Oral Health and your diet!

Options
Hi fellow MFP members and friends,

My name is Silvia and I am Certified Dental Assistant in Kelowna, BC and fairly new to MFP. This site is amazing, and allows you to be more aware of your calorie and food intake. It has helped me a great amount to be more aware of my body and my food choices! The one thing I have noticed with this site, though, is that it focusses everything on food, diet, and exercise alone and nothing inbetween. This topic is about your oral health and how it links to your diet and being an overall healthy you.

Everyone is doing a great job on here trying to eat healthier and live more actively. Think about this though: The first step of your digestive system starts with your mouth, with the enzymes in your saliva breaking down the food and with the motion of chewing. You`re all very aware of what you`re putting into your body to be healthy, but now let`s be aware of what we`re putting in our mouths to have healthier teeth and tissues in order to have a healthier body.

Several diseases are known to be linked to having poor oral health and care (of course with other factors, not just oral health alone). But when you neglect or don`t properly take care of your teeth and tissues, you ARE putting yourself at risk for diseases with not just of the mouth but with your whole body as well. Gingivitis is one of the most common human disease in the world (yes, it is a disease), but it is also the most easiest to treat and to control!!! Improved daily oral hygiene practices is the only thing that prevents and reverses gingivitis.

Though gingivitis is only caused by neglect of brushing and flossing, dental caries (aka cavities) is caused by neglect and but guess what, THE FOOD IN YOUR MOUTH! You`re spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars getting restorations such as fillings, and crowns and having root canals (which btw is what I assist with! haha) when you can just take CARE of your teeth by first, brushing and flossing regularily, and second EATING HEALTHY! Oral hygiene and your diet almost contradict each other though. The healthy way to eat (so I think and what I prefer) is smaller portions and more regularily, but guess what, your mouth hates that! So in order to eat healthy and please your mouth at the same time you NEED to BRUSH properly at least 2-3 times a day and FLOSS at least once a day! Make it a routine, just like you make exercising and eating a routine. I also have a few tricks up my sleeves to help you make healthier food choices for your mouth and your body :)

You need to know, as well, that the food that cause cavities isn`t just candy. People always think: Oh..well I don`t eat candy, I cut it out of my diet, or I don`t eat chocolate, so i can`t get cavities. WRONG! Sweets on a regular basis are going to cause cavities if you don`t take care of your teeth, but also CARBS like breads and crackers cause cavities because they stick to your teeth and get into every little groove and crevice. That sucks because I love to have my sandwich for lunch everyday and so what do I do?

There are things you can add to your carbs so they aren`t harming your teeth (as much) such as, adding creamy avocado to your sandwich or cheese to your crackers. Fats are good for your teeth because they are slippery and can get those sticky foods out of there. Cheese and milk is one of the best snacks for your teeth because it contains caseinate which is a protein that is able to prevent the cavity-causing bacteria to stick to the tooth surface! AMAZING! My last tip is to chew gum in between snacks and meals! Chewing gum is great because it gets your saliva flowing (which reduces the acidity level in your mouth that causes cavities), and it kicks those cravings to keep snacking! Look for chewing gum that contains XYLITOL (most of Trident gum has it). Xylitol has an antibacterial effect against the cavity-causing bacteria! Also so amazing!!

Sorry this was so long but lets have a recap:
-Brush at least twice a day!
-Floss everyday!
-Cheese is a great snack!
-Chew that xylitol-containing gum!

Thank you for everyone who read this entire thing, even though it might just be a snore to you. I am very passionate about my health and the health of others, so I want everyone to be aware about how important your mouth is.

Also, Im not a dentist, doctor, or went to medical school so this is information based on my belief and facts that I have learnt in my dental assisting course. If there is any information that is wrong or you would like to add, feel free to mention it, but please dont get mad at me, Im just trying to help! If you have any questions, please ask!

Now go rock out with your floss and toothbrush people!

Replies

• capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That was a very useful topic! I figured all foods could give you cavities but I didn't know foods with fats could help reduce that.

And now I have confirmation that chewing gum (well, the right kind) is good for your teeth! I always thought it was a myth! Lol!

This is fun information that I like reading about! Just copied and pasted this into a notebook document to keep with me! :)
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Very informative!
    Thanks for posting this.
  • Ljohnverrell
    Options
    I agree. Great post! I think you should keep it going too. Oral health is really important to any diet. Have you heard anything about consuming raw cranberries being good for your gums?
  • SilverStar18
    SilverStar18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree. Great post! I think you should keep it going too. Oral health is really important to any diet. Have you heard anything about consuming raw cranberries being good for your gums?

Honestly, I did not hear anything about that during my schooling. But I just did a little bit of research and maybe not specifically to your gums, but cranberries are great for your teeth. Cranberries contain calcium, which contains the calcium casseinate protein I was talking about. This protein doesnt allow the bacteria that causes cavities to stick to your enamel, therefore, strengthening it. Also, cranberries are an antioxidant that prevent certain cancers, such as oral cancer. Oral cancer effects your gingiva, therefore why they would help protect your gums.

