Replies

• shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Hellz to the NO!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    No! Raw eggs are not my thing and I'm not big on oatmeal. And I like to save my calories so I have some left later in the day, that would take up more than I'd like for breakfast!
  • andlovesaidn0
    Options
    Salmonella FTW

At least it's not raw chicken
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I like my eggs cooked and I only eat a percentage of yolks (if i have two or three eggs, i eat one yolk) and i like irish steel cut oatmeal with crunchy almond butter in it

Edit: Sorry that was all about me LOL My boss just sent me a messed up proof for a huge account!
  • andlovesaidn0
    Options
    Salmonella FTW

At least it's not raw chicken
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    nope, i find better satiety from whole foods then shakes and as Upon this Rock stated, the protein from raw eggs are less bioavailable then cooked
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Salmonella FTW

This...
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    No. I think safety dictates that chicken placenta be cooked.

bleh, you just made eggs sound disgusting. And I love eggs! lol
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    the protein in raw eggs is less bioavailable

source?

just curious. i don't eat raw (rare beef, but not raw), but i feed my dog raw (eggs, chicken, beef, pork, fish, deer, rabbit, bison, etc) and it was my understanding that, at least for canines, the proteins were more easily and quickly digested, as well as more bioavailable, when raw.
  • Acg67
    Options

source?

just curious. i don't eat raw (rare beef, but not raw), but i feed my dog raw (eggs, chicken, beef, pork, fish, deer, rabbit, bison, etc) and it was my understanding that, at least for canines, the proteins were more easily and quickly digested, as well as more bioavailable, when raw.

Evenepoel et al. Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques. J. Nutr. October 1, 1998 vol. 128 no. 10 1716-1722

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

source?

Evenepoel et al. Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques. J. Nutr. October 1, 1998 vol. 128 no. 10 1716-1722

nice, thanks! that's what i was wondering, too, it was human specific study. i don't think i'd want to be the human test subjects that were fed "heavy" (isotope-labeled) eggs, though, haha.
  • Acg67
    Options

source?

nice, thanks! that's what i was wondering, too, it was human specific study. i don't think i'd want to be the human test subjects that were fed "heavy" (isotope-labeled) eggs, though, haha.

for the specifics
    In this study, it was shown that after ingestion of 25 g of raw egg protein, almost 50% is malabsorbed over 24 h. The higher digestibility of cooked egg protein presumably results from structural changes in the protein molecule induced by heating, thereby enabling the digestive enzymes to gain broader access to the peptide bonds. It has been suggested that the reduced digestibility of raw egg white is at least partially related to the presence of trypsin inhibitors in raw egg white (Matthews 1990). Ovomucoid is quantitatively the most important trypsin inhibitor (Gilbert 1971, Kassell 1970). Ovomucoid, however, does not react with human trypsin and, moreover, is relatively heat stable (Kasell 1970). Whether other egg trypsin inhibitors (e.g., ovoinhibitor or papain inhibitor) interfere with the digestibility of unprocessed egg white protein is unknown.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    No. I think safety dictates that chicken placenta be cooked.

bleh, you just made eggs sound disgusting. And I love eggs! lol

You had to awaken the Food Science monster. :grumble: Chicken embryos do not have placentae (and the eggs humans eat are unfertilized, and are not embryos anyway). The placenta is unique to certain mammals. The white of a chicken egg is called the albumen. :wink:

Freshly laid eggs *should* be sterile. The trick is catching it before it touches anything! There is also a strain of _Salmonella_ that can enter eggs during formation if the flock is diseased, so eat at your own risk. :wink: It takes a very very small number or organisms to induce Salmonellosis.
  • spacedebris
    Options
    Raw chicken ??? No way

Wasn't that the demise of the Neanderthal ?
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    My dad used to drink 3 raw eggs every morning when he was a fire fighter(the eggs were always fresh from my grandparents chickens). He also made my sisters and I chocolate milk blended with raw eggs. I loved it when I was a kid couldn't do it now lol everything else sounds good to me lots of protein and fiber!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    EWWWW! i wouldnt eat that if you payed me!:laugh:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Yes, but I'd substitute the eggs with either more whey or some soy, and I'd add some fruits and maybe some green veggie juice from my juicer.

Why would you sub with more whey? Curious :D
  • puzwuz1
    Options
    That is essentially my morning breakfast every time I workout to get my protein in after my workout and then for a good breakfast that will last me a while through the day. I do cook the eggs though and add spinach.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    nup... raw eggs,i don't do and oats, i'd rather not pretty much unless they are in museli.

i boil up 7 or 8 eggs at a time, and leave them boiled in the frigdge, so i can have a boiled cold egg on the run when i'm feeling ravenous. and often i'll have a diet shake and a boiled egg for breaky, it takes about 2 minutes to make and eat breakfast and be out the door with a full stomach.
  • lowfat270
    Options
    leave out the raw egg. That's a no-no for me. The rest sounds okay