories all of the time.

About 6 calories per pound, whoopee.
    so in summary, when you lift appropriately, you burn calories all day...when you run, you burn calories during tha activity and post the activity, until you heart rate returns to normal..

Nope.

EPOC is elevated after all exercise, to some degree. It's higher after high-intensity work than low-intensity, but not significantly.

LaForgia J et. al. Effects of exercise intensity and duration on the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. J Sports Sci. 2006 Dec;24(12):1247-64.

Recovery from a bout of exercise is associated with an elevation in metabolism referred to as the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). A number of investigators in the first half of the last century reported prolonged EPOC durations and that the EPOC was a major component of the thermic effect of activity. It was therefore thought that the EPOC was a major contributor to total daily energy expenditure and hence the maintenance of body mass. Investigations conducted over the last two or three decades have improved the experimental protocols used in the pioneering studies and therefore have more accurately characterized the EPOC. Evidence has accumulated to suggest an exponential relationship between exercise intensity and the magnitude of the EPOC for specific exercise durations. Furthermore, work at exercise intensities >or=50-60% VO2max stimulate a linear increase in EPOC as exercise duration increases. The existence of these relationships with resistance exercise at this stage remains unclear because of the limited number of studies and problems with quantification of work intensity for this type of exercise. Although the more recent studies do not support the extended EPOC durations reported by some of the pioneering investigators, it is now apparent that a prolonged EPOC (3-24 h) may result from an appropriate exercise stimulus (submaximal: >or=50 min at >or=70% VO2max; supramaximal: >or=6 min at >or=105% VO2max). However, even those studies incorporating exercise stimuli resulting in prolonged EPOC durations have identified that the EPOC comprises only 6-15% of the net total oxygen cost of the exercise. But this figure may need to be increased when studies utilizing intermittent work bouts are designed to allow the determination of rest interval EPOCs, which should logically contribute to the EPOC determined following the cessation of the last work bout. Notwithstanding the aforementioned, the earlier research optimism regarding an important role for the EPOC in weight loss is generally unfounded. This is further reinforced by acknowledging that the exercise stimuli required to promote a prolonged EPOC are unlikely to be tolerated by non-athletic individuals. The role of exercise in the maintenance of body mass is therefore predominantly mediated via the cumulative effect of the energy expenditure during the actual exercise.
  • subeesh77
    subeesh77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb whey protein does not have any sugar and carbs in it. Each scoop contains 30 grams proteins. I make a shake using banana and 0% milk, post workout. I was told that protein shakes are the fastest way to supply the necessary amino acids required to rebuild the torn muscle tissues post work out. I have also tried the Body Fortress Advanced from Walmart and it is cheaper than the Previous one I mentioned. It has 1 gram of Sugar and 2 grams of Carbs. I tried getting protein from Vegetables like Chick Peas , Beans etc but because of High Fibre contents I had gas problems . So I had to eat Egg whites /Chicken / Fish to get the sufficient amount of protein through the day.

Note: Our Body can consume only 26 grams of protein per meal and rest will pass through as waste. So taking too much protein in one meal does not help . Protein should be taken in each meal throughout the day.
  • glaucaster
    Options
    Ron, great post and while i agree with everything you have posted so far, i think we are both sort of missing the point. since this is primarily a woman dominated site, we are trying to educate everyone on the topic. me and ron are comparing apples and oranges, since we have not described duration, intensity, rest, etc. so here is a site that looks at a few of those. ***the important part of all this is to exercise, get enough nutrients and rest for consistent weight reduction.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/cardio-vs-strength-training-workouts
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Note: Our Body can consume only 26 grams of protein per meal and rest will pass through as waste. So taking too much protein in one meal does not help . Protein should be taken in each meal throughout the day.

That is false.
  • johnlewismodel
    Options
    I switch back and forth between MRM 100% all natural whey ( I order it online from www.mrm-usa.com)
    and "Synergy" sustained release protein. I probab;y wont buy the syngery again tho.

The body fortress whey protein available at wal mart isnt bad and fairly inexpepensive

Whey protein can be the cheapest. If it has added sugar thats a bonus. That body fortress stuff is fine trust me.
    Its like putting racing car fuel in a ford mondeo. It doesn't matter really.
    The more you do and when you get elite fit as in competitions then worry about quality and then just cut out protein powder at that point. And if your dieting.

People focus on silly things.

One tip my trainer always tells me is. You don't always need the best food or gym - you just need to turn up. So any protein will do - get one that tastes nice. and try to eat fresh too. Eggs are about as good as you can get. Chickens nice and fat freeish.

I've had some expensive ones and they don't make any diffference unless your diet it spot on and i mean really bang on. Even I don't know how to get a diet that spot on i normally fail. But keep going.

I often mess up but just count it as a blip.

Go for it. Have what you want!!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Care to quantify that? I'd like to know. I take 2 scoops on ON whey for 48g of protein at a shot
  • johnlewismodel
    Options

That is false.

You can absorb more after a workout with added carbs.
    But in general the commom thought for an average is about 30g in one go.

Its silly things like worrying about this that get people wound up. Go to the gym do a bit, have a shake with some carbs in it, then eat meat and veg. If bulking its that simple.

If your dieting then i;m not goignthere it gets complicated.
  • johnlewismodel
    Options
    Care to quantify that? I'd like to know. I take 2 scoops on ON whey for 48g of protein at a shot

Thats a big shot. It'll be fine.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    again I meant the sugar that we have in the protein shakes or carbohydrates not the protein it self :) and yes I gained a lot since I live in USA as unfortunately most product is loaded with sugar over here even the whole wheat bread and so on. What I did I started to make my own bread and pasta and things that I could have moderated and started to lose weight and so did my husband :) I don't need any other proof the minute we stopped eating whole wheat things that we bought from the store and I started to moderate the fat started to melt away. I am sure there are some product which is better I don't say that all the product is bad, but most of it. Also hunger comes from the insulin and insulin raises by eating sugary things :) Since I avoided these I never feel hungry :))
    yes that's why I was wondering why do we need proteins which are mostly loaded with sugars. Sugar and carbohydrates raises your insulin which will make the fat store instead of burning and we will have hunger, eating more and slowing down the metabolism so you will lose weight slower or even gain weight.

Your knowledge of nutrition is faulty. Most proteins are insulinogenic. Which means they can raise insulin without the presence of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates is not the only thing that raises insulin. The body can store fat even when insulin levels are low! Are you also saying that eating carbs in a caloric deficit slows weight loss or causes weight gain? Not sure if serious.
  • DKBelle
    Options
    Which product you recommend?
    Thanks
    You can buy unsweetened protein mix and add it to your oatmeal and such. :) I just ordered some today because I don't want all the extra sugar and artificial sweetners just mess your body up.
  • DKBelle
    Options
    awesome, thanks a lot

I also read, "Unless you are needing immediate muscle glycogen replenishment for the next day of training (athletes), you don’t need that immediate post workout shake/meal." --http://www.theiflife.com/how-much-protein-per-day-build-muscle
  • DKBelle
    Options
    awesome, thanks a lot

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't terrible, but you have to make sure you're getting one with quality protein and little sugar and fat. If you choose to drink them, which I think is fine, you just need to be picky about what brand you use.

I've been on the fence about if I want to try whey protein shakes. You can definitely build muscle without them though.