Help please - Only Lost 1lb since starting this 40 days ago!

Options

Replies

• dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to try and remember to input your veggies too, and be more careful about measuring/accurately counting your calories eaten. Along with that, perhaps you could double-check your calorie burns. MFP and cardio machines are not terribly accurate. I have found that the calorie calculator on fitnessfrog.com comes up with estimates much closer to the amounts given by my BodyBugg. You are doing quite well, but maybe you aren't getting quite the calorie deficit that you think. If you firm up the numbers and make sure you get the 500 calorie per day deficit (or 3500 per week - I like to average mine to have some wiggle room during the week), you will lose 1 lb per week more consistently.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    There are o many good hints above as far as eating healthier. The thing is, for weight loss, it's mostly about calories. I started about where you are, and I'm your height. I lost all my weight and more simply by counting calories. I did not cut any type of food out, just used portion control, moderation and exercise to balance my calories in/calories out.

I would agree that any calories burned that come from an exercise machine are WAY TOO HIGH!!!! Sometimes almost two times what my HRM says. So use the MFP values, and don't eat all your calories back. I always tried to leave 100 calores "on the table" just to compensate for my diary not being 100% accurate.

The weight will come off. Just keep on going!
  • OregonCountryGirl
    Options
    I took a quick look at your food and was thinking that maybe you should try to track sodium and sugar!!! This might help you as it has really helped me to see why I felt tired all the time and why I was not losing any weight!! Hope this helps, keep up the good work! Good things really do come to those who are consistant and NEVER give up!!!!
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I hear you. It is so frustrating to be "spinning your wheels."

Since you have been at this now for well over a month, I would say that your math is wrong. You seem to be getting plenty of exercise (the output side of the equation) so the problem must be with the food intake (the input side of the equation.) It's really is simple math. Burn more calories (either with exercise or just normal living) than you take in = weight loss.

My guess is that you are taking in more calories than you think, or your lifestyle is not as active as you think, or both. If you are only set to lose 1 lb per week, all things being equal, you need to have a deficit of approx. 3,500 calories for the week. That's 500 per day. If you are "guesstimating" or eating in restaurants, it would be so easy to consume that 500 calories without even knowing it.

I am also short and female, and I find I cannot eat my exercise calories. Period. End of story. Works for some, not for me. I'll stay the same weight forever. So, I exercise and restrict my calories to 1200, no matter how much I burn.
  • bryan_hill_af
    Options
    I see the problem right off. Too many bad carbs, the calorie counters seems off on the database, potatoes are high starchy carb calories, and it seems way low to me. I have an experiment for you. Eliminate all bread/ pasta from your diet for two weeks and fill them with "green leafy" and "high water" vegetables. Spiniach/ spring salads, romaine lettuse, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, pickles. If you do that I can guarantee about 5 pounds in two weeks. If you don't see any improvement let me know. Alot of people are stuck to the old school "food pyramid" where bread and grains/ high starch is the staple of our diet, when people worked alot harder. Well, maybe if your a manual laborer or farmer/athlete with hardcore calorie deficits you need all that. But for most people these days nutrional neccesity is key. Stop bread. I drop wieght very quickly, what I do is eliminate bread/sugar/fat from my diet and replace them with vegetables/fruit/protien. It works crazy good and I feel super energized after a week. i saw alot of bad carbs in your diet...trade them for veggies and watch the wieght drop off.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration, but I want to tell you that you are WINNING because you are still trying. Its my experience from reading these boards over several months that there are certain things that work great for some folks, but not so great for other folks. Part of the journey is trial and error...and giving something enough chance to determine whether its working or not.

On the "eating back exercise calories" thing. I would eat back only half of the exercise calories and see what happens. I make this suggestion for 2 reasons. First, the MFP calorie burn estimate is just that, an estimate and based on reading several MFP topics about it...I think the MFP estimate can be as much as 50% too high (though, more often 20-30% too high). Soooo...if you have been eating back ALL of the MFP estimated calories burned, you are probably eating too much to create a deficit because you probably didn't burn all of those estimated calories (by the way, same is true for the calorie estimate on a fitness machine...though that number usually isn't as over-stated). The second reason for this suggestion is because I know I've seen several members post success with eating back just half of the exercise calories (and that's in cases where they have a HRM and generate an accurate number).

On the exercise thing, I would recommend scaling back to 3 days a week, no more than 45 minutes each day, and focusing on cardio work for now. More exercise is usually not the answer...especially when you are newer to exercise.

