Getting into the exercise thing . . .

Options
Hubby and I decided to get a recumbent bike and keep it in our large living room. Every evening we work out, one after the other, while watching TV or listening to music. I love it! It's a Schwinn 240 - very quiet and very smooth motion, no matter what speed you are going.

I also signed up for a low-impact aerobics class offered here at work during lunch hour. It's for people who have been away from exercise for a long time, or, like me, have physical limitations. I wake up at night with my left leg, from hip to knee aching like a toothache, but I'm going to hang in there and hope that passes. I'm trying . . . I'm trying . . . I'm trying.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The soreness (and in my case leg cramps) will get better and better. You will find that you actually miss working out. I use walking DVDs & feel like I will exercise regularly (finally) .... for the rest of my life.

Keep up the good work!
  • wendylee01
    Options
    Hi I was a physical mess 9 weeks ago. I've had 2 hip replacements one that has not healed as well as I would like, a torn rotator cuff and just general aches and pains.

I started walking at work on the top floor of our building with a co-worker as part of a Biggest Loser contest. We started with 7 laps (equals 1 km) and for 14 days added one more lap, so we're up to 3 km (1.9miles)

My mobility is much better, I don't ache like I used to, and my shoulder is even much better. On top of that with watching what I eat I've knocked of 20 lbs.

The contest is over and I'm still walking every day, getting quicker and quicker and trying to add a few more laps.

It sounds like you found something that is working for you, keep it going it doesn't have to kill you to be effect, I'm proof of that.
  • dpowell58
    dpowell58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think its great that you have found something that you enjoy doing. It sure makes it easier to keep up the exercise. I'm a teacher and I always made the excuse that after school I was just too exhausted to work out and I was NOT going to give up what little sleep I get to get up earlier to work out. So this summer, when I could no longer make excuses I started walking on my treadmill. I started at 30 minutes a day and then worked up to 45. I too, had pains in my legs (hips, knees, ankles, feet) and sometimes just felt like giving up. By the time school started, exercise had become a routine and most of my pain was gone. Now it is easy to go home after school, change into my workout clothes and get busy. I actually look forward to working out. And at this point I even get a little antsy on my day off, feeling the need to get moving.