work out at home or the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lauren_Whitney
    Lauren_Whitney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and at the gym. I have a mountain bike on a bike trainer in my room, as well as light weights and resistance bands hooked to the door. I just got Ripped in 20 as well. I try to get to the gym and run on the elliptical most days of the week. I only watch tv while I ride my bike, I have kind of conditioned myself to feel guilty watching a show while just sitting there on the couch so I never do that now.
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Home for me! I've belonged to gyms before and once I stopped going it automatically sabotaged my efforts (thoughts). I always find time to walk outside and do my tapes!

Whatever you prefer. Try both and see what you like better!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've been doing at home workouts for a long time, it's just more convenient for me to work out when I want, where I want, without having to go anywhere that I wasn't planning to go anyway. I also take some variation of my workout with me when I travel. Certainly gyms can be a place to gain knowledge, although I tend to reserve that time to the aquatic exercise at my local pool rather than gym. But to each his own. :smile:

2223754.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to both. At the gym, you have all the equipment you need, and there are people you can ask for help. There are also fewer distractions at the gym so you almost have to work out while you are there.

At home, you can jump in the shower and not worry about other people's foot fungus. You don't have to fear anything, because no one will see how uncoordinated or jiggly you are. It is convenient. It doesn't matter what the weather is like. Your home is open 24/7 and you don't have to put gas in the car. However, it is all too easy to just hit "stop" on the DVD player and go do something else.

Personally, I prefer working out at home at this time. I have tried the whole gym scene in the past, and I was self-conscious, because I couldn't keep up with the trainer, or go as fast on the elliptical as everyone else was. I just felt like a big, out of breath pansy.

At home, I can work out privately, and I can't compare myself to anyone else. If I'm out of breath, I just pause, drink some water, and go right back to what I was doing. I can always find clean clothes and a private place to get cleaned up. The locker rooms at the gym were kind of daunting for me.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I work out at home!
    I was JUST introduced to a website the other day and they have a kick-*kitten* 20 minute cardio interval workout. My muscles are dead! The only thing is, I don't know how to log this workout :/

just copy and paste this in to get to the webpage:

http://www.bodyrock.tv/category/daily-workouts/workout-archives/20-minute-interval-cardio-workout/

and you will see a page with "20 Minute Interval Cardio Workout" parts 1/5-5/5

The whole site has a ton of workouts to do with just body weight (which is perfect for me).... you just do as much as you can, its not like you have to match the instructors. (they all have super hot bodies...jealous!!)
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    My buddy's house is a gym lol so I work out there. Best part about it $0.00 membership fee
  • Galletakek
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I tried to workout at home, but lacked the motivation, I have gotten my best results since joining the gym and MFP. I'm motivated to go to the gym, I like the atmosphere there at the gym. There are some people that can put in a workout video at home and do that or use a home gym, I found out I can't, to many excuses at home to not workout and I had a treadmill, free weights, machine, etc. so I think it depends a lot on the person vs the program the use. P90x would do me no good because I wouldn't use it.

^
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    I personally work out at the gym. I have equipment at home but I just don't use it. But if I have gym membership I actually use it :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I have a very good home machine (BioForce), but I like IRON. Something about piling plates on a bar or a Hammer machine that makes it more appealing to me. Plus I have way more variety of equipment to use at the gym. Also at home I don't have mirrors on the wall to check form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I do both. I like to do my strength training at home and running outdoors. I like to go to the gym for cardio equipment, classes, pool, and hot tub.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I recently heard that people are getting better results using programs such as insanity and p90x versus working out at the gym. Thoughts?

I've had great results from P90X and Insanity.

But for me personally, I am receiving BETTER results now that I am going to the gym for weight lifting. I also push harder in cardio classes in the gym as opposed to by myself in my house.

I don't think one or the other is giving better results across the board...it all depends on the individual putting in the work.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I do both. I'm busy. I fit in what I can when I can. The gym is there when I need it and the pavement outside and hiking trails are my friends - unless it's crappy out. I like both. Although I guess outside is neither? I'll use dumb bells at home or do push ups/sit ups etc if home alone watching TV but that's pretty rare.

My husband prefers the gym. He hardly ever runs outdoors unless it's for a race or marathon and he's always been an avid runner.
    He likes watching TV at the gym - he hardly ever watches TV at home by choice so that's his TV time.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    At this point I am only working out at home. I find that I lack the motivation to go to the gym. The thought of having to go out in the cold, warm up my car, drive there, etc makes me want to just stay in bed. It's easier for me to just jump out of bed and go down to my warm living room, pop in a dvd, and have at it. And my second workout out of each day HAS to take place at home since I do it while my little guy is napping.

I also find that at the gym I'm too worried about my appearance and not wanting to be all sweaty in public to really get as good of a workout as I do at home.

I know down the line I'll need to get over this because I'll want to do some strength training and tone/build muscle but for now I'm content just to cardio the fat off at home. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for the gym it will at least be warm out. :)
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. Some people do much better in a gym environment. You know your own personality, so may know which is more helpful to reaching your goals.

I train at home, but I have a full squat rack, tower, bench, free weights with all the bells and whistles, calf machine, and for cardio stepper and tread. Still building my little gym. There have been days where the only time I have to train is 10PM, since my gym is my home, I knock it out.