Some folks (me) don't do as well with bread products and too many complex carbs. I know when I limit my carbs to fruits and veggies primarily, I do better. Again, this is something that I know works for me through trial and error...and I know other MFP members have posted something similar.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. I started at 118 lbs two months ago and have only gotten down to 116. My goal is set at 1200 calories, though I might go as high as 1600 a couple times a week. I have alcohol and sweets in moderation, but otherwise I think I eat pretty well. I'm not a big exerciser so I don't think I'm gaining muscle (however, I bike to work most days and walk a fair amount).

My diary's open if anyone wants to take a look and tell me where the problem is.
  • skb135
    skb135 Posts: 11
    Options
    I know you're frustrated, but you're on the right track. Have you been taking any vitamins and minerals in addition to your diet? When we put ourselves in a calorie deficit, we don't get all the vits/mins we need. A good daily supplement with iron, in addition to calcium w/vitamin D as well as essential fatty acids (omega 3, 6, & 9) will go a long way to giving your body the tools it needs to lose weight.

I've tried eating lean cuisines (prepared meal) as a meal substitute, but I've abandoned them since they are so high in preservatives and sodium. They're tasty and make life really convenient, but not at that cost. To make my nutrition much easier to manage, I plan out a weekly menu. I eat the same thing, more or less, each day depending on my weight training schedule. Then I take one day a week to cook or prepare all of the food I'm going to need for the week.

It might benefit you to see how much a consultation with a personal trainer might cost you at your gym. Even just talking to one of them will give you a MUCH better idea of how to structure your workouts so that you're getting the most from them. Lifting weights is essential and talking to a coach or trainer will help you develop a routine. If you can afford that, I recommend this plan: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html All you need is a gym membership, lol. Check it out and see what I mean when I say that weight training is essential. You can do it, you just need the right tools, and I KNOW how frustrating it can be to see no progress at all as you fumble with trying anything and everything you can. Good luck to you!!

://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html how much is this?
  • rddefurio
    Options
    You may have just hit a plateau in your weight loss. I sat at 240 pounds for awhile before I started losing weight again (thanks MFP!) The biggest key to your success is to not get frustrated and discouraged. Keep going, no matter what obstacles are thrown your way and even if you don't reach the goals you've set for yourself.

As far as the food goes, try seeing a nutrionist (do as I say, not as I do! :smile: ). My friend lost 120 pounds in a little over a year by regularly seeing one and adding vitamins and supplements to help increase metabolism. Along with working out, become more active if you have a desk job. Park further away from the door to force yourself to walk. Instead of using inter-office mail, walk what you need to the person. Walk to ask someone a question. Walk during breaks or lunches. These are small things in general, but they will add up.

Keep up the good work!
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it..you are working out a good bit. That builds muscle and I know a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle (which is pretty silly unless your trying to catch someone in a joke) Muscle is more dense than fat. I have lost 2 lbs I think but my jeans are now 31w from a 34w. You will start losing weight, but I do not eat my exercise calories either. The point is to burn MORE than you put in.
    I also just bought me a food scale and it makes a world of difference. Also, veggies aren't FREE. Keep in mind..everything has calories just about. Fat does not make you fat, excessive calories does. So put the goods fats in your diet and stay away from fat free, etc. Also, limit your carbs. Just eat carbs after a strength training session. when your muscles need the carbs to rebuild. There is so many hidden carbs. I put 1/4 cup rolled oats in my post workout shake then stay away from them mostly. Except for a cheat MEAL (not day) every 2 weeks or so.

Just my two cents... GOOD LUCK !!
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I see the problem right off. Too many bad carbs, the calorie counters seems off on the database, potatoes are high starchy carb calories, and it seems way low to me. I have an experiment for you. Eliminate all bread/ pasta from your diet for two weeks and fill them with "green leafy" and "high water" vegetables. Spiniach/ spring salads, romaine lettuse, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, pickles. If you do that I can guarantee about 5 pounds in two weeks. If you don't see any improvement let me know. Alot of people are stuck to the old school "food pyramid" where bread and grains/ high starch is the staple of our diet, when people worked alot harder. Well, maybe if your a manual laborer or farmer/athlete with hardcore calorie deficits you need all that. But for most people these days nutrional neccesity is key. Stop bread. I drop wieght very quickly, what I do is eliminate bread/sugar/fat from my diet and replace them with vegetables/fruit/protien. It works crazy good and I feel super energized after a week. i saw alot of bad carbs in your diet...trade them for veggies and watch the wieght drop off.

