Warrior Dash - can I do this?!

Options
I've wanted to do a Warrior Dash for a while now and just saw that one is in my area (or at least in my state!) in June 2012... so I figured I'd get a jump on my new year's resolutions and I signed up for it!! I know there's plenty of time to prep for it and now it gives me a specific goal to work towards... but now I'm wondering how is the best way to prep for this? Anyone do one of these before and have any advice how to prepare for it??

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i did Rugged Maniac back on Nov 19th. it was awesome. in august i was 251 lbs. i started biking, running, strength training, dropping weight. if i could prepare in 3 months, you can too.
  • jenlewis0228
    Options
    I just did it in South Florida on 12/03/11 - we had a BLAST!!! It's much more of a mental challenge than a physical one! Don't get me wrong you should train for it - running is a must and weight training for upper body strength! I have been doing kickboxing and weight training 5-6 days a week for about 6 months - and I thought it was definitely doable... my 2 best friends have not been working out and we all managed to finish it together... My one friend skipped one of the obstacles. Approaching the more scary obstacles - I would think - OH MY - how am I going to do this, and then afterwards I would think - that looked harder than it really was!!! That's why I say more mental than physical... I think you should go for it! Get a group of friends and have a great time!! I recommend wearing some weight lifting gloves too for the ropes! :)
  • mjawesome
    mjawesome Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    um...YES YOU CAN! it rocks, its awesome! I did it and so can u!
  • cfreema
    cfreema Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some friends and I just signed up for one in our area for 2012 too! The warrior dash website has a training program that is 12 weeks long to prepare you for it. We plan on starting that in May. A friend of ours did it last year and she said the important thing was to get the ability to run a 5k. so practice running, and if you got that down you should survive!
  • BuxomBella3D
    Options
    i am chubby & out of shape... and i was able to do warrior dash this past august. it's definitely a mental thing more than a physical thing (i went around two obstacles b/c i am TERRIFIED of heights) but so much fun. my two friends and i did it together to have fun so we walked at a brisk pace instead of running because none of us like to run... and we were just as proud of finishing at the end as if we'd run full out.
    just have fun with it!!
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    You can totally do it! Especially with so much time to prepare. it's a blast and honestly the obstacles are basically novelty for most people. Make sure you can run the distance...C25K is a good to help with that. Then make sure you are targeting exercises to help clear the challenges. Jumping, pulling your body weight up, and basic agility/coordination is all you really need to really excel.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    they really are more for fun than as a serious athletic event. Here is my blog on the most recent one i did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/warrior-dash-2k11-83643

as far as training, running does help since the races are anywhere from 2.5-3.5 miles and some ability to climb a rope ladder, crawl under barbed wire, swim over slippery logs, and to jump over fire is important.

have fun!
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I did my first last September and it was awesome! I am doing another one in April to see if I can improve on my time. Its so much fun and so empowering! Just knowing that you did it and that you finished is amazing, no matter how long it takes. And it goes in waves so its not like if you take a long time that you'll be the last one to finish. you should go for it!

BTW: if its the one in Morris, OK I might be there for that one too!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    OF COURSE you can do this!!!! there's plenty of time to train - and it doesnt matter where you are in your goals by the time it rolls around, youre a lot closer than you were so youll kick a*s for sure!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I did it in September at 270+ lbs. It took me twice the amount of time as my friends, but I finished. And I had a blast doing it.

It can be intimidating, but mostly once you are there it's an awesome time. My advice (based on ONE time) for training is running, upper arm strength and as someone else mentioned, gloves help. Especially when you come out of the water and have to climb a rope!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did it last summer and it is tough. I think you need a combo of strength training and cardio. The mud was first, though, and I pretty much hated completing the rest of it while mud was drying all over my body.
    My tip: pin your number to your shorts and take off your shirt (um, wear another shirt underneath:tongue:) and throw it away after the mud, and wear close-fitting clothes, the mud is really heavy and really weighs down anything loose-fitting.
    you can walk any part of the course, of course, but someone told me you could skip obstacles, like, walk around them, and you can't. they have people there to make sure you don't just go around the obstacles.
    You can't really train for it (I just don't see where I could practice the kinds of obstacles they have!), except to be as fit and strong as you can be, but I definitely psyched myself up for it and didn't think it was as bad as I was imagining.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice!! :happy: I just saw the training schedules on the website which look like they are gonna be a HUGE help. Some of the obstacles do look a little intimidating though!
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I did it in September at 270+ lbs. It took me twice the amount of time as my friends, but I finished. And I had a blast doing it.

It can be intimidating, but mostly once you are there it's an awesome time. My advice (based on ONE time) for training is running, upper arm strength and as someone else mentioned, gloves help. Especially when you come out of the water and have to climb a rope!

and you could see the joy, happiness and accomplishment on auntie's face in her pictures wehn she finished!!! *wipes tear from eyes from being so proud of her auntie*
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My tip: pin your number to your shorts and take off your shirt (um, wear another shirt underneath:tongue:) and throw it away after the mud, and wear close-fitting clothes, the mud is really heavy and really weighs down anything loose-fitting.

I didnt even think about the mud vs clothing! Thanks for the tip!
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    I did it last summer and it is tough. I think you need a combo of strength training and cardio. The mud was first, though, and I pretty much hated completing the rest of it while mud was drying all over my body.
    you can walk any part of the course, of course, but someone told me you could skip obstacles, like, walk around them, and you can't. they have people there to make sure you don't just go around the obstacles.
    You can't really train for it (I just don't see where I could practice the kinds of obstacles they have!), except to be as fit and strong as you can be, but I definitely psyched myself up for it and didn't think it was as bad as I was imagining.

I'm not sure where you did yours, but mine was in OK and you were definitely able to skip an obstacle if you needed to. There was one that you couldn't just b/c it was part of the trail (pulling yourself up a hill), but the rest you could. I attempted 100% of the obstacles but some I just couldn't do at my weight and level of strength. There were 3 I had to skip after trying them. But I tried, and was d@mn proud of that.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Also if you go to youtube and search on Warrior Dash in your area, most likely someone has posted a video showing the course. Just so you have an idea!
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Warrior Dash in Mississippi next April. I've never ran one, but can't wait for this event. I'm not sure how to really train for it, but I completed C25K earlier this year and I think that will be a big help. Good luck and have fun!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options

I'm not sure where you did yours, but mine was in OK and you were definitely able to skip an obstacle if you needed to. There was one that you couldn't just b/c it was part of the trail (pulling yourself up a hill), but the rest you could. I attempted 100% of the obstacles but some I just couldn't do at my weight and level of strength. There were 3 I had to skip after trying them. But I tried, and was d@mn proud of that.
    I was in Breckenridge CO. I think they invalidated your time or something if you skipped an obstacle, but I don't know for sure. You should be damn proud, it's not like there was some kind of prize and you were cheating, you just challenge yourself and do what you can do! it's not about what other people can do.
  • Kristy1214
    Options
    I'm scheduled to do this in May... gulp.
  • jojowink
    jojowink Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i just registered myself for the Channahon, IL one!!! thanks to all for the good advice- going to have to remember all this!! good luck to (us) all!!