What to do when your lunch doesn't "satisfy"

Options

Replies

• miss_kisha
    miss_kisha Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    All these responses are good, except the advice to skip breakfast. I usually end up hungrier later if I don't eat any breakfast. A nutritionist told me that even a non fat latte for breakfast is better than nothing at all. What really helps me is to drink a glass of water and talk a walk after eating. Then the food starts to 'go to my brain' :wink:
  • impearative
    Options
    Vegetables and leafy greens make for low calorie snack options. Pick a hearty bread for your sandwich so that it will fill you up more. Also, if you can figure out how many calories you want to spend on lunch, you could try splitting it into two low calorie lunches, maybe about two hours apart (as an earlier poster suggested).
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    Have some green tea and vegetables.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Try adding some raw veggies with or without a low calorie dip (hummus maybe?) or try taking half an apple/orange and a few grapes and making a small fruit salad. Brush your teeth, drink water.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Add some vegetables. They're good for you and can bulk up your meal without adding many calories.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    So I had a "healthy lunch". Turkey slices, 1 slice of cheddar cheese, and a small bowl of soup. I sipped and savored and made it last as long as possible and.....I'm not satisfied. I wouldn't say I'm "hungry" but, I want MORE. Any ideas on what I can do to be more satisfied?

Get used to not being 'full' I guess. If you're not hungry you're okay. It's sometimes hard to differentiate between hunger and craving-- see if you're still hungry in an hour, and if so, have a snack!

PS: I usually skip breakfast, though I wouldn't advise it (I've been told it's unhealthy). I do it because my appetite is rather weak in the morning. I really think of lunch as breakfast. I mean on weekends I have breakfast at 1 pm (due to waking up late!!)
  • Gabbahh
    Options
    You should never skip breakfast, it really is the most important meal of the day.
    This myth needs to go away.

EDIT: Breakfast can actually be a big problem in many cases. Many folks find that it's first when they start to eat for the day, they start to get hungry. If one fast the hunger is usually much more managable when one have gotten settled to it.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Fiber baby! Get some of that in your meal :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less calories than you burn, you're probably gonna be hungry at some point. Suck it up.

What a ****. How about you try being nice?..
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had to give up on the small meals idea.

If I don't have 400 calories or more in a meal, I am doomed to be unsatisfied.

Plan ahead.

The "six small meals" thing never worked for me. Tried it.

I agree... try this. :)
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    It usually helps me to have some plain almonds... 14 nuts is only 80 calories!
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Ostrim jerkey is where its at ...its a low cal high protien snack and it really helps
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten breakfast in a year, am I gunna die?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I've been eating an apple. The chewing and the fiber help to feel full w/o to much calorie penalty
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This time of year my go to when I am not fully satisfied is Celestial Seasons Candy Cane Lane tea. It is THE BEST!
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Add some vegetables. They're good for you and can bulk up your meal without adding many calories.

I absolutely agree with this. Go veggies (but don't skip the meat. Go meat!) lol.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Save up more calories for lunch? Eat less at breakfast or skip it all together.

bad advice...never skip breakfast or else you'll binge at lunch

Totally false. It doesn't matter when you eat, it only matters how many total calories you eat. 400 calories for breakfast and 400 calories for lunch versus 0 calories for breakfast and 800 calories for lunch is the same thing.

right because you haven't eaten since supper the night before, starving yourself is going to totally control your appetite at lunch time. It's still terrible advice...
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    You should never skip breakfast, it really is the most important meal of the day.
    This myth needs to go away.

EDIT: Breakfast can actually be a big problem in many cases. Many folks find that it's first when they start to eat for the day, they start to get hungry. If one fast the hunger is usually much more managable when one have gotten settled to it.

show me some medical facts that eating breakfast is bad for you...
  • VVARELA25
    Options
    Drink a large glass of water, wait 10 min or so to see if your still hungry . If you are i recommend eating a string cheese, a boiled egg or some type of protein.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    It's not that breakfast is bad, it's just that some people aren't hungry for it.

I find that eating breakfast when I'm not hungry actually makes me feel horrible. I am NEVER hungry in the morning!

I get up at 5, have my coffee, but don't eat until 11:30.