Hope that helps!
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Another reason my very low carb diet is a good way to go! :D
  • AnnaRocks79
    AnnaRocks79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Silvia, first its great to know someones name..LOL
    Anyhoo don't be sorry about posting anything like this cause it's awareness that gives people motivation. (I'm off to brush my teeth THANKS) Ya its that motivating..LOL Also you've given some great information to people who might only brush in the morning...where brushing at night is more important. ( 2 times a day is best but try to do it at night from all that food thats been going into the mouth all day its better not to sleep with it...yucky).
    Keep up those good vibes and positive ways to help others with different types and ways to keep healthy. Its nice to learn something new. (and something other then about weight) LMAO

You go girl! Great READ :D
    Anna
  • SilverStar18
    Options
    Thank you, Anna! I was very excited to write this and I put a lot of thought into it! You motivate me with your positivity and cute little comments just as much as I do for you!!
    And you`re exactly right, brushing at night is most important. But don`t wait until then to brush because you`ve had a lot of stuff in your mouth in the meantime and tons of yucky bacteria! I always brush in the morning, after lunch, and then before bed, that`s the best way :D
    I thought it`d be nice for people to focus their attention on something that`s important but not exercise or food, and switch it up a bit! :P
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I agree, but can you tell that to my 12 year old son? :ohwell:
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    this sounds weird, but i can't sleep if i don't brush and floss. i can be drunk as a skunk and i still brush and floss!
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It is important for everyone to know that all the blood running through our veins comes in contact with every part of our bodies. So if you have dental problems it most certainly affects your heart, diabetes can affect you gum tissues, GERD can cause acid to erode your teeth, it goes on and on
    Take care of your enire body!
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Great share, Silverstar! And you're from Kelowna, oh I'm so jealous. I spent some time out in Penticton a couple of years back & fell in love with that area. :)
  • ansinclair8
    ansinclair8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nice post Silvia! Very informative. I'm so glad to have you as my friend here on MFP. You always have kind, supportive words to say. Keep your good info coming. We all can use it :)
  • SilverStar18
    Options
    Great share, Silverstar! And you're from Kelowna, oh I'm so jealous. I spent some time out in Penticton a couple of years back & fell in love with that area. :)

Yeah! It is a great place to live. It is especially awesome in the summer time :)
  • SilverStar18
    Options
    Nice post Silvia! Very informative. I'm so glad to have you as my friend here on MFP. You always have kind, supportive words to say. Keep your good info coming. We all can use it :)

Thanks Ashley!! I am equally as glad to have you as a friend here as well!! Thank you for reading my post :)
  • mattquit
    mattquit Posts: 175
    Options
    good post you should have put the summary on the top too. anyways i didn't really read all of it just skimmed to the summary part haha
    good job being a dentist and i would follow your instructions now.
    how bout flossing twice a week? not every day
  • SilverStar18
    Options
    It is important for everyone to know that all the blood running through our veins comes in contact with every part of our bodies. So if you have dental problems it most certainly affects your heart, diabetes can affect you gum tissues, GERD can cause acid to erode your teeth, it goes on and on
    Take care of your enire body!

You are exactly right! A lot of people are unaware of how everything connects. I see so many people each day with neglected mouths and diseases left right and center :S
  • SilverStar18
    Options
    good post you should have put the summary on the top too. anyways i didn't really read all of it just skimmed to the summary part haha
    good job being a dentist and i would follow your instructions now.
    how bout flossing twice a week? not every day

Lol Im not a dentist :P But thanks for at least skimming through :)
    And sorry, flossing twice a week is not acceptable. After you eat, especially carbs which stick everywhere, plaque forms on your teeth within minutes and if you leave them there for days inbetween your teeth and into your gums (where you should be getting when you floss) you WILL get cavities, especially inbetween.
    You need to floss at least once :) make it a routine to do it BEFORE you brush your teeth!
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Look for chewing gum that contains XYLITOL (most of Trident gum has it). Xylitol has an antibacterial effect against the cavity-causing bacteria! Also so amazing!!

Good post -- important information. And, as an avid gum chewer, I love this added bonus. But, if you're going to have this gum around the house and you have dogs, be careful. Xylitol can be fatal to dogs.
  • SilverStar18
    Options
    Look for chewing gum that contains XYLITOL (most of Trident gum has it). Xylitol has an antibacterial effect against the cavity-causing bacteria! Also so amazing!!

Good post -- important information. And, as an avid gum chewer, I love this added bonus. But, if you're going to have this gum around the house and you have dogs, be careful. Xylitol can be fatal to dogs.

Good to know! I had no idea about that. They definitely didn`t teach me that when we were learning about gum and xylitol. Thanks for the info :) I want a dog some day so that is important!