Brought down to earth with a bump :(

Options

Replies

• 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    aw, sweety! that just crushes the heart, doesn't it? we can all see a difference and that difference will continue to become more and more obvious to the world. keep it up, you are brilliant!
  • missbuterfly
    Options
    well Ive lost 118 lbs it took me 16 months to lose 115 then its real slow now. But my mother told me I must have done something wrong cause on the biggest loser they lose it alot faster! Then other people in the family in laws included say rude things also. I use it as fuel! Get my motor goin! Anger and hurt are energies so use that negative energy in a positive way! You are doing amazing learn to be your own cheerleader thats a very hard thing that Ive learned through all of this!:smile:
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You know...sometimes it's the hurtful comments our family makes that gets us in this boat to begin with. I could be 115 lb and my dad would say "you've sure put on a few" when I've lost over 15. You are doing an amazing job and it DOES show, in pictures. IF you think he wouldn't be an *kitten* about it, show him the pictures. I have a man (very nice and supportive) that I work with that knew I"d been working out. He asked how much I've lost and I said 17 lbs. He said "wow, doesn't look like that much." I'm a teacher, so I showed him my school picture that was taken before I started...THEN he could see it. Got a "wow". It's because he hadn't realized I had gained weight over the summer.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I just about teared up when I read this. I'm sure your brother is a great person and all, but wow, you'd think he'd know you well enough to not make an offhand comment like that, and then follow it up with a "just kidding". All I can say is you're doing wonderfully. I *totally* see the 76 pound difference after checking out your pics and you need to keep it up. He didn't help you one bit to lose even 1 pound and he certainly doesn't need to be the one who determines how proud you are of the weight you've lost so far and will continue to lose.

Amazing progress. Keep it up, and get to your goal, since how you feel about yourself and your success so far, is all that matters. Use his "where" as motivation to push it in his face once you get to where you want to be.:heart:
  • EileenGeldard
    Options
    Stoopid man. Your ticker says 76lb lost. Now that you know that is the case and we know that is the case. 76lb is no mean feat. I am truly impressed having just shed 13lbs and know how much that little amount has made me feel better. You must feel fabulous. And you have every right too. I suspect there may have been a bit of jealousy there because you have lost a lot more weight than him. That is his weakness not yours. As they say someone can only bring you down if you let them. You say your mum has made similar dismissive comments. Does the larger sizes run in your family? If so and mum is big too, you losing weight and no longer conforming to the family norm is challenging how they live their lives which might cause negative attitudes to your positive actions. Keep going, you are the one that will gain from this, you are the one that will lose if you don't keep it up. You are doing it for you and your family and no one else.

GOOD LUCK
    XXXX
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    look at it this way, you're almost half way to where you want to be and you're looking and feeling a hell of a lot better. It doesn't matter what others say, you just have to do it for you!
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    on the 2 pictures you post there is a huge difference, but... I noticed that i don't get a lot of comments from people that I see regularly, because they don't see it, while people who haven't seen me in a while see the difference.
    You did great, go on doing what you do, you are on the right way.
  • slbeutler
    Options
    Keep up the good work 76 pounds is huge! Most people cannot even lift that. Also, I can definitely see a difference in your picture, just in your face alone. Your brother is probably like my husband, not very observant. My husband usually doesn't notice until I show him how big my pants are or a side by side picture.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Well, I for one can see the difference!

He probably thought he was being cute/funny...not so much.

You know how far you come and the differences made in your life/body. We can't rely on other people to feel good sometimes, so focus on the positives and count up all the little victories! Put 'em where you can see them and let them and US be your affirmation!
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    The first time I lost weight (I'd dropped about 90 pounds), my best friend I'd known for 12 years began acting weird. She'd get all cheery when I caved into a temptation or gained a trivial amount of weight back (like 1/2 a pound). But as I got closer to my goal, she began to shun me more and more. I hadn't acted different toward her. She was very obese, but I still loved her like the same friend I'd always been. Eventually she stole my boyfriend away and I had had enough. We're no longer friends. I've forgiven her, but I can't have friends I can't trust. It sounds like it might have been the jealousy talking.

I think someone here has already said it: sometimes those closest to us are the absolute WORST supporters. Your life will change in more ways than you know as you lose the weight.

76 pounds is a LOT! Go to the grocery store and try to pick up 76 pounds of ground beef. I bet you can't do it. =p You're doing great!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Maybe karma will bite him in the butt and he will gain back that weight for being such a jerk. Not everyone who loses weight can keep it off either and obviously you have reached 76 pounds already which is amazing compared to his weight loss! Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't real and I can tell from your pics that even your face really shows a dramatic change. It's REALLY hard to feel good when you have a large amount of weight to lose and you see yourself every single day...so you almost never see the changes. However, you are feeling it as you said and that is one of the best victories you can get (I know because at my weight just being able to move better will be wonderful!). Don't let some rude sibling mess it up for you. Keep up the good work!
  • jrojeck
    jrojeck Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Guys are pretty infamous for not noticing things that ladies pick out right away. It's like how they don't notice new haircuts and such unless you point it out. I know how much we value getting support from our family when we're trying verify results in our weight loss but even he'll see it in time. He's just being a guy.

Congratulations on your progress so far! Keep going!
  • jewel6018
    jewel6018 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you had to go through that too but I totally understand. I have a very non supportive family and it used to hurt. I heard a woman on Oprah say this and it really gave me a much better outlook on families opinions or non opinions and help me to feel better about myself. She said "I don't think anyone can ever hurt me again because what they say or don't say is just their opinion and I am the one that gives it meaning." It really struck me and made me realize that it is how I feel about myself that allows others to make me feel hurt, so I choose to love myself no matter what and know now that it is them not me and I am not going to give it a negative or hurtful meaning anymore. I wish you the best and I can see a big difference. You are doing fantastic and you look great!
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but I assume we all encounter something like this in this weight loss experience. I think sometimes it's a part of our mind that is looking for failure due to fear of success.

The reality of the situation is that YOU LOST 76 POUNDS. The opinion your brother gave was that he didn't see it. No pun intended, well actually maybe one is intended, but what has more weight? He's a human being who undoubtedly loves you, but he screwed up. In an ideal world that would be it and you'd move on and continue the amazing work you've been doing.

Unfortunately that doesn't always happen. Look at the facts of this situation, you're going to get compliments, you're going to get nothing, and sometimes you're going to get criticized. Maybe if we prepare for all three, even from the people who are supposed to love us most, then we can figure out ways of slipping past the horrible feeling we'll get.

The next reality of your losing weight is when you reach your goal there will be no denying the work you've done. Focus on that. I know I've been where you are now, recently in fact. It's not easy but it's not the end of the world or the end of the work you've done.

Good luck :)
  • Murlin54
    Murlin54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    All of the above. You look great and the pictures show an amazing difference. A lot of guys are not very observant, and maybe less so in this case because you are his sister. He probably glosses over your weight to begin with, so it may be harder for him to notice. Not sure how he couldn't see it though, as it is very obvious. I am guilty of not being observant, but unlike your bro, I am the sensitive type and would definitely not have responded the way he did. I feel pretty sure I would notice 76 lbs, although I could miss lower weight losses. Congratulations on your wonderful weight loss. 76 lbs is awesome. I hope you continue your success and eventually when he sees you, his jaw drops to the floor!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said!

Sounds like he was too full of his own modest success to see yours. WE can all see it, of course. Your weight loss shows quite plainly, but you dont need him to see it, or us. You are doing this for yourself, and doing it well. Keep it up, buddy.
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh - I hate when people say stupid things - are you kidding me - you can so see your weight loss in the photos.
    Go and try something that fit you before and I am sure it is just hanging off of you now. Don't let it get you down....
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaagh, it just happened again!!

I spoke to my mum earlier today, and mentioned I'd seen my brother. I happened to say about his weight loss as I was about to update her on mine, and she said that he looked really good and a lot younger.

As I had a good result this week and am only 4lbs away from a 6 stones loss now I mentioned that to her, and she said ' Oh, well keep trying ' - and that was it!!!!!

I'm not asking for a medal, but a little more support from my nearest and dearest wouldn't go amiss - and for my hubby and 2 daughters who are also on this site, I don't mean you, as you're more than supportive to me and have kept me on the straight and narrow more than once LOL x
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you went through that.
    If your brother and/or mother are overweight as well, they may be feeling some jealousy towards your success, therefore they are (un) or (in)tentionally tryin gto bring you down by these hurtful remarks.

When I started losing, I would announce my losses at work, and my boss in particular would make somewhat snide remarks about how it was just water or oh it's a good start to how much I have to lose. Finally, I said to myself, I would stop talking about it.
    At around 30lbs, my boss took me aside and said to me "ok it's official I am jealous of you, you look better and better every day".

So keep that in mind... and keep on truckin along... you have no one to impress but yourself! And 80lbs is incredible!! Don't let it get you down, you will only let them "win" !:flowerforyou:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

I'm not asking for a medal, but a little more support from my nearest and dearest wouldn't go amiss - and for my hubby and 2 daughters who are also on this site, I don't mean you, as you're more than supportive to me and have kept me on the straight and narrow more than once LOL x

Your hubby and daughters are supporting you. That is AMAZING and wonderful. :) So think about that support, and don't worry about the non-supportive family members. :)