Good advice.
  • normh545
    normh545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    you eat more than me, you eat lots of snacks, cut out crisps and nibbles just for 2 weeks and see if there is a loss
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    First congratulations on your progress.
    Please, don't fixate on weight so much as measurements, and make sure your food intake is up while calorie burn rate is true and correct.

Also, here is a site to help determine Body Fat: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

I wish you well; you can do it!
  • mslovelady
    mslovelady Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One thing that I would recommend to you is this website called ezmeals.com. They have an affordable meal plan its 15.00 for three months of meal plans that have a lot of produce and protien. The food tastses great and I would highly recommend it in the fact that you will eat more at home and get full quicker and be less likely to snack on junk food.

maddy
  • melinda6569
    Options
    I was wondering if you have looked into the Olivia Method. Check it out she has a blog on here. She has a whole new way of figuring out how many calories you should be eating..
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I know you're frustrated, but you're on the right track. Have you been taking any vitamins and minerals in addition to your diet? When we put ourselves in a calorie deficit, we don't get all the vits/mins we need. A good daily supplement with iron, in addition to calcium w/vitamin D as well as essential fatty acids (omega 3, 6, & 9) will go a long way to giving your body the tools it needs to lose weight.

I've tried eating lean cuisines (prepared meal) as a meal substitute, but I've abandoned them since they are so high in preservatives and sodium. They're tasty and make life really convenient, but not at that cost. To make my nutrition much easier to manage, I plan out a weekly menu. I eat the same thing, more or less, each day depending on my weight training schedule. Then I take one day a week to cook or prepare all of the food I'm going to need for the week.

It might benefit you to see how much a consultation with a personal trainer might cost you at your gym. Even just talking to one of them will give you a MUCH better idea of how to structure your workouts so that you're getting the most from them. Lifting weights is essential and talking to a coach or trainer will help you develop a routine. If you can afford that, I recommend this plan: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html All you need is a gym membership, lol. Check it out and see what I mean when I say that weight training is essential. You can do it, you just need the right tools, and I KNOW how frustrating it can be to see no progress at all as you fumble with trying anything and everything you can. Good luck to you!!

://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html how much is this?

This is a free program that is outlined on Bodybuilding.com.... I actually started a thread to do the 12 week program starting with the new year. Anyone is welcome to join and we will become a group closer to the start date. Check it out

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/420606-start-the-new-year-off-right-jamie-eason-s-12-week-progar
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    1-Dec 96
    2-Dec -316
    3-Dec -978
    4-Dec 787
    5-Dec -188
    6-Dec 234
    7-Dec 226
    8-Dec -141
    9-Dec -41
    10-Dec -681
    11-Dec -453
    12-Dec 120
    13-Dec 203
    14-Dec 240

in the last 2 weeks half of the days you are over your calorie counts. Most people estimate thier calories on the low end not accounting for dips, salad dressing, oils and such.
    Try to be more consistant. :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Instesad of just weighing yourself, take a tape measure and see if you are getting results around your arms, hips & stomach. The scale is only 1 indication of health.
  • dbhud
    dbhud Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are exactly correct in your concern. The math has to be off somewhere! If you consume 1500 calories and burn 400-500 in a workout....which is alot!!...then at your beginning weight, you have to lose. So if you are not losing one of the two...either consumption or calories burned is not right.
    I work out on a Schwinn Airdyne regularly and a good workout will be about 600 calories in an hour and that is going at about 16-17 mph or 125 watts so....500 calories is alot unless it is some type of dance/aerobics/spinnig session. I would suggest a spinning session if you have access at your gym. With that you will definitely lose weight and gain muscle.
    Keep it up. The biggest issue is to keep doing the right things and then the weight will come off.

Good Luck!!
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn caculators are too high here. I always log my cycling rides in at slower paces to match my real burn and even then I think they are slightly high. I looked through your daily log and I feel your eating way too much sugar through breads and pasta... Yes whole grains still have high amounts of sugar. If grains are used to fatten up cattle, then how are they healthy for you? Your also eating alot of dairy and this is screwing up your Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio in your body. Cut down on the dairy and up your fish intake or use a fish oil supplement. (We are the only species that consumes milk past our infant stages. Even then we don't even consume our own species milk!! How can that be good for you.) Replace all those grains with vegatables for your carbs. Eat lean proteins. Email if this doesn't make sense or